Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:37 AM

20 posts, read 22,532 times

Advertisements

We are planning a two-month summer trip to Frisco/Dillon Lake (Coming from Arizona) and need some help from locals or those who know the local weather patterns to identify a destination that will best suit us.

We will be visiting for the months of July and August and our primary activity will be cycling the numerous recreational paths throughout the area.

Our concern is if the summer temperatures at this altitude will be comfortable during July and August, or if the temperatures may be too cold for us to enjoy the outdoors? A Google search shows me that the average highs are around 72 degrees for those months.

Can anyone familiar with the local weather comment and provide perspective on how comfortable the summer weather is in the Frisco area this time of year?
Should we expect to be able to cycle without wearing jackets and be comfortable?

Is it normal for it to rain every day in July and August?

Is there a predictable wind pattern that time of year on the lake, or are winds minimal?

If we determine that the Frisco area may be too cold for us to be comfortable cycling, then we may reconsider and visit Glenwood Springs.

Thank you for any comments or observations you can provide that may help us understand the summer weather conditions in the Dillon Lake area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 09:24 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,444,157 times
Not too cold. In fact i find it to be the optimal weather for being outside......but afternoon monsoons are common that time of year. If you are early risers and don’t mind calling it by early afternoon it is awesome.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Not too cold. In fact i find it to be the optimal weather for being outside......but afternoon monsoons are common that time of year. If you are early risers and don’t mind calling it by early afternoon it is awesome.
SkyDog77 - Thanks for your reply.

So when we are sitting outside on the patio in the evening should we expect to have to wear long pants and a heavy jacket to be comfortable?

Would the same afternoon monsoon conditions be expected in the Glenwood Springs and Boulder areas as well in July and August?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:04 AM

8,389 posts, read 8,602,374 times
https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?codill

Other cities https://wrcc.dri.edu/summary/climsmco.html
Glenwood Springs less rain, Boulder close to same.

Dillon area gets rain about 1 day in 3 at that time of year. Only 1 in 5 days gets more than minor amount. Use general climate summary table- precipitation.

Winds are usually not that bad but could pick up right before a storm. Micro climate conditions will vary with some exposed spots more commonly windy and more windy.

Likely would want jacket for riding in morning, maybe late afternoon. Early evenings will fall into 60s pretty quickly. By 9pm it will likely be in 50s, possibly less.

Glenwood Springs likely to have highs 10-15 degrees warmer. If you are cool adverse, go there, though if you ride at higher elevations it will be more similar to Dillon conditions.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-07-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?codill

Other cities https://wrcc.dri.edu/summary/climsmco.html
Glenwood Springs less rain, Boulder close to same.

Dillon area gets rain about 1 day in 3 at that time of year. Only 1 in 5 days gets more than minor amount. Use general climate summary table- precipitation.
NW Crow,
Thank you. Your observation regarding the 1 day in 5 getting minor amounts of rain is helpful, thanks for that information.

You are very correct to point out that most of the raw data that answers my questions in a raw data sense are easily available with a Google search, such as the precipitation data you have linked. I find it very valuable, however, to speak with locals who have lived in the area and know the local weather patterns and nuances that are often not learned just by the study of the raw data.

For example, I lived on the beach in Central California for many years. The summer temps on the beach average a very comfortable 72 degrees. However, heavy coastal fogs roll in routinely and make the beach unpleasant much of the time. This is the kind of nuance that the data would not reveal that a local would have knowledge of.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:58 AM

8,389 posts, read 8,602,374 times
Sure. I was sticking to what I could provide, fwiw. Hopefully you'll get more of the local input you want.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Sure. I was sticking to what I could provide, fwiw. Hopefully you'll get more of the local input you want.
NW Crow, the information you provided is appreciated. Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,444,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calkidwilly View Post
SkyDog77 - Thanks for your reply.

So when we are sitting outside on the patio in the evening should we expect to have to wear long pants and a heavy jacket to be comfortable?

Would the same afternoon monsoon conditions be expected in the Glenwood Springs and Boulder areas as well in July and August?
The entire state gets Monsoons. Last year was especially rainy, but that was an anomaly. Usually we see and afternoon storm blow through and last an hour or so followed by a clear evening.

