Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 08:13 AM

22 posts, read 22,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
From a similar thread (by the OP here) on the Arizona forum

Hobie TI? I have one of these and use it both in Colorado and Arizona.

600K.. you could be a snow bird although nice places in Colorado could take most of that or all..
Yes! We have a tandem and two singles. Probably the most wonderful water experience there is for this land lover 😁 Helps me feel I am still in control. We already have a home in Florida on the Nature Coast but were thinking of selling it and Atlanta home when retire. You have made me rethink that. Great suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 02:57 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,217,525 times
Yep.. I agree about the Hobie TI.. I had an AI for a long time but bought the TI when I retired a few years ago so both my wife and I could use it. And.. we have had a lot of fun with it.

FYI, if you are on facebook, a lot of pictures from both Colorado and the lower Colorado river are here https://www.facebook.com/groups/976272495795081/ or search colorado hobie adventure

Old 03-14-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Yep.. I agree about the Hobie TI.. I had an AI for a long time but bought the TI when I retired a few years ago so both my wife and I could use it. And.. we have had a lot of fun with it.

FYI, if you are on facebook, a lot of pictures from both Colorado and the lower Colorado river are here https://www.facebook.com/groups/976272495795081/ or search colorado hobie adventure

Great! I think it's sweet you and your wife can share a tandem Hobie😂 We did just the opposite...Had a tandem but couldn't agree on who was in charge.. so moved to singles!! Will check out the FB link, Thanks!

Old 03-23-2018, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,084 times
How about Coeur d’Alene, ID? Lakes, mountains, small town.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:53 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,434,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkdork3 View Post
Or Sand Point up there is nice too.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkdork3 View Post
and no income tax if you live next door in WA State. (ID is OK too)

There is BIG water in CDL and Sandpoint area (Navy used one of the lakes to train submarine, aircraft carrier and PBY pilots during WWII) https://museum.mil.idaho.gov/farragut.html
https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/th...-in-1590794426
"The Navy's Most Vital And Secretive Submarine Base Is In... Idaho?!?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pend_Oreille_River
Columbia River
Spokane River
Snake River...

And the wonderful fishing on the ID Clearwater and MT Clark Fork!!! (all VERY close by!)

Excellent camping... head a couple hrs north to Canada.

Skiing / hot springs...... BC, Alberta, ID, WA, and MT

Just a few of the choices (Most are closer than a trip from Denver ./ Front Range (kansas ) to good (and QUIET / no crowds) Colorado recreation. (only spent 28 yrs in CO for me)

Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

There is BIG water in CDL and Sandpoint area (Navy used one of the lakes to train submarine, aircraft carrier and PBY pilots during WWII) https://museum.mil.idaho.gov/farragut.html

A slight digression: I used to work for a Navy R&D agency in Carderock, MD, that maintained some work on Lake Pend Oreille with offices in Coeur d'Alene. The lake is not only very deep but also "quiet" sonically. By contrast, oceans are very noisy from a sonic perspective thus the testing in quiet bodies of deep water. I'd ship gear to the airport in Spokane and the acoustic engineers would go out on the lake, drop hydrophones down into the deep water and test various sound features of their gear. They were testing many things, including how to listen to Russian submarines since every propeller has its own sonic fingerprint. This was 45 years ago; the work still goes on and Google shows they have an office on Scenic Bay in Bayview, ID along with Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:17 AM

67 posts, read 108,703 times
You'll have a difficult time finding a single family home in Frisco for $600. But if you were to be interested in Summit County, Silverthorne is the small town in the county where you can still find those. When I first moved to Summit County from Westcliffe in 2011, I rented in Frisco, just blocks from Main Street. That was a beautiful large house that sold for $850, and I rented it a year and a half for $1100. That's the sort of rent deal you can find here in the summer season. I lucked out because they liked "an older woman with one small dog" being in it until the owners decided to sell. The result was that I fell in love with Frisco and thought that if I couldn't have a house in Frisco then I didn't want to be in Summit County. I rented a fabulous place on the river in Breckenridge for six months, but Breck is a zoo of people and cars and I never wanted to even look for a house there, and too expensive anyway.

Well....a summer of frantic looking revealed that Frisco was a pipe dream for me. Even a condo, which was and is an absolute no go for me, would have been difficult to find in my range and with my desirabilities.

So, reluctantly with a month to go before the Breck lease ran out, I begrudgingly began looking at Silverthorne. And that is where I found my awesome little house. It sits on a half acre in a nice quiet locals neighborhood two blocks away from the rec center, my gym, my liquor store, vet, Target, Starbucks, parks and the River, restaurants, the new art center. I'm under the shadow of Red and Buffalo mountains and can't look out a single window in my house without having a fine mountain view. People aren't lawn fanatics around here and I have the most stunning wild flower display most of the summer. Much nicer that lawn!

My point is, while Silverthorne suffered a reputation for being the worst town up here for awhile, as the others have become built out, more crowded, more expensive, Silverthorne has risen to take over the happening hot spot in Summit County. Lots of new fun things coming and in the works....including an entire new down town. The city leaders apparently have quite a vision.

You do mention you are tired of crowds, so I'd have to say, that right there might turn you away from Summit County. It's become awfully crowded. In the 7 years since I've moved here, I've seen the summer become almost as bad as the winter. Of course most are visitors or second home owners. It means crowded, frustrating parking and shopping at City Market, crowded restaurants with long waits, etc. And traffic situations that make me want to rip my hair out! But if a glorious lake is the most important thing, and you don't mind a short boating season, Dillon Lake is the most beautiful lake you could ever hope for. Just gorgeous.

I am coming to the end of my Summit County period and am putting the house on the market this summer. Although it has appreciated almost a couple of hundred thousand in the five years I've had it, there is still lots more room for values to grow here. You can still find sweet little places here.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:49 PM

59 posts, read 59,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pend_Oreille_River
Columbia River
Spokane River
Snake River...

And the wonderful fishing on the ID Clearwater and MT Clark Fork!!! (all VERY close by!)

Excellent camping... head a couple hrs north to Canada.

Skiing / hot springs...... BC, Alberta, ID, WA, and MT

Just a few of the choices (Most are closer than a trip from Denver ./ Front Range (kansas ) to good (and QUIET / no crowds) Colorado recreation. (only spent 28 yrs in CO for me)
I considered the Coeur d'Alene / Sandpoint area (also Boise & Twin Falls areas) as locations to retire to 3 or 4 years ago. All are beautiful, but drove me away from those areas after looking at the weather trends here on City-Data was the high percentage of cloud cover & low percentage of sun, especially during the winter months.

Mark

Old 03-24-2018, 01:29 PM

Oh Dear! It seems there are pros and cons for every area. We considered Coeur d'Alene but taxes and winter winter have us looking elsewhere. Many suggested Wenatchee Valley but I am afraid my asthma would not be happy with the Apple trees and the smoke from wildfires??? We then circled back to considering Grand Junction but still regret not being able to be on lake and near a good medical center.

Now someone has suggested Seattle area because of the water, milder winters, no state income taxes, and medical centers. I was just diagnosed with B-cell Lymphoma so the medical center in now a bigger concern. We are currently in ATL with excellent medical centers. We live on Atlanta's Piedmont Park with Beltline easy access to restaurants and shopping in Midtown area. I am beginning to think we should stay here😬😂
Sunset from back porch Atlanta.
Wants vs Needs Retirement-img_0278.jpg

Thank you for all your help and many wonderful suggestions. We have quite a bit of thinking to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado