Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:42 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,453,254 times

Advertisements

Apparently there is a company called Denver Recovery Center that is renting homes across the Denver Metro to allow drug rehab. This company is operating under the radar and occupying homes overnight with out many neighbors aware of what is going on. They are allowing drug addicts, alcoholics and sex offenders to live in neighborhoods with young kids near by. Since it is temporary housing and the occupants are out of state, the sex offenders do not have to report their whereabouts.

The neighborhood I live in had a home with 5 people living in it is now asking the city of Arvada to allow up to 12 occupants at 1 time. The Arvada law only allows 5 non related adults but there is some loophole they can get by because they are addicts. This house is 2 blocks from a K-8 Schoo.

Our HOA is trying to fight this with the city. We are not sure how much help either will be though. This group has plans to have up to 40 across the metro. We know they have 1 in Broomfield already.

Be Warned you could be living next to a half way house soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,193 times
I understand that this is worrisome, but if they are indeed "half-way" just maybe we could help them with the other half. I believe in the indomitable human spirit and in my work as a nurse I have seen how support and kindness is all that is needed to boost folks in the other direction.

I believe in structure, so if these are indeed half way as portrayed, perhaps community volunteers such are retirees might offer their expertise to provide an avenue for growth and development. We are all diminished by the least among us; let us generate more of the great feelings one engenders through helping others help themselves by welcoming not rejecting.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:55 PM

18,653 posts, read 33,220,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clgotay View Post
I understand that this is worrisome, but if they are indeed "half-way" just maybe we could help them with the other half. ... let us generate more of the great feelings one engenders through helping others help themselves by welcoming not rejecting.
I helped others, or tried, as a psychiatric RN for 37 years, including addicted people. I hope I helped some people. Many I would not want living next door halfway through their process (and relapses) and I don't have kids.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:03 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,590,216 times
Sammy, how much research of the city zoning code has your HOA done? Do you know that certain group homes, such as for people with developmental disabilities or the elderly, are permitted as a use by right in residential zones? Other group homes are called "conditional uses" and must go through a public hearing process. It sounds like there needs to be a meeting with the city zoning office to find out what process this proposed home is going through.

Your post was contradictory, first you say that they are "operating under the radar and occupying homes overnight", and then you say that they are asking the city of Arvada for approvals. How did you find out that they have asked the city for approval? And I think that your statement about sex offenders is wrong -- there is a National Sex Offender Registry.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:33 PM

18,653 posts, read 33,220,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
...And I think that your statement about sex offenders is wrong -- there is a National Sex Offender Registry.
Perhaps offenders do not have to report temporary addresses to the registry. At least that's what it soundsl like OP was saying.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:34 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,460,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Perhaps offenders do not have to report temporary addresses to the registry. At least that's what it soundsl like OP was saying.
That doesn’t sound right. I would like to see this verified with a source.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:15 PM

They had a neighborhood meeting with the company last week. I could not attend but from what everyone said its a pretty shady operation.

The property went for sale and was purchased by a woman who immediately rented it out. A company applied to be assisted living for 5 persons for the elderly. That never happened and it became what it is now a half way home for 5 people. They are applying for it to be up to 12 persons now which is why the city is reviewing the application.

Regardless of what business it is, 12 people is A. Illegal and B. A safety concern. Homes in CO are close proximity to each other and its a fire hazard to those inside and the neighboring houses.

From what I was told from the meeting, those recovering addicts are not well supervised, its self reporting so the honor system with sex offenders and drug addicts Im sure will go over well. The company was not forthcoming with the HOA about what they were actually doing with the property is a major issue. However, they apparently did the same thing in Broomfield and won.

There are statements from the neighbors that they can no longer can take their kids outside due to the vulgar language of the occupants. They naturally have concerns over how much their property value has declined now. Nobody moves into a $500k+ home and expect this.

Regardless of your feelings towards recovering addicts, nobody wants to live next door to this and expose their children to this. I have talked to several police officers who deal with addicts and those in recovery and nobody has a warm and fuzzy feeling.

The HOA and City are meeting this week to review their application. However the occupants are a protected class from whatever reason and get special treatment.

This is all pretty new to me, and I dont know all the details but if a HOA can tell someone to remove the American Flag, I would hope they can stop this.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
That doesn’t sound right. I would like to see this verified with a source.
The word from the meeting was that its an honor system of self reporting. CO also has 0 regulations on this type of business as well.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:06 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,573,073 times
These people are society's problem. They already live among us. At least this way they have to follow rules and have some sort of curfew.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:10 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,573,073 times
Honor system for sexual predators can't be right. There must be some kind of law that they must be registered to live at a certain address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado