U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:08 PM

815 posts, read 538,333 times

Advertisements

Greetings Colorado,

What was suppose to be a trip to New Orleans didn't happen and now my friends and I are looking to take a trip to Colorado. We've never been and I know it's a beautiful place people like. So we've planned a trip to Colorado at the end of this month.

Just have a few questions. I understand there is snow and ice in Colorado. Can I drive my honda with what it has (Michelin defender) tires? Do need a different car?

We're trying to go cheap, but trying to be close enough to attractive areas.

Any advice regarding where I should go and cheap places to stay would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,078,083 times
Your FWD car and Michelin Defender tires is adequate for Colorado winter driving in all but the worst conditions.

Prudence dictates that if you encounter a serious storm forecast and inclement driving conditions, it would be best to stay off the roads for awhile until conditions improve. The weather can change here very rapidly ... from bad to good and vice-versa.

Hard to suggest places to go without knowing what your interests are.

If you're heading to the mountains, this is prime tourist season and ski country isn't cheap. Even in a year when ski conditions aren't stellar, that's an expensive area of the state ... although "deals" may be found.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:46 PM

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yeah, we probably don't have enough money to go ski. I just was just looking for cool things to see, bars, music, stuff like that. I guess, that's why I wrote this.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,332 posts, read 39,595,005 times
If you are not skiing... Estes Park is a pretty close and nice destination. You can rent snow shoes for a nice trek in National Park.

Glenwood Springs is another nice winter destination.

Your Honda is a std issue acceptable car for Colorado (except in heavy snow... unlikely, but possible). Take your time... enjoy the journey (and getting home safe)

Northern NM is quite nice (similar to CO) and near to OK.
I like Mora Valley (north of Las Vegas NM), on the way to Angel Fire.

Southern CO is quite nice too. A great spot in south / central CO, is Wauna Hot springs. (Near Gunnison) we were Lucky to be the only guests, and the ranch family owners were quite nice to let us have the whole place to ourselves. A Snowy Winter night in a hot springs pool is quite a nice memory to take home. As are the evenings around the fireplace in a lodge.

If adults.... I stay via https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange .... free to $20 Worldwide.
If youth.... hostels or Couchsurfing. Plenty of each.

For youthful pleasures + Colorado... hit and stay in the mtn college towns... there are several great places. I am partial to Carbondale / Glenwood Springs.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:00 PM

6,893 posts, read 6,465,469 times
Bars, music, nightlife....you want Denver and Boulder or the ski resort towns.

Do you want to go to the mountains and see all the natural beauty or do you just want city stuff?

Couch surfing as mentioned above is not really a good way to go if traveling with a group of friends. Try Airbnb.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:20 PM

yes I'd like to go to the mountains. What exactly is couch surfing?

Old 02-10-2018, 11:52 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,078,083 times
you'd really help us out in giving you meaningful suggestions about destinations/activities if you'd let us know:

1) how many days you want to stay in Colorado

2) your budget for "cheap" lodging

3) and your budget for entertainment/music/bars

4) how much driving around the state you want to do once here.

Heading to Idaho Springs from Denver, for example, isn't too far away. Nor is Boulder or Fort Collins, both of which have a plenty of bars and music venues.

Bu heading to Gunnison isn't a trivial trip into the mountains, however ... you'd really need to want to do a lot of wintertime mountain driving after having driven quite a ways from Houston. (I've not driven Houston-Denver, but IIRC we used to take over 14 hours for Dallas-Denver trips ... Green Valley Raceway, back in the days when I was running a Ducati 250 ... and that was in fair weather months, not winter driving conditions.)

in prime tourist season now, the mountain resort areas/towns aren't going to be inexpensive for lodging ... especially anyplace that is even near to any outdoor snow activities. This is what many of these tourist oriented economies live for ... that winter snow season and the seasonal tourist dollars that are the bulk of their annual income.

in all candor, if you're not into snow sports activities ... you'll do better for a Colorado trip and seeing the sights in summer months, the economics are better. Plus the mountain driving will be easier during the fair weather months.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:46 AM

4,618 posts, read 1,305,927 times
As others have said, it's difficult to say until we hear more specifics about budget, time, interests and number of people.

Without knowing more of your interests, just off the top of my head, I would hit south central Colorado, coming up and hitting Great Sand Dunes National Park and head up to Salida, traveling up the Arkansas River Valley to Buena Vista and Leadville. These are all great little towns with some tourists, but not overly touristy as some other places are.

All have great hiking any time of the year, which can be done cheaply and free. You also have Mount Princeton Hot Springs along this route as well as the ghost town of St. Elmo. Now, there will be quite a bit of snow heading into the mountains, so just take it easy. You can also find breweries and bars in all of these towns.

From Leadville, you can head east along I-70 going through Idaho Springs and back down I-25 to head back south. I personally wouldn't come to a place like Colorado to hit a city such as Denver, but if the city is your thing, you may want to check it out.

As for lodging, I would actually recommend Couch Surfing if the budget is in real trouble. I have used it extensively and it can be a great way to meet people and stay for FREE. www.couchsurfing.com If your group is large enough and you plan ahead, you should also be able to find some decent Airbnb accommodations, which may fit into your category.

Make sure you're dressed appropriately, particularly for outdoor activities. As others have stated, the weather can be unpredictable and change rapidly, especially in the mountains. Just watch the weather reports, but other than a storm coming through it will most likely be sunny. Also, I'd wear thermal underwear, fleece and shell material and you should be fine.

There are plenty of outdoor activities other than skiing that time of the year, including simply snow hiking. Hiking that time of year is equally as rewarding if not more so than summer hiking and I would certainly do some while I'm here.

Once we hear more from you, we can give you more specifics.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:30 AM

6,893 posts, read 6,465,469 times
Please tell us how big the group is and what is the estimated per night lodging budget.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:30 AM

11,024 posts, read 12,361,150 times
Ouray
Telluride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or