U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 08:39 AM

334 posts, read 503,646 times

Advertisements

We are still "dreaming" about moving to the area near Lake Granby / shadow mountain / Grand lake.

We would only be there during the summer between around May to October (six months) but nearly a thousand miles away during the winter.

I could just winterize the house, turn off power and water and leave it for the winter but I am also wondering about possibly using some sort of rental manager and possibly generate some income off the house during the winter.

This may have been more of a question for the Cd real-estate section but I think in this case its very local knowledge that matters..

So first, is there even a short term (like VRBO or??) market in this area during the winter months and someone around to manage things.

And if so, what are the characteristics of a property that makes them attractive to this type of short term rental?

And finally, if you do this type of renting multiple short terms during the winter, is it generally a good experience? I imaging in that area it would be mostly snow mobile / hunting / ice fishing / ski tourning type folks renting and probably respectful renters??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 01:36 PM

621 posts, read 501,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
We are still "dreaming" about moving to the area near Lake Granby / shadow mountain / Grand lake.

We would only be there during the summer between around May to October (six months) but nearly a thousand miles away during the winter.

I could just winterize the house, turn off power and water and leave it for the winter but I am also wondering about possibly using some sort of rental manager and possibly generate some income off the house during the winter.

This may have been more of a question for the Cd real-estate section but I think in this case its very local knowledge that matters..

So first, is there even a short term (like VRBO or??) market in this area during the winter months and someone around to manage things.

And if so, what are the characteristics of a property that makes them attractive to this type of short term rental?

And finally, if you do this type of renting multiple short terms during the winter, is it generally a good experience? I imaging in that area it would be mostly snow mobile / hunting / ice fishing / ski tourning type folks renting and probably respectful renters??
There is a fair amount of winter tourism in Grand Lake, but your property would need to be located “in town” to have rent it consistently. I think most of the stores and restaurants close down for winter.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:21 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
The attractiveness of the property as a VRBO is multi-faceted and I don't think there is any one formula that makes it better or worse.

I could see some wanting solitude, some wanting a town experience. Others will want to pack 15 people in it while others want a quiet get away for a couple.

I'd suggest talking to the local tourism or vacation focused persons in the city or county and get some demographic and vacation statistic info to know what market you are going after, then decide if the property you want aligns with those characteristics.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:50 AM

6,529 posts, read 5,838,462 times
I agree with GRR that the town quiets considerably in the winter. That means rates will be much lower and competition for renters much higher.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:36 PM

334 posts, read 503,646 times
Thanks for all the responses! I looked at VRBO places in the area, looks there are a lot of them already. Common thing seemed to be closer to the water or mostly close to Grand Lake tourist area. If the rental industry did mostly shut down during the winter and the place sat vacant most of the time.. not worth the hassle and costs. Also there seems to be a lot of one bedroom cabin type places which we dont want. I think I would need to talk to someone who does manage rentals during the winter specific to that area but at the moment.. doesnt sound like winter rental should be a driver in picking something out as our primary residence. Best to find a place that can be pretty much shut be down in the winter. Still a several year away plan...

Old 03-13-2018, 11:01 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Yes I would focus on your wants and needs first and worry about rental income later. I've had a strong opinion on this forum for 10 years having many relatives and friends that have or had vacation rentals in the CO Rockies and that for most people it's not worthwhile unless they approach it as a job and do most of the work themselves.

I have a relative that has a vacation rental there. If you've never done it before it is a job and yes there are people that can help but it all costs time and money. My relative does most of the work themselves, manages it, cleans it, maintains it, but has to commute there to do so. They can call on someone to clean or assist with maintenance issues if need be but of course that costs $$$$.

Yes there are winter renters but summer is certainly the main season there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or