Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 AM

6,813 posts, read 10,508,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
And there is an air quality advisory in effect for much of the Four Corners. No kidding! (cough, cough).
I think I'm getting a headache from the fire smoke here in Colorado Springs! I feel for the folks down there, I remember what it was like when we had our big fires here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 01:49 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,120,835 times
The smoke haze is thick today at 8300'. Boulder County better get it together and enact a fire ban. It's crunchy dry here.
Just heard about the Buffalo Mountain Fire near Silverthorne: Hundreds evacuated in Silverthorne for Buffalo Mountain Fire

Old 06-12-2018, 04:23 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think I'm getting a headache from the fire smoke here in Colorado Springs! I feel for the folks down there, I remember what it was like when we had our big fires here....

What we haven't talked about is fires from other states, and there is one in central Utah that has grown to 2000 acres. It is the Trail Mountain Wildfire and is pretty much a 3 hour drive west from Grand Junction. And with the 20 mph steady winds we've been having here yesterday morning and especially last night the skies were as smoky as I've seen in years around here in Mesa County. Uff-da!

It looks to be between I-15 and U.S. hwy. 6, maybe 30 miles southwest of Price. I'm familiar with that remote area, have camped there a couple decades ago. It's been going over there for about a week.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-12-2018 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 05:29 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
City of Montrose banned sale and use of fireworks inside the city limits. Fireworks also banned in the county.

BUFFALO FIRE June 12, 2018 burning one mile west of Silverthorne, CO. Multiple resources are responding including air tankers, heavy air tankers, helicopters, and ground crews.

Evacuations: Please contact the Summit County EOC for current evacuation information at 970-668-9730. Wildernest & Mesa Cortina neighborhoods above 20 Grand Road are subject to evacuations. The Red Cross Evacuation Center is currently located at the Silverthorne Recreation Center at 430 Rainbow Dr., Silverthorne, CO.

Closures: There are multiple trail closures associated with the fire including: North Tenmile, Meadow Creek, Salt Lick, Buffalo Mountain, Lilly Pad Lake, Mesa Cortina, Willow Brook, and Gore Trail at Red Buffalo Pass.

The Bocco Fire was reported on the afternoon of June 9th, 2018 burning approximately two miles north of Wolcott, CO. Within two hours of an initial smoke report in the Bocco Hill area, five tankers and multiple other air and ground resources responded.

An idiot flying a drone has shut down all air operations.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
There is talk, r&d, patent filing on different types of fire fighting bombs. Haven't come across significant usage... well, other than the Russians using a nuclear bomb to put out or try to put out a subterranean natural gas fire. Boeing wants a patent on a 3 pound fire retardant shell that can be shot all day / night out of an artillery gun.

416 fire moves to 15% contained. In effect it may be higher. They are pretty confident of their east and northern lines.

416 and Burro fire might meet in a few weeks.

416 fire team only has 5 bulldozers. That seem way low to me but I am not in the field, don't know their capabilities or how quickly they get stuck or broke. I would think though a couple dozen could be put to productive use, moderate or heavy.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:25 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
I At 416 command website there is a field for expected containment date. It now says July 31. It said June 30 before I think. I don't either date had any precision yet but the later date gives a general idea. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5822/

Old 06-13-2018, 04:06 PM

Montrose County is now under a STAGE 2 fire ban. No burning countywide.

The Uncompahgre-Gunnison National Forest is under a STAGE 2 fire ban. No open flames anywhere in the national forest.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:38 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
Seeing lots of friend’s pictures from Wildernest on Facebook. The pilots are amazing.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:34 AM

The National Weather Service in GRAND JUNCTION has issued a

* Flash Flood Watch for portions of southwest Colorado, including
the Animas River Basin, Southwest San Juan Mountains, and the
Highway 550 corridor including Durango and Hermosa. This
includes the burn areas from the 416 Fire and Burro Fire.

* From Saturday morning through Saturday evening

* Flash flooding due to heavy rainfall is possible, especially
over burn scars and areas of steep terrain. Water can rise
quickly downstream of heavy rain, even when thunderstorms and
heavy rain are miles away. Rock and mud slides, and high water
flowing across roads, are also possible which could impact
travel.

* Heavy rainfall over the burn scar area from the 416 Wildfire is
of particular concern. Residents near this wildfire and along
the Highway 550 corridor near Hermosa should prepare for
potential flooding impacts. Be sure to stay up to date with
information from local authorities.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:41 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The National Weather Service in GRAND JUNCTION has issued a

* Flash Flood Watch for portions of southwest Colorado, including
the Animas River Basin, Southwest San Juan Mountains, and the
Highway 550 corridor including Durango and Hermosa. This
includes the burn areas from the 416 Fire and Burro Fire.

* From Saturday morning through Saturday evening

* Flash flooding due to heavy rainfall is possible, especially
over burn scars and areas of steep terrain. Water can rise
quickly downstream of heavy rain, even when thunderstorms and
heavy rain are miles away. Rock and mud slides, and high water
flowing across roads, are also possible which could impact
travel.

* Heavy rainfall over the burn scar area from the 416 Wildfire is
of particular concern. Residents near this wildfire and along
the Highway 550 corridor near Hermosa should prepare for
potential flooding impacts. Be sure to stay up to date with
information from local authorities.

Hurricane Bud is heading our way, hopefully. We are halfway through June and Mesa County (actually Grand Junction) is 2.7 inches for the year regarding precipitation. Yep, that's for the year.

The situation on 550? Yea, that is pretty concerning regarding mudslides. We'll see what happens over the next couple days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado