U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:50 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,566,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
True, but having lived in Wisconsin as a kid, I can tell you there's a world of difference between here and the Upper Midwest.
Guess it’s all up to the OP, but (possibly) could hear him saying to himself or out loud “these people told me the winters would be milder here! I’m freezing my butt off and there is a “whiteout” of a snowstorm going on outside! What the “H” is this all about??”

Remeber, he could go without snow and cold altogether, which isn’t going to happen in Colorado winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 11:56 AM

602 posts, read 729,684 times
Look at Cañon City or Florence in Fremont County. For Colorado they have mild winters and don’t get much snow. Summers can get a bit warm but still nowhere near Arizona hot and it’s dry so you won’t have muggy heat like the midwest. Both are small towns with great access to outdoor recreation. Cañon City has a regional hospital, a Safeway and City Market grocery store as well as a Walmart. Big cities and all their amenities are not far, about 45minutes to Colorado Springs and 30 minutes to Pueblo.

Real estate prices are still attainable compared to other areas in Colorado. It’s a popular area with retirees but there is a lack jobs if you still need to work. They have a lower elevation and longer growing season so gardening is popular. There are quite a few farms, orchards and even a couple of vineyards. If you like to fish, the Arkansas River goes through town with Gold Medal Waters in the canyon. There is great whitewater rafting along the Arkansas River above town and for other boating Pueblo Reservoir is close or for smaller boats Brush Hollow. There is also great hiking, rock climbing and mountain biking in the immediate area.

Fremont County is home to several prisons, department of corrections is one of the major employers. This bothers some people, but I have never found it a detractor. I don’t live in Cañon City but spend a lot of time in the area. We go to Florence to the antique shops and In the winter we frequently walk our dogs in CC on the river walk trail or along the Tunnel Drive hiking trail because the weather tends to be warmer and drier than where I live. In the summer we take our rafts out on the Arkansas and through the Royal Gorge.

It's not what people condsider typical Colorado mountain scenery, but the canyons, rock walls and geology are beautiful. Depending on where you are in town you can see some mountains; the Wets, the back side of Pikes Peak and even the Sangre de Cristos and you can be in a high alpine setting within a half hour drive.

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 02-11-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 01:39 PM

158 posts, read 283,118 times
thanks all, I was looking at Canon (not sure how to make the little thingy above the n) city, for me it shouldn't be hard to find a job, as long as there is a towing company looking for a driver (with about 10 years experience in light, med, and heavy towing) I should be good.

the wife does office type stuff with numbers and computers and such.... not really sure what, lol

not really a retirement plan, more like a change of scenery plan after the kids graduate (one has 3 more years, the other has about 5 more years). instead of the kids leaving the coop, we told them the coop is moving

Old 02-11-2018, 02:28 PM

4,618 posts, read 1,307,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Honestly, unless the OP moves to Gunnison, Craig, or Alamosa, winters in Colorado will be considerably milder than Minnesota. OP is in St. Cloud, and the average daytime high there is at or below freezing from November 24th through March 5th (3 months, 10 days).

There isn't a single city along the Front Range Corridor where average high temps are ever below freezing. The lowest I could find was Greeley, and it's 39 degrees for a few days in December.

Overnight lows in the single digits, teens, and 20s are common, but the air is dry so it's possible to have a 20-30 degree diurnal swing in temperatures. Today, for instance, the overnight low was 7 degrees at DIA, but the high will be in the low 40s.

Wednesday it's supposed to be 60 in Denver. Guess how many times St. Cloud has seen a 60+ degree high in February. Zero.

Denver does get plenty of snow - about 64" per year, but it doesn't come all at once or stay on the ground for months on end.
Yep! You will mostly have sunny days with 40s, 50s and even 60s off and on in most of Colorado, particularly anywhere along the Front Range Urban area. There will certainly be cold days and even 4-5 day stretches at times, but it typically snows, dips down and then is back into the 50s in a day or two for a week or so before the next little storm blows through. Most of Colorado, with low humidity and sunny days is mild compared to any place in the Midwest.

If you're looking for something smaller, I would, as others have suggested, look at Canon City, but also Salida.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:26 PM

3,037 posts, read 2,060,708 times
30* @10% humidity doesn't feel nearly as cold as 40* @80% humidity.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,340 posts, read 39,613,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
thanks all, I was looking at Canon (not sure how to make the little thingy above the n) city, for me it shouldn't be hard to find a job, as long as there is a towing company looking for a driver (with about 10 years experience in light, med, and heavy towing) I should be good.

the wife does office type stuff with numbers and computers and such.... not really sure what, lol

not really a retirement plan, more like a change of scenery plan after the kids graduate (one has 3 more years, the other has about 5 more years). instead of the kids leaving the coop, we told them the coop is moving
Kids nearly ready for college?.... DW that likes 4 seasons??, DH who wants mild climate...???
Mtns, (+ Ocean) 4 seasons, Mild climate, high wages, no income tax, FREE Full Time college instead of High School.(tuition paid by state, books paid by student) = WA State.

Send DW home frequently... Direct flights to MSP 3 hrs. ~$100 (beats driving 12 hrs through CO and NE and IA or SD, BTDT 20+ times...) My DS flies from PNW (WA / OR) to MSP several times ./ yr... I limit my trips to MN to (2)/ yr, but ~ 1x/ month to Colorado.

Look into Spearfish and Sturgis SD while you are in the area... Mtns, jobs, no income tax, close to MN.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 PM

158 posts, read 283,118 times
I had considered WA state but currently ruled it out due to reading about constant rain and not much sunshine... have I been misinformed?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 PM

6,514 posts, read 10,159,939 times
Quote:
I had considered WA state but currently ruled it out due to reading about constant rain and not much sunshine... have I been misinformed?
Take what stealth says with a grain of salt and a few shots of vodka. He hates Denver and acts like Colorado peaked 40 years ago.

Western Washington is gloomy, damp, and summers are chilly compared to the Front Range. Eastern Washington (specifically Spokane) is drier, but the Front Range is still sunnier.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 02-11-2018 at 10:53 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 05:47 AM

6,893 posts, read 6,470,583 times
Quote:
Stealth thinks all 5 million+ people living in Colorado are crazy. He especially loathes Denver.

I travel nearly every week and haven’t found a place I’d rather live.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,060,708 times
Quote:
by "mild" I mean no long stretches of below zero, preferably barely in to the teens at the coldest. not staring at snow for 4-5 months at a time. personally if I never saw snow again I would be happy but she likes having four seasons
No long stretches below zero, yes that is typical. Not impossible but also not typical along with barely in teens at coldest. These points can be debatable as we do get some arctic blasts that will drop below freezing for several days at a time and if the wind whips up, its will be dang cold. We also get huge snows storms that roll through on occasion that wil dump a couple feet of snow. But it usually is gone within a couple of weeks, no more than a few.

Yes, the snow along the lower elevations of the Front Range will typically melt off over most of the ground. During very snowy years there may be piles of it from street and lot clearing, and after a particularly heavy snow it may linger for a few weeks. But it is not often that you will see months and months of accumulation just lying on the ground. Even when it is at freezing temps but clear, the sun does a number on the accumulation by slowing melting it into the ground despite the low temps that keep it frozen.

Which is another thing to consider, it can be 32* with a wind chill of 25*, but clear and sunny and the inside of my car will easily be 50* because of the solar impact. The constant sun here is a bigger factor in daily life than the snow and cold. We regularly get lots of sun and even in winter time, you will need protection in the form of sunscreen, lip protectant, or hats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or