Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:04 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times

Advertisements

^ That 50 acre fire is on an island. Some moron started a campfire and actually admitted to it on the news. Hope he gets a bucket of tickets and a bill for this.

During the BURN BAN yesterday I saw lots of people burning trash, fields and irrigation ditches here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Wildfire near Fruita

Sure hope DOUBLE H is okay!
I picked a great time to be in Denver!

Am here taking care of some family issues. The fire is about two miles from my house, whenever I'm away I have a good friend just stay there till I come back. I'll be back home Saturday afternoon. I got a couple of texts from Excel reporting the situation. Electricity is ok now, was out for a while as the fire hit one of the power lines that crosses the interstate. My friend called me an hour ago and said the north side of I-70 is 90% contained, the south side only 25%. Fortunately no homes or buildings are 3 miles west, the Colorado River swings at an angle near where that fire is and is just a little south of the interstate.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-20-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 02:53 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I picked a great time to be in Denver!

Am here taking care of some family issues. The fire is about two miles from my house, whenever I'm away I have a good friend just stay there till I come back. I'll be back home Saturday afternoon. I got a couple of texts from Excel reporting the situation. Electricity is ok now, was out for a while as the fire hit one of the power lines that crosses the interstate. My friend called me an hour ago and said the north side of I-70 is 90% contained, the south side only 25%. Fortunately no homes or buildings are 3 miles west, the Colorado River swings at an angle near where that fire is and is just a little south of the interstate.
Let us know that you are OK when you get the chance!

Old 04-21-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Let us know that you are OK when you get the chance!
Just got in a bit ago, will give the report regarding how this storm went and what the local stations say on the fire itself--will chime in later tonight.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-21-2018 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
^ That 50 acre fire is on an island. Some moron started a campfire and actually admitted to it on the news. Hope he gets a bucket of tickets and a bill for this.

During the BURN BAN yesterday I saw lots of people burning trash, fields and irrigation ditches here.
Well, let's hope THAT sort of activity doesn't happen again. The fire totaled a little over 200 acres, pretty much all fire departments in the area combined got it out. An advantage was the Colorado River on the southbound side as the river runs a couple hundred feet south of the eastbound lane of I-70. Google in "Skipper Island Fire", a few pictures and stories there.

The guy is a transient by the name of Mike Mewhorn who's been hanging around the GJ area for a while (I've seen him a time or two on his bike) Electricity was knocked out for a while in parts of the Redlands, parts of Fruita, and Loma as power lines that crossed the interstate caught fire. In regards to the bucket of tickets, well, yea, it will start with illegal camping and go from there. He should thank his lucky stars that no homes or businesses got involved. And, um, the locals aren't pleased with this business. And the end result? Well, IMO state government should make some hard decisions regarding campfires for the coming tourist season.

Fortunately the winds have been calm yesterday and today. No moisture is forecast for the next 5 days, at least for Mesa County.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:39 PM

On 04/26/18, at approximately 4:45pm, Paonia fire department responded to a grassland/forest fire on Jumbo Mountain in Delta County just West of the Delta/Gunnison County lines; south of Highway 133 by a couple miles.
The fire is reported to be about 44 acres in size, all in Delta County; part on private land and part on BLM.
The fire started on private land and is related to a control burn that got out of hand. This location is described as rugged terrain, scrub oak and some dead and dying aspen. Last night the fire laid down well and is 100% contained.
Paonia Fire, State Forest Service, BLM ,Juniper Crew, and Luke Odom with Colorado Fire Prevention will be monitoring the fire over the weekend and will keep us informed.

I heard it flared up again today and fire crews are back on scene.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:18 AM

.A Red Flag Warning is in effect from 11 AM this morning through
9 PM MDT this evening. Dry southwest winds will increase ahead of
a strong upper level low pressure system. Meanwhile, above normal
warmth will help lower relative humidity below 15 percent across
much of the area. The combination of gusty winds, low relative
humidity and dry fuels will result in critical fire weather
conditions.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:40 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Thought it looked like rain last night but it just passed on by.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

Well, IMO state government should make some hard decisions regarding campfires for the coming tourist season.
speaking of which, KKCO early morning news just a bit ago announced that all of Mesa County and the San Juan National Forest is now under a class one fire ban.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:58 PM

Well, fortunately some cool air is sitting over Mesa County. and will continue until Saturday. GJ's high today will be around 60 and thankfully very little wind. Only one problem with all this--no precip. The mountains at the 9000 ft. level are supposed to get some snow tonight, I checked Vail's temperature right now--47 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado