U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:03 AM

2,048 posts, read 1,461,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Avoid thinking you can plant whatever you like. I had the eye-opening experience of watering a neighbor’s plants when she was away, in our old Front Range foothills home. The area was a dangerously dry fire hazard in many years. Anyway, she had a well. They later had to hire someone to drill deeper, something like 1200’!!!!

It took me TWO hours to water her plants, and some of them she confessed were real water hogs, needing daily heavy watering. Definitely not plants that would have survived without coddling. They also kept two horses. I never knew what incredible volumes of water horses drink until I took care of them for her and anothr neighbor (NEIGH-bor ).

Find out what plants survive in a fairly dry climate with seasonal temperature extremes. Or get a condo and let others take care of landscape or yard work.

Also, forget about washing your car every week. Yes, I knew someone whose BF did this. It isn’t necessary anywhere, except maybe during periods of plentiful snowfall and the concomitant MgCl2 or other salting. It isn’t yet outlawed, but do the right thing and minimize this practice.

Don’t have a swimming pool. Ever seen desert cities from the air, the ones where aquablue rectangles and bright green golf courses are everywhere? Well, those cities are sucking CO headwaters down for nothing more than a luxury. Metro towns have public swimming pools and some reservoirs allow swimming, if you want to take a dip.
i
Oh for crying out loud, washing your car regularly is not irresponsible and it won't ruin the state's water reserves. Please keep some perspective. This is an example of ridiculous thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 05:31 AM

4,334 posts, read 4,366,361 times
When Las Vegas needed to reduce water consumption, they paid homeowners to replace lawns with Xeriscaped landscapes.

Amid drought, the West is no place for a lawn, as Nevada has learned

"The Southern Nevada Water Authority pays $1.50 per square foot of lawn replaced with desert landscaping, up to 5,000 square feet. After that, it's $1 per square foot. Arizona and Utah also have lawn rebate programs."

For example, if your lawn had 7000 sq ft, the reimbursement would be $9,500.

If Colorado would do that, we'd have a huge drop in water consumption. Furthermore, it would move the mark. Suddenly, Xeriscaping would become the norm. It would prevent all those HOAs from enforcing their idiotic bluegrass landscape requirements.

Growing bluegrass lawns in arid Colorado makes no sense.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:01 AM

12,848 posts, read 24,501,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

If Colorado would do that, we'd have a huge drop in water consumption. Furthermore, it would move the mark. Suddenly, Xeriscaping would become the norm. It would prevent all those HOAs from enforcing their idiotic bluegrass landscape requirements.

Growing bluegrass lawns in arid Colorado makes no sense.

My town, in the historic residential district, allows only ten percent xeriscaping, because of dust on windy days. You can plant anything as long as it's ground covering. I'm having drought-tolerant grass in the back for the dogs, and wildflower meadow/covering in the front.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 AM

4,093 posts, read 2,067,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
i
Oh for crying out loud, washing your car regularly is not irresponsible and it won't ruin the state's water reserves. Please keep some perspective. This is an example of ridiculous thinking.
Depends how frequent “regularly” is. Read what I wrote, not what you substitute later.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:35 AM

379 posts, read 180,507 times
Colorado has water , I doubt they will run out . Be warned though its really dry and brown if you haven't been . It looks like you are in Florida. You are in for a rude awakening , I moved from lush Tennessee to Colorado , I am now back 4 years later. Colorado is beautiful , it borders the desert. It looks like Michigan is the place to be according to this map the whole west will run out of water eventually .

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peop...-ad/vi-BBK56iq

Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 AM

2,335 posts, read 648,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
i
I live on 2 acres in The San Luis Valley and have a well. If I did not have an augmentation plan for this well ($175/year), then using any water outdoors would be illegal, including washing the car or watering the dog.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:13 AM

656 posts, read 343,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Depends how frequent “regularly” is. Read what I wrote, not what you substitute later.
An automated car wash that recycles, only uses 10-15 gallons per car. That’s less than a typical person uses taking a shower.
You can find a lot more waste elsewhere.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:13 AM

12,848 posts, read 24,501,273 times
People wash their cars? I had my Toyota for 15 years in the salty East, no garage, and never washed it. No one ever bothered it, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or