U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 PM

10,521 posts, read 11,628,203 times

Advertisements

On Friday, August 17, 2018, the Bureau of Land Management will implement Stage 1 Fire Restrictio...ns on lands managed by the Uncompahgre Field Office within Montrose, San Miguel, Ouray, and Delta counties as well as portions of Gunnison County. The following acts are prohibited under Stage 1 Fire Restrictions on BLM lands:
• Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire. Exceptions: Petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns or heating devices are allowed, as well as fires in constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed recreation sites.
• Smoking, except in an enclosed vehicle or building, in a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material.
• The use of fireworks, flares, or other incendiary devices, including exploding targets, are always prohibited on federal lands.
Exemptions to the Stage 1 Fire Restrictions include authorized activities of any Federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting effort in the performance of an official duty. Additionally, holders of valid BLM permits, leases and authorizations are allowed to conduct approved activities, but are advised to take extra precautions to prevent fire starts.
Visit https://gacc.nifc.gov/rmcc/dispatch_centers/r2mtc/ or call the BLM Southwest Colorado Fire and Aviation Management Unit Fire Information Hotline at 970-240-1070 for maps and updates to local fire restrictions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 05:35 PM

4,066 posts, read 2,055,040 times
It’s about time! Heck, the entire state should be under some level of fire ban.

As I began writing this, the cursedly few isolated drops coalesced into a shower. Then it backed off, hopefully to regather as contiued rain.

I know! As soon as it backs off again I will make a dash for fhe other building (the house). That ought to do it, mm hmm. Yes, leaving an item of clothing out to airdry must have gotten the ball rolling. All I gotta do now is tempt fate some more.

Later...
Ha ha. Made it over without getting soaked, then the Internet (satellite) croaked, as it is wont to do during storms. Back on again now, with the sun shining but very unsettled.

The thunder worries me. The big smoke plumes north of McPhee had subsided to a miniature of their former state, but when there is thunder there is also lightning, and it does seem that as soon as the firefighters plug holes in the **** [as in the little Dutch boy, dke with an I not a Y! your censorship rules are incorrect], another one opens up. Those crews must be getting pretty weary by now.

Last edited by pikabike; 08-16-2018 at 06:13 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 AM

Montrose County Returns to Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
The unincorporated areas of Montrose County are returning to Stage 1 Fire Restrictions beginning August 17th at noon. Conditions are extremely hot and dry and fuel moisture levels have returned to lower levels. In May, the Board of County Commissioners passed Resolution 2018-30 that authorized the Sheriff, the fire warden for the county, to implement and lift fire restrictions as necessary through the summer months.
“Cond...itions have once again warranted a return to Stage 1 Fire Restrictions," Sheriff Dunlap. “I would like to express my gratitude to the firefighters and team working the Bull Draw Fire and this is one way that I can continue to help them at a local level. To be clear, the fires in the county so far have been caused by lightening but the restrictions are necessary to eliminate any additional risk to our community."
The restrictions apply to the unincorporated county area and do not include the City of Montrose, Town of Olathe, Town of Naturita, and Town of Nucla. The stage 1 fire restrictions do not allow open burning of any kind to include agricultural burning, open campfires, and fireworks. Smoking cigarettes outdoors is not allowed, unless in an enclosed vehicle or building or in a developed recreation site. Campfires in a pre-approved campground, State Park/KOA, or enclosed fire pits are permitted.
Please be advised that penalties for violating the fire ban include: Class-2 petty offense with fines ranging from $100 to $500 depending on the number of offenses. If a fire causes damage to another individual’s property, additional criminal charges may apply. These fire restrictions will remain in effect until further notice.
For more information on fire restrictions in surrounding counties and public lands, please visit www.westslopefireinfo.com.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:47 AM

4,066 posts, read 2,055,040 times
Jim, thank you for continuing to post these alerts and updates. The thread serves as a chronicle of a bad fire year, something to never forget.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:12 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,109,755 times
I sure wish Chaffee County would reinstate the fire bans. We are dry, dry, dry, and the people at the vacation rental down the street from me had a big bonfire in the fire ring in the back yard. The grass around us crunches when we walk on it, so that big outdoor fire really worried me. But, nothing we could do about it, because no fire ban here

Old 08-17-2018, 05:58 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,681,120 times
The way this summer has gone where I live I feel like we need a "hail season" thread as much as we need a fire one.....

