U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:21 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,576,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Pueblo has the highest violent crime in the state mixing a dangerous drug with dangerous people is a recipe for a disaster!
Dangerous drug?????? Good lord we've gone back 80 years now. 88,000 people a year die from alcohol use & marijuana's a "dangerous drug"? You can't make this stuff up!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 11:07 AM

874 posts, read 924,258 times
Quote:
Pueblo has the highest violent crime in the state mixing a dangerous drug with dangerous people is a recipe for a disaster!
It’s not a dangerous drug, though Pueblo is a dangerous city. Would have made a great urban warfare training center if that Piñon Canyon Manuever Center expansion had come to its final form.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:14 PM

6,565 posts, read 5,856,251 times
I think you are all missing a lot of tongue in cheek from Born

Old 04-20-2018, 03:28 PM

5,186 posts, read 3,006,082 times
Just look at all those happy, successful folks enjoying life.

Disarray and trash? Impossible!

I would have thought cannabis was the #1 industry after a circle around the state last summer and watching people trying to drive and park. LOL.

Meanwhile the Netherlands has finally figured it out and is tightening up its once lax laws. Too bad we can't learn from their mistake. Cannabis Laws Are About to Change in the Netherlands | Travel + Leisure

Old 04-20-2018, 04:57 PM

6,565 posts, read 5,856,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I would have thought cannabis was the #1 industry after a circle around the state last summer and watching people trying to drive and park. LOL.

Meanwhile the Netherlands has finally figured it out and is tightening up its once lax laws. Too bad we can't learn from their mistake. Cannabis Laws Are About to Change in the Netherlands | Travel + Leisure
Portugal has it figured out.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:20 PM

2,335 posts, read 647,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

Did you even read the article?

It says they are banning it from use in a specific public place, a place where alcohol consumption is already prohibited. If you want to call that "tightening up", go for it.

It also says they are changing the laws when it comes to sales to tourists. They are in no way, shape, or form considering "tightening up" on the Dutch citizens enjoying it in their homes or in the coffee shops, like they have been for decades. I was fortunate enough to be able to visit a few coffee shops 25 years ago and it was quite a liberating feeling, especially since I come from one of the most marijuana-rabid-draconian-reefer-madness places in the world, Oklahoma.

You are trying to put a spin on it that isn't there. But fortunately, it is easy to see right through it.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:40 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,360,320 times
Quote:
The stats are misleading.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:54 PM

5,186 posts, read 3,006,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Did you even read the article?

It says they are banning it from use in a specific public place, a place where alcohol consumption is already prohibited. If you want to call that "tightening up", go for it.

It also says they are changing the laws when it comes to sales to tourists. They are in no way, shape, or form considering "tightening up" on the Dutch citizens enjoying it in their homes or in the coffee shops, like they have been for decades. I was fortunate enough to be able to visit a few coffee shops 25 years ago and it was quite a liberating feeling, especially since I come from one of the most marijuana-rabid-draconian-reefer-madness places in the world, Oklahoma.

You are trying to put a spin on it that isn't there. But fortunately, it is easy to see right through it.
Not a specific place but many specific places. Originally the liberal thought was that if cannabis were freely available it would take away the desire of people to want it. As with alcohol this doesn't work. People don't just use it because it's forbidden fruit. Surprised they didn't realize that.

If you google you will see that the problem is more complicated that that. There have been numerous quality of life problems including water contamination difficulties and complaints about behavior from citizens in Holland and neighboring countries. I can understand them not wanting to have tourism based on drug use and apparently the money advantage is finally being eclipsed by some of the problems.

The Netherlands considers the use of mood-altering substances a public health issue which I think is a reasonable approach to the issue. In light of relatively new studies showing the risk to people whose brains have not completely developed yet and the more potent strains of marijuana available now I think they are wise to take a more cautious approach.

(I can reference everything I've said here, and more, but you can easily find the same news reports. No spin. There has been a change since you visited.)

Old 04-21-2018, 01:40 AM

7,147 posts, read 5,956,039 times
I can actually take the perspective of people who want to keep it illegal because any mind altering substance when done in excess and by people with no self control can lead to problems, however in my personal experience alcohol is far worse when abused, and plus I'm a social libertarian at heart and believe people should have considerable personal freedom in exchange for being held responsible for their actions. Politicians and statists tend to be the opposite.. they want to restrict all freedom and then bail everyone out when they mess up... big ole nanny state mentality.

Rather than punish responsible people by banning marijuana and/or alcohol how about giving people caught driving under the influence harsher sentences, and if they are driving high/drunk and kill a person, they should get life in prison, not a slap on the wrist because the murder was not "intentional." Same thing with guns.. a felon is caught in possession of a firearm, throw them in prison for 10 years, don't give them signature bond and send them back on the streets.. what good are more laws when judges never enforce the existing laws or the laws are too lax? You just punish law abiding citizens while the criminals keep doing what they are doing.

On another note, as someone who lives in an area where marijuana is upwards of $400/ounce or $25-30 for 1/16 of an ounce of mystery product that you don't really know what you're getting, looking at the prices you can get in Denver floors me. haha.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:45 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,997,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Just to keep things in perspective...... Big, but not Yoooooooge

https://www.thecannabist.co/2018/04/...omists/103835/

SkyDog77 editorial: 94.5% of job growth in the state was NOT related to pot. Pot is not why rent and traffic are higher. Put down the bong.
How about HEMP? IMHO HEMP will be a bigger revenue source over the long run. Hemp requires much less water than typical irrigated crops like corn or soybeans. Anywhere where Winter Wheat thrives would be ideal for Hemp. Water is too valuable to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or