Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2006, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,085 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from Portland OR to Denver, but I am curious to see if there are any Northwest people on this forum that have made this move to Denver? If so, what were the differences you found living in Denver? Was it an easy adjustment? Is the culture different in Denver, or about the same as the Northwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 03:50 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
we get less rain and more snow

We have several folks from in and near OR and WA, have sucessfully relocated.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:10 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,280 times
A lot more rain here at Portland and rarely snow. The crime is unbelievable. It is the meth capitol of the nation, literally. On the other hand the transit sytem here is wonderful and there is culture, arts, sports, the gorge for world class wind surfing. You can get to the high desert in a 2.5 hours and the beach too. Night life is pretty good, there are many different types of places to go to match your tastes. It is a very open population and very excepting of alternative lifestles. They say that Portland is the highest gay population this side of the mississippi besides Frisco.

If you have kids ... Portland closed about 5-6 Public Schools this year, a few the year before and is now closing another at the start of 2008. No money to keep them open, all of State $'s going to taking care of the kids they recieve from the meth problem. Most people are moving out to Vancouver WA or north of Vancouver and making the commute as usual. 2005 was big for that move and last yr was a huge moving year for it as well.

I dont know very much about Denver but Im sure someone on this forum can tell you. It seems to be growing at an amazing pace and have heard that the urban spread will eventually be bordering/crossing on Kansas. More High Tech jobs there and for jobs for Defense go due south I have read.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:18 AM

37 posts, read 126,418 times
I've lived in Denver for 6 years, so here are a few things I know about:

For jobs, I only know that the tech industry is doing well now... so if you're in that you'll do well.

For crime, it is minimal. I am never bothered and don't have any issues with crime here.

Traffic: Not bad at all, depending on where you live, work, and direction of travel. If you plan correctly, you should be able live close enough to work to not have an issue.

I don't think there's a lot of culture here, nor much nightlife in comparison to large cities. I will say though that the nightlife here is improving...but not sure at all how it comes to Portland. If I had a choice I think I'd live in Portland, because I am bored of the mountains. I would love to live near the ocean or the gorge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: