U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:45 PM

185 posts, read 340,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyam22 View Post
I'm selling my house in snowy Summit County (it IS a ski resort...ugh) and moving to Canon City for pretty much the same reason as you. I worry about the summers being too hot for me and keeping me inside, but I have 4 ft of snow in my yard here for months and since I don't ski now I'm pretty much stuck inside. But in Canon, there will be early mornings and evenings even in the hottest periods where one can garden or sit out on the deck without getting blankets like up here. Last spring it was 100 at least one day in May. Everyone said "very weird year". Maybe. But I remember the heat in summer as being too much for me. My tolerance level is lower than most....I think 80 is hot! I'll have to work on this issue no matter where I go if I want less snow.
I love Cañon; in fact, I can't think of anywhere I've ever been that I would enjoy more for retirement. Yes, it does reach the 100 degree mark occasionally in the summer, but, after living over 25 years in the Deep South, I'd take 100 in Cañon over 80 in Dixie, any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 11:06 PM

711 posts, read 685,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
I love Cañon; in fact, I can't think of anywhere I've ever been that I would enjoy more for retirement. Yes, it does reach the 100 degree mark occasionally in the summer, but, after living over 25 years in the Deep South, I'd take 100 in Cañon over 80 in Dixie, any day.
Good to know. We spent a couple of days in Pueblo last spring but we didn't drive out to this area.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:27 PM

18 posts, read 3,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
I had considered WA state but currently ruled it out due to reading about constant rain and not much sunshine... have I been misinformed?
It gets exaggerated. Late spring through early Autumn (about 5 months) usually are very sunny. April flip-flops back and forth between sun and rain (April showers, May flowers, and all that). Winters are overcast. How much rain there is, and what kind of rain (misty vs. pounding rain) depends, but downpours are rare. If you're in MN, you're used to it getting dark early in the winters. No state income tax, btw.

As for CO, I'd recommend Durango, in SW CO. Definitely scenic, and just north of there: Ouray. in a narrow and spectacular valley, with a huge public pool that's heated by a hot spring. I couldn't tell you about trucking jobs, or other driving jobs. Durango has a college, where your wife might find work. I can't tell you about trucking or other driving jobs in the area. Here's what the 'net says about Durango winters:

Quote:
Winters are usually mild and sunny, and the average temperature ranges between 10 and 50 degrees. Due to Durango's location in a sun-drenched valley, snow removal stays manageable, despite a normal annual snowfall of around 71 inches.
"Sun-drenched", got it? It's a great area to visit, even if you don't settle there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or