Old 08-17-2018, 06:21 PM

Delta, Montrose, Mesa, San Miguel, Ouray counties now under Stage 1 fire restrictions again along with all BLM land and the Uncompahgre National Forest.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:36 PM

16,169 posts, read 20,176,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
The way this summer has gone where I live I feel like we need a "hail season" thread as much as we need a fire one.....

I can't remember the last time it hailed in Mesa County! Well, hasn't been THAT long, probably 4-5 years ago.

And we WILL see moisture come wintertime, the way we've seen it so many times---(drum roll please)--It's the 50/50/50 express!

50 raindrops

50 snowflakes

50 m.p.h. winds

Uff-da!

Old 08-18-2018, 06:23 PM

Bull Draw Fire Statistics:
Start Date: July 29, 2018 Location: 12 miles northwest of Nucla, CO Size: 28,130 acres
Percent Contained: 21% Total Personnel: 307 Cause: Lightning Weather: A gradual drying trend continues today, with more significant drying Sunday and Monday. Today’s weather outlook is for partly cloudy skies this morning, becoming mostly sunny by afternoon with a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Afternoon winds will be 12-17mph from the west to northwest with gusts up to 25mph. High temperatures for the day are expected to be 78-83 on the ridge tops and 84-89 in the valleys. The relative humidity will drop to 13-18% this afternoon. Yesterday, the northern parts of the fire area received some precipitation, while the southern portions of the fire received none.
Current Situation: Due to higher humidity, the fire grew only 130 acres yesterday. This was the smallest daily increase since the earliest days of the fire. Most of this growth was a result of the fire incrementally pushing up UC, Beaver Branch, Garvey and Long Canyons.
Three masticators will continue thinning the forest edge and removing understory fuels along the Uranium Road as part of our strategy to contain the northwestern flank of the fire. As a contingency measure, crews are clearing vegetation, positioning pumpkins (2,000-3,000gal. portable water tanks) with pumps and laying out hose around the Uncompahgre Butte Communication Site and other structures northeast of the fire’s edge.
Today, crews will be working to further secure the fireline around the southeastern corner of the fire up to the Divide Road. Hose systems will be laid out along the fireline below the Divide Road. Crews and engines continue to patrol and mop-up remaining hotspots around the fire’s southern perimeter.
The western flank of the fire continues to slowly progress towards natural fire barriers. This western flank of the fire is unstaffed, allowing resources to be utilized on higher priority areas.
Closures: BLM and National Forest lands, roads and trails affected by the Bull Draw Fire are closed to public use.
Yesterday, the closure area was expanded. For specific details go to the Closure Map at:
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/…/relat…/pict20180716-201028-0.jpeg
Special Notes: Stage 1 Fire Restrictions are in effect for: National Forest lands on the Uncompahgre Plateau and Grand Mesa, BLM lands within the Uncompahgre Plateau Resource Area, unincorporated lands within Montrose and Mesa Counties. Specific fire restriction information can be found at – GMUG Info: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/home/…, Mesa County Fire Info: https://bit.ly/2MkFcQc, and Montrose County Fire Info: https://bit.ly/2PgT3t9.
For early season hunters in Unit 61 who may be impacted by the Bull Draw Fire: If you have questions regarding your early season license options you can contact Colorado Parks & Wildlife at the Montrose office at 970-252-6000.
Public health info: Smoke from various fires around the state of Colorado and other western states will continue to impact this area. For a detailed daily air quality summary, visit: https://www.colorado.gov/airquality/colorado_summary.aspx
Information Center: 970-578-0213 (hours of operation: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.)
For recorded info on area wildfires:
970-240-1070 (BLM Southwest Colorado Fire and Aviation Management Unit Information Line), and
970-874-6602 (GMUG Fire Information) which includes information on Forest Service road closures
Media Information Line: 720-593-9939
Bull Draw Fire Website: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6059 GMUG Email: r2_gmug_visitor_information@fs.fed.us
Bull Draw Fire Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BullDrawFire/ GMUG Twitter: https://twitter.com/GMUG_NF
Bull Draw Fire Email: 2018.BullDrawFire@firenet.gov

Old 08-19-2018, 03:45 PM

The latest smoke forecast shows smoke continuing to plague E UT/W CO through at least Mon. Moisture increases Tues and Wed as the strong ridge of high pressure breaks down, which should hopefully bring an end to the smoky skies. #cowx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or