U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:14 AM

999 posts, read 313,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Not Wash Park today.
I ran loops there yesterday (the place was so empty!). I counted 9 trees down on the loop with at least 2 damaged cars. Pretty crazy. Any more go down after 6PM (when I left)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 549 times
Moving away from the front range (into the mountains) is the best way to reduce your wind. Or move waaaay east out of Colorado.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:36 AM

17 posts, read 10,364 times
After the wind storm last week we are so done with the wind! My Weatherbug app at one point showed wind gusts at 89mph in our area (Broomfield/Superior/Louisville) -- and this is without any rain or thunder or lightening. Just. Wind.

Again, when we lived near Cincinnati, we did have ONE TIME in 15 years when the winds hit 100mph. It was called a tornado warning.

We're reconsidering buying a home because we just don't want to deal with the damage and disarray the high winds cause on a fairly regular basis here.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:01 AM

3,003 posts, read 1,707,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoloradoexodus View Post
After the wind storm last week we are so done with the wind! My Weatherbug app at one point showed wind gusts at 89mph in our area (Broomfield/Superior/Louisville) -- and this is without any rain or thunder or lightening. Just. Wind.
Yup. We lived in Louisville for a little over 10 years, and my biggest weather complaint for that area is the wind. We initially had a patio table with a glass top, but that didn't last long and boy was it a mess to clean up the shattered glass. So we bought a really heavy one from Costco. That table top must weigh 300 pounds. We still have it (in AZ now).

Had to watch the weather forecast on trash day and recycle day to decide if we should put the bins out. On really windy days the bins on our street could get tipped over. Then there's trash all over the neighborhood and pissed off neighbors.

We never had any serious damage to the house, which I found surprising as there were a few nights the house shook so badly I thought we would lose some windows or even a big part of the roof.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:07 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,466,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartinCO View Post
Moving away from the front range (into the mountains) is the best way to reduce your wind. Or move waaaay east out of Colorado.
you're joking, right? Not windy in the mountains? Estes Park, for example, can and often does have hurricane force winds--enough to shake the whole house.

BTW, I once looked up data on the windiest metros in the US. No, Chicago isn't particularly windy. I recall that Amarillo was one of the windiest (you can tell by the way their shade trees look slightly bent in one direction.)

Old 04-23-2018, 07:17 PM

166 posts, read 76,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
you're joking, right? Not windy in the mountains? Estes Park, for example, can and often does have hurricane force winds--enough to shake the whole house.

BTW, I once looked up data on the windiest metros in the US. No, Chicago isn't particularly windy. I recall that Amarillo was one of the windiest (you can tell by the way their shade trees look slightly bent in one direction.)
Wind farms are built in West Texas for good reason.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:39 PM

13,165 posts, read 18,798,955 times
Kentucky?

Old 04-25-2018, 03:18 PM

604 posts, read 841,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartinCO View Post
Moving away from the front range (into the mountains) is the best way to reduce your wind. (
Nope.
I have several friends who live in the foothills west of Boulder and surrounding areas. They frequently have wind gusts in the 90-100 mph range.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:16 PM

189 posts, read 122,827 times
Look for a product called "shade sails." They're triangular or square, made of a durable woven plastic in various sizes and colors. They're made with a catenary cut, like some high-end tents, so they can be pitched taut with no flapping edges. Mine is installed above a deck that faces west, exposed to 80 mph winds on a high ridge that's completely open to the NW gusts. It's been there for over 10 years and looks like new. The key is to secure them with wire cable and turnbuckles, just like a nautical sail. Ours is stretched between the peak of our roof above the deck, a wooden 4x4" post three feet above the rail, and a low hook attached to the house wall. That gives shade from the sun for half the day, anyway.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,875 posts, read 37,577,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
Look for a product called "shade sails." They're triangular or square, made of a durable woven plastic in various sizes and colors. They're made with a catenary cut.... The key is to secure them with wire cable and turnbuckles, just like a nautical sail. ....
You want to use these with an adequate steel structure to withstand the forces to keep taut.

Our 'sail covers' built like this in coastal Thailand (on 32 floor) were on 150mm (6") dia welded pipe framework!!! no wood to be found anywhere in the attachment or frame system.

Having grown up in WY and NoCo (Haxtun and Estes Park) and now in Columbia Gorge (PNW) Very used to high winds. When the neighbor's cast iron furniture flies by like a kite, you know it's puffin out there.

As a kid, I woke up one morning (near Masonville, CO) and our neighbors new 'modular home' was GONE, blown down completely to the flooring. Furniture, clothes, insulation, sheet rock scattered in a few ravines and against the fences. That left a lasting memory. As did the airborne Chevy Corvair on I-25 at the Berthoud exit (wind gust while passing Semi-truck). Killed 3.

If you are done with wind, you need to get off the CO front range (and points east to appalachia or thereabouts (wind farms there too, so be choosy).

If you need / desire to stay in CO. Use the wind data noted on this thread, consider some sheltered areas within the mtns. (likely WEST of the front range). Topography matters, especially LARGE interruptions bordering the Great Plains! with convergence of Gulf and Jet Stream weather patterns. Surviving the 500yr Big T Flood(s) (twice) is an indication of the magnitude capabilities of Front Range weather. LOTS bigger things could happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or