U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:11 AM

17 posts, read 10,385 times

Advertisements

We live in the Broomfield area and are looking to move in the next year to 18 months. One of the things on our list of "wants" is an area that has less of the unpredicted high winds. It's difficult to have deck furnishings because the high winds (sometimes gusting around 60-70 mph) just blows everything around. And you can forget an umbrella. And we have had several occasions where roof shingles on our apartment building has been ripped off, not to mention the dust, debris, etc. that get blown around to the point it's a pain to walk the dog.

Anyone know of an area in the northern half - north of Denver, preferably not too far east - where the winds aren't as extreme?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 11:40 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,499,905 times
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're likely searching for a unicorn. The downsloping Chinook Winds dissipate the further east you are from the mountains. Moving east is not a cure-all, though, because you're more likely to encounter blizzard-like conditions during the winter.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:44 AM

5,019 posts, read 6,717,065 times
You might consider an east-facing deck since the Chinook winds tend to blow from west to east.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:45 AM

So I'm wondering if it's any better south of Broomfield/Boulder area? Our son attends CU-Bo so we can't get too far away but we would prefer to buy a home vs. renting so the idea of dealing with the damage from the winds is unpleasant.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
You might consider an east-facing deck since the Chinook winds tend to blow from west to east.
Our deck currently faces South, which is not ideal for us since all of our larger windows are facing South so lots of hot, bright sun all summer. Facing East might be our only hope.

I'm hoping for unicorns though!

Old 04-06-2018, 01:39 PM

20,358 posts, read 37,893,411 times
If living in an apartment, damage from wind is a landlord's heartache, not a tenant's, so I'd move this concern way down the list of issues to worry about.

Apartment decks are typically tiny and I wouldn't waste money buying outdoor furniture for a tiny deck. Just my two cents.

We had a home with large deck in COLO SPGS where we had the high winds sometimes; the back of our home faced the Front Range with a view of the USAF Academy. We had HEAVY deck furniture that stayed put in the wind. The chair backs (and seats) were a mesh material, i.e., the wind blew right through them as opposed to solid back chairs where the wind turns such chairs into sails that blow all around. The table had a heavy stone top. All pieces had a heavy metal frame, the chairs were probably 20 pounds apiece, the table a couple hundred pounds; the umbrella stayed in the garage when not in use.

Moving a few miles away won't change any of this, the wind is a regular visitor east of the mountains.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,908 posts, read 37,631,162 times
You can get current and historical wind maps using airport data,
http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBJC.html
https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KBJC/weather

or here
https://www.windy.com/39.938/-105.05...22,-104.996,10

Old 04-07-2018, 08:59 AM

This is all good advice, thank you.

We plan to buy a home for our next move so we'll have a large deck (maybe 2-level) for entertaining family, friends and my husband's fellow work peers so outdoor furnishings is an imperative for us. We do currently have good, heavy outdoor furniture but with the hot sun on the deck all summer we really need a couple of umbrellas and with the high winds its difficult here. (Btw, our current apartment is a large 3-bdrm townhome and our deck is actually quite large.)

Some of my husband's co-workers live near DTC and when he tells them about our "high" wind problems they are kind of surprised. They act as if they don't have the same level of wind gusts there as we do up here (frequently over 50mph). So we considered moving south but we would have to accomodate our son at school some how.

I'll check the historical data provided and see what I can figure out!

Thanks, again!

Old 04-17-2018, 07:10 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,452,856 times
I've heard the mountains are even windier though that may be based on living in the front range mountains. Many winds are created by colliding weather fronts...which may tend to "roll off" of high mountains.

I do know that this area is very, very windy and this year has been quite difficult. Couldn't hardly see the road today due to blowing dirt. Steel siding sheets were lifted from the ground and moved. My gauge showed speeds in the 60's which we all is misery.

Seems to me like the western side of the US tends to be on the windy side. Didn't see so much in Florida or N.C.

Didn't Wyoming license plates used to mention the wind? Windy Wyoming....where empty 18 wheelers may get blown off of I-80.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:24 PM

6,619 posts, read 5,907,920 times
Not Wash Park today.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or