U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 06:35 PM

16,187 posts, read 20,200,340 times

Advertisements

Thanks Jim for all the latest info!

KJCT is Mesa County's ABC affiliate and is now reporting the 416 fire is at 7180 acres with 10% containment.

ADD--------For the last hour the wind has been blowing steady, with 30-35 m.p.h. gusts.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-09-2018 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 06:57 PM

12,849 posts, read 24,506,085 times
It's been 10 percent since almost the beginning, while it keeps growing. People are saying that the air in Ouray is smoky, although not so in Ridgway. There was a shelter opened in Ouray at first but then it wasn't needed.

I went horseback riding outside Durango once in the area of the big fires that happened, when, in 2011? Very sobering to see burned stumps and nothing growing as far as you could look. Lots of flash flood areas on the road from burned watersheds.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:31 AM

4,282 posts, read 3,963,513 times
Meanwhile, a fire only 13 miles from the 416 fire has broken out here in Montezuma County. The fire known as the Burro Fire has started on the San Juan National Forest, approximately 23 miles east of Dolores, CO. It was reported at 3:45 pm in the area near Burro Mountain on the Dolores Ranger District. As of 7 pm, it was estimated at around 30 acres, but there has not been time for accurate mapping and it is growing.

This afternoon I was able to see huge clouds of smoke from both fires when I went out and stood in the fields behind my house. The forests in the San Juan Mountains are tinder dry and this is only the start of the fire season. Hopefully, we will get a good monsoon season with plenty of rain, otherwise we may be in real trouble. The severe drought impacting the Four Corners is nothing short of horrific. I have noticed that even the rabbit brush (aka Chamisa) is starting to dry up and die. I have never seen rabbit brush die off the way it is now. I always considered that stuff indestructible. Guess I was wrong. The fuel that is accumulating because of the die off of so many native grasses, shrubs and trees is considerable and very spooky.

Be careful out there everyone and if you happen to live in the wildland interface, make sure the dead brush and slash is cleared from around your house. It wouldn't hurt to have a contingency plan just in case, either.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:23 AM

12,849 posts, read 24,506,085 times
Thank you, Rambler.
I woke up in Ridgway to a definite smell of smoke coming in the window breeze. It's gone this morning but I know it was there.

I am following the 416 fire on Facebook and there are postings from the San Juan Forest there too.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:04 PM

16,187 posts, read 20,200,340 times
A red flag warning has been in effect for today for the western slope from the Grand Junction area to the Four Corners.

Local radio station KSTR noted on its news that 1600 homes are being evacuated north of Durango, was 1300 this morning.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:54 PM

10,562 posts, read 11,657,101 times
There's still a burn ban in Delta, Montrose and Ouray Counties.

As of 6:00 p.m. today, the #NattyFire, on Cooper Mountain, 9 miles north of Canon City in Fremont County, Colorado, was 70 percent contained at 79 acres. No private lands or structures are threatened. There are no areas under evacuation and no road closures. Fire crews will continue to actively work this fire well into the night. Tomorrow will be a red flag day for the area, with winds expected to gust up to 35 miles per hour. Weather will therefore be a significant driver of the BLM's firefighting strategy tomorrow.
More info: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5832/

Old 06-10-2018, 11:53 AM

621 posts, read 502,592 times
Small fires started in both Evergreen and Conifer late last week but both were extinguished. We havenít had any lightning recently so I always wonder how these things get started.

https://patch.com/colorado/golden/wi...l-evergreen-fr

Old 06-10-2018, 12:04 PM

13,707 posts, read 21,521,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
My friend and coworker was burned in that fire. Poor guy trying to protect his home, didn't think it would cross the creek or something, not properly dressed or equipped I would imagine.

He's fighting for his life now in an Aurora hospital. Gofundme set up on kktv website.

Guy wasn't too far from retirement either. Would have probably retired sooner if he could have. Times are tough financially for such a thing.

But in an instant, things can change like this.

Prayers welcome from folks who are into such a thing. Thoughts and prayers welcome from the Sigler family.
Got to go see our friend Tim and his family yesterday at a fundraiser in Boone. His mind is sharp as ever, he can laugh and smile, prayers are being answered and he will heal.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:24 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,470,290 times
The biggest fire in Durango area, the Missionary Ridge fire, was in 2002. Aspens pioneering some areas. Forest Service started seeding firs & pines in last few years after waiting / hoping for more natural recovery. Stumps, bigger standing dead trees and blow down serving function of reducing soil runoff or entire slope degrades somewhat. It is looking better. So far they've kept current fire from running towards that same area. Might not be enough there to sustain burn, yet. 416 has much more to feed on to west, north or south than east.

Possibilities of rain Thursday to Monday and late in month. Looking like monsoons will come in July & August.

416 fires jumps to 17,000 acres. Goodbye recently designated Hermosa Creek wilderness.

Still no homes lost yet to my knowledge.

Burro fire jumps to 500 acres at last report.

I strongly believe Forest Service needs to pre-cut fire lines into forest near populated areas and maybe more controlled burns for same purpose. Logging legitimately motivated by desire to reduce catastrophic fires should be an option.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-10-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-10-2018, 12:55 PM

10,562 posts, read 11,657,101 times
^ A friend pretty much ran for his life during that 2002 fire. He since moved out of Durango.

Just got a report from the NWS, toward the end of this week and in the next 10 days or so rain is forecast to be in the above 50% category for the western slope. I will run outside naked if that happens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or