U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:07 AM

204 posts, read 199,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I tried telling you in another thread but apparently it didnít get through...... Excellent health and being used to strenuous activity in no way makes you less susceptible to altitude sickness. In fact they may make you more prone to it.

Myths About Altitude
I don't believe you and I have ever discussed this, Sky. But yes I misspoke in my overgeneralization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 04:47 AM

4 posts, read 3,138 times
I think the people talking about staying there for a week or two are quite right, you can never know complete situation and comfort until you experience it first hand. Just try to get it on rent for one week and you will know. And please don't forget to tell us about your experience because now, even I am curious.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:17 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I don't believe you and I have ever discussed this, Sky. But yes I misspoke in my overgeneralization.
This is what i was think of:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/50949281-post6.html

Old 02-24-2018, 05:49 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times
Lhasa-Tibet, a city of 280,000 people is situated at an elevation of approx 12,000 ft above sea level, so apparently high elevation living is a way of life for a large number of people.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:05 PM

5,323 posts, read 7,172,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Lhasa-Tibet, a city of 280,000 people is situated at an elevation of approx 12,000 ft above sea level, so apparently high elevation living is a way of life for a large number of people.
Most of those people in Lhasa-Tibet also have a genetic mutation possibly inherited from Denisovans that make them more physically adapted to high-altitude living than the rest of us. Their bodies pull Oxygen from the atmosphere better than ours.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:20 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Most of those people in Lhasa-Tibet also have a genetic mutation possibly inherited from Denisovans that make them more physically adapted to high-altitude living than the rest of us. Their bodies pull Oxygen from the atmosphere better than ours.
Yeah, they must have something working in their favor to live full time at that altitude! I am quite physically fit and robust, yet when I get up to 12,000 ft on a hike, I am huffing and puffing. If I did it every day, I'd probably acclimate somewhat, but I can't imagine living full time at an elevation that high above sea level.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:00 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,818,915 times
Same thing is true of the natives in the Andes. I was on a train in Peru that stopped at a town above 14000 ft. Despite their adaptations, skin cancer is on the rise among those people.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:37 AM

311 posts, read 144,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post

Good Sunday morning reading material:

"Metabolic Basis to Sherpa Altitude Adaptation," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America: Metabolic basis to Sherpa altitude adaptation | Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences

Old 02-25-2018, 08:45 AM

311 posts, read 144,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Same thing is true of the natives in the Andes. I was on a train in Peru that stopped at a town above 14000 ft. Despite their adaptations, skin cancer is on the rise among those people.
At high altitudes, ultraviolet radiation from the sun has more deleterious effects, presumably because of the thinner atmosphere (less filtering capacity). In addition to skin cancer, UV contributes to higher rates of cataract formation as well.

There is an Nepalese ophthalmologist who created his own manufacturing process of IOLs (= intraocular lens) -- to make the lens more affordable -- so that he could treat those dwelling at higher altitudes.

Dr. Sanduk Ruit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanduk_Ruit

Surely a hero in my book . . .

Old 02-25-2018, 09:02 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
I'm having a pair of prescription sunglasses made, wrap around, almost like ski goggles but prescription. I must wear glasses at all times due to lousy eyesight and wanted sunglasses with all bells and whistles for my move to Ridgway (7,000 feet) in April.

My experiences in visiting (from sea level) are that I have to acclimate and cannot go further up too soon (for instance, a jeep trip to 11,000 the second day I'm there). No visits to Telluride until comfortable at 7,000 feet. Other visitors who were not coming from sea level seemed to have an easier time of it.

I know the one time we rode horses up to 13,000 feet and got off for lunch, I had never been so high before and breathing air was like drinking skim milk after a lifetime of whole fat.

When I trekked in Nepal, I went from the capital 5,000 feet to a town at 9,000 feet and then started the trek. The third day, at 11,000, I had to just lie around and wait to acclimatize. I spent about a week at 12,000 feet and felt relatively normal. When we went up to 16,000 and then 18,000 briefly, I could only go about six steps and had to stop for air. But I did feel I got used to 12,000 pretty well in those two weeks up so high.

I have no lung or breathing compromises, then or now. I don't expect any issue with learning to live at 7,000 feet or taking trips to 11,000 feet, just to acclimatize slowly. I am telling my potential visitors that, since they are all coming from sea level and they will just have to hang around and drink water for a few days, maybe take a mild walk, but that's it. You simply cannot rush it. Nothing like an altitude headache!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or