Evenings I find shorts/jeans and a sweatshirt or micro puff jacket are fine. I’m not sure what you consider a heavy jacket, but to me those are worn in the winter when it’s in the teens. Definitely not in the summer.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The entire state gets Monsoons. Last year was especially rainy, but that was an anomaly. Usually we see and afternoon storm blow through and last an hour or so followed by a clear evening.

Evenings I find shorts/jeans and a sweatshirt or micro puff jacket are fine. I’m not sure what you consider a heavy jacket, but to me those are worn in the winter when it’s in the teens. Definitely not in the summer.
SkyDog77. Good to know. Will plan to wear our micro puffs in the evenings.
Regarding the wind patterns on Lake Dillon, are their predictable wind patterns on the lake, such as strong winds routinely picking up in the afternoons on the lake, or whatever. This is useful information to us as we will be paddling paddleboards on the lake and want to avoid strong winds when paddling.

I have read where the wind direction on the lake is notorious for constant wind direction shifts.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 PM

11,549 posts, read 52,918,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calkidwilly View Post
SkyDog77. Good to know. Will plan to wear our micro puffs in the evenings.
Regarding the wind patterns on Lake Dillon, are their predictable wind patterns on the lake, such as strong winds routinely picking up in the afternoons on the lake, or whatever. This is useful information to us as we will be paddling paddleboards on the lake and want to avoid strong winds when paddling.

I have read where the wind direction on the lake is notorious for constant wind direction shifts.
Having raced dinghy's and keelboats on Lake Dillon since the lake was formed by the dam construction ... I've got a long term outlook on being out on the water there.

On just about any given summer day, expect the unexpected at anytime. Be prepared for anything from glassy water drifters to 60+ mph blow-outs with whitecaps/steep and deep chop. There may be days when the winds come up and drop multiple times through the day. Due to the influence of the surrounding terrain, winds can be in widely varying directions only yards apart from each other.

(True story: I've had more than a few days racing my Laser where the adjacent boat was on the opposite tack to mine, parallel to my track, both beating to weather, dealing with the puffs/gusts and that boat ... only a few boatlengths from mine ... disappeared from my view when we were in the troughs).

You need to keep an eye on the clouds approaching the lake to be aware of potential winds/shifts. As well, it pays to look at the dam and the area near it ... oft times, you'll be further down the lake in calm/light winds and see the water "boiling" off the dam. Sometimes those gusty winds will reach you and be quite a challenge, sometimes they'll come down the lake a few hundred yards and lift. (We've had more than a few races out in front heading down the lake only to see the rest of the fleet planing down on us while we were in light air, being overtaken ... and then the wind disappeared as quickly as it had arrived. Such see-saw events in races there are not unusual).

Bear in mind that the average thermocline of very cold water is typically very close to the surface; hypothermia is a serious risk in less than 2 minutes if you're not dressed for water contact. I wouldn't consider racing my Laser there without wearing a shorty wetsuit as a minimum, and usually wear long pant foulies and a couple of water resistant tops over my soft lifejacket.

Of course, there will be summer days when such conditions don't present ... and there will be days when the calms don't present, either. Mornings usually better for calmer conditions than later in the day when the sun heats up the surrounding mountainsides. There are shoreline areas which present a bit more shelter from the strong winds and opportunities to beach your craft until conditions improve, too.

PS: am reminded of a national regatta weekend years ago when a Fireball class regatta was held at Dillon. A most pleasant sunny, warm, calm day ... inviting shirtsleeves and shorts sailing on Dillon for a lot of the out-of-towners who had little experience with the local conditions. A friend whose husband was racing got a vantage point overlooking the lake. The fleet was sailing downwind, spinnakers up, on the dam-to-Frisco leg in a moderate, non-planing wind, smooth water day. She photographed the scenes where a number of puffs came boiling up over the dam, rapidly overtaking the fleet of very experienced high performance dinghy racers. In a matter of seconds, the entire fleet from last place boats nearest the dam to the front runners were all capsized. Even the boats in front who could see the capsizes behind them could not react quickly enough to adjust their sailing angle/boat trim/douse 'chutes before they were overwhelmed and in the water, too. Fortunately, nobody was injured, but the experience was pretty devastating for many of the racers who weren't prepared for the dunking into the ice bath. A Fireball is not self-righting or rescuing, so it takes a bit of effort to get the sails/gear organized, right the boat, and then sail away to let the bilge drains do their work ... at least several minutes of time exposed to the cold water and subsequently being soaked and cold.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-07-2018 at 07:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado