U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 PM

35 posts, read 23,973 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My girlfriend and I will be taking our third trip to Colorado end of March to gather more information for our relocation. We are Bay Area, CA (San Jose area) natives and a future here (Home purchase and family) just seem extremely out of reach now with the direction it is taking. We both grew up in small towns and are looking for a life of outdoors; hiking, biking and skiing. I understand CO has changed over the years and is more costly but as current survivors of the outrageous cost of living in the Bay we are prepared to "pay" for somewhere we want to be. We've been planning to move for the past 3 years and saving money. We write to you all asking for some advice about work and location that may suit us best.

A little about ourselves:
- 27 years old
- $140k combined income (Early career 3-5 years)
- $40k current savings for moving expenses (Will increase before we make a move)

Work
- Myself: Finance/Accounting in Semiconductor Manufacturing
- GF: Corporate Facilities Security Coordinator/Scheduling

We understand salary and work field are subject to change upon relocation. Finding work will be the first thing we do after we choose where is best for us. We plan to rent the first year then hopefully purchase a home when the timing is right for us.

We aren't a techy couple as we both grew up in smaller cow towns. We understand Californians are the last people on Earth CO needs, but we don't plan to "Californiacate" the wonderful state. We just want somewhere we can see ourselves owning a regular home and give us the opportunity for more outdoor activities and have pets as we grew up with dogs. We are used to the dry climate and we understand it would be a more cold/dry climate with shifting weather conditions in CO.

Any information regarding affordable areas to settle into that are within a decent distance to work place that still allow us access to outdoor activities would be much appreciated! We prefer more suburban/family oriented areas. So far, for work it seems Denver area or Colorado Springs would be the top areas for work/play. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:58 PM

20,312 posts, read 37,810,444 times
COLO SPGS will be a good deal more affordable than Denver metro area. COLO SPGS gets you into the mountains a lot easier than the I-70 drive west out of Denver as it's a terribly crowded drive during ski season. Slightly milder climate than Denver. Lots to do year round in or near the city without the crowding of Denver.

Still, focus on where you can get a good job and IMO the rest will fall into order once that is settled. There are fine places to live in both cities.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-19-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 10:47 PM

I think we are leaning more towards Springs. We've had enough chaos living in the bay area, we are ready for a more settled area away from the big city. But still close to mountain areas and Pikes Peak is close so still close to ski and hiking.

So far I see the best value in Springs. Next step is to see the cost of living ratio's and calculate salary relativity.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:27 AM

12,843 posts, read 23,217,682 times
Another vote for the Springs over Denver.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM

192 posts, read 114,308 times
When you first move, you might consider renting short term (like... month to month/ Airbnb) in the northern part of Colorado Springs or the southern end of Douglas County (southern Castle Rock, Larkspur). That would allow you to look for jobs in both Colo Springs or South Denver. Most of these communities lean suburban, and have great access to hiking year round. Then, once you find jobs, relocate somewhere closer to where those are.

For your GF - is there a chance she could take her Bay Area job and work remotely? That's what I did when we moved from the Bay, which gave us a lot of stability during the move. I ended up switching jobs later.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:17 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,552,887 times
You will find a lot more jobs in Denver and Boulder for accountants.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:43 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,462,156 times
Your prep and saving are wise.

A Castle Rock straddle might be good, especially initially, unless you both get jobs north or south.

Cost of living on most categories appears about 20% less in Colorado Springs compared to San Jose with housing way way cheaper to buy and way cheaper to rent. Savings in Denver metro will be less and depend on where you pick.

If you want a suburb, say a range of roughly how big or small you prefer, how long you are willing to commute (ideally) and give a price target for rent or house purchase and you'll probably get more good suggestions.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-19-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 03:13 PM

Ideally to reduce any financial hardships probably looking around $250-320k for housing purchasing. Rent around $120-1600.

Again all depends on our combined income and down payments. As for working remote I don't believe that is an option. I wish it was. We will be looking for work first before we move, I don't think it's really suggested to move without finding work first unless others have successfully done it.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 PM

12,843 posts, read 23,217,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalez11 View Post
Ideally to reduce any financial hardships probably looking around $250-320k for housing purchasing.
Condo or bad/marginal neighborhood in metro Denver, FYI.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 PM

Denver we would definitely be paying more but hopefully making more. Those numbers were probably more for Colorado springs. Denver probably looking at 2k+ in rent and 350-500k housing. If wages are relative.

All depends. Hopefully no more than 45 minute commute since were used to hour+ commutes to go 5 miles here in the bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado