Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 05:27 PM

385 posts, read 323,794 times

Advertisements

About 1 1/2 years ago, I started to plan my retirement. I have always vacationed in the western U.S., and I narrowed my target area to Colorado's western slope. Over the years, I have vacationed in such cities as Durango, Silverton, Telluride, and especially Ouray. I have also hiked and camped in northern NM and southern UT. My son is in his thirties and moved to Denver about five years ago. He has really enjoyed it and has no plans to leave. (I recognize the distance between the western slope and Denver.) And I have been reading threads in this forum every day, and I have greatly benefited from the posts and advice.

I plan to move on March 1 in a U-Haul (I only have about one to one and a half "bedrooms" worth of move -- very little furniture; most of it, in the words of George Carlin, is "stuff"), and I want to rent for the first six months (or perhaps first year, depending on the length of a lease). I have decided to live in the general area in or around Montrose, but any one of a number of smaller cities may serve as a base of operations.

At this point, I am only going to focus on finding a suitable place to rent. From this forum, I learned that Craig's list (s.v., "western slope") is a good source for rentals in general. I don't plan to rent a house since that is greater than my needs. Apart from general Google searching, are there any other specific Internet sites for finding rentals in the western slope (or its smaller cities)? (I hope that I can find something for less than 950 per month.)

I am planning on making one (or perhaps two) trips to CO to look at rentals. The first trip will be in mid January, and a second will take place -- if necessary -- in February. I recognize that this is winter and will dress appropriately -- I did live in Chicago from 1980-87, so I know what a "real" winter is like.

I will need to become a resident, get CO driver's license, register vehicle (I will not be shocked by the cost), etc.

After getting acclimated, I will post again, asking advice on cities or locations I am considering living in (either buying an existing house or building a new house). I'm not there yet and can ask more informed questions after living in the area and exploring it.

General or specific advice is welcome . . . so that I can anticipate as much as possible and be prepared as much as possible. I don't have to find a job, so no restraints from that direction. Though I have much to learn, I have a general understanding that CO is not an inexpensive state to live in. I think I can fit in financially, both in terms of rental and eventually a permanent place to live.

Thanks for all the help already provided, and anymore forthcoming in this thread or other threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 05:33 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Rentals can be very scarce, depending what part of the western slope you want to live.

The west slope CL listings cover a HUGE area. Caveat emptor.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:52 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Where do you want to live? Rentals in Ouray, Telluride, Silverton are impossible to find and when you do very expensive (average $2,000-$4,000 a month). Less than $950 a month? Nope not gonna happen. I would recommend the Telluride Daily Planet, Ouray Plaindealer, Montrose Daily Press or other local newspapers for rentals.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Besides Craigslist for rents and Montrose Daily Press, you could consider posting a want to rent ad or ads (often with a pic of you). Some places are never listed. The owner may look for one or a few prospects that look & sound good and doesn't want to field 30 phone calls from maybes and non-desirables. Also could contact some property firms or real estate firms. They may advertise their stuff but if you tell them what you want, are a good prospect and ready to act MAYBE they might give you an early crack at a new listing.

Another stretch idea is to call visitors bureau and / or Chamber of Commerce or Senior Center or perhaps a particular church if you align with one. They might know somebody trying to rent out a place or know someone who does. Worst case you waste a few phone calls. Or maybe you learn something else useful. Best case you get a lead you might not otherwise get.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-16-2017 at 07:52 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 07:51 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
You can also look on Facebook for local area classified pages. I'm near Vail, we have Eagle County Classifieds and it is the place where rentals along with most commerce happens over craigslist.

If you don't have a lot of luck in the Montrose area you may try a rental in the Grand Junction area temporarily. It would still give you a great base to check the area out and make decisions about your next step.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:11 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Jim9251, what were the price ranges for the condos where you rented in Ridgway, and how did you find the rental?

And Townshend, are you open to a mobile home rental?

Old 12-17-2017, 07:24 AM

385 posts, read 323,794 times
Thanks for your replies.

No interest in renting in Ouray, Silverton, or Telluride. I recognize the price structure/scarcity of anything approaching affordable in those locations. A place to rent is just a base of operations for 6-12 months, to decide where I want to live permanently. I don't plan to live in any of those three cities b/c 1) Silverton -- no interest to me; 2) Telluride -- can't live in any place where Oprah owns property; and 3) Ouray -- fantastic locale, but pricey and too touristy in summer.

Checking local paper (e.g. Montrose) good idea -- I'll pick one up on my trip. Grand Junction would work for rental, though I ruled that out for permanent residence (prefer higher altitude areas; medical care scarcity in GJ). Thanks for suggestion of posting a "rental wanted" ad. I guess I will have to join Facebook to view information on there!

Mobile home would be considered for rental. I can go higher on rent -- I am not going to draw SS yet, but have savings to cover higher rent if need be. Just trying to minimize rental cost -- its a temporary expedient.

Craig's list "western slope" is a large area. I have looked at listings ranging from Delores to Rifle.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:37 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Jim9251, what were the price ranges for the condos where you rented in Ridgway, and how did you find the rental?
There are two properties there, apartments I would NEVER recommend to anyone and the condos that start at $1,100 for a one bedroom downstairs north facing IF you can find one. Most of the condos are for sale starting at $210,000 and UP. I've seen single wide trailers rent for $1,500 a month or more.

Ridgway is in the planning stage to build several studio rental units for "artists" and the like. I imagine they will rent for around $1,000 a month or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
2) Telluride -- can't live in any place where Oprah owns property;.
Actually Oprah has her place for sale, around $10 million last I heard. And rentals in T-Ride, $6,000 and up.

Junction has St Mary's Hospital a large medical facility if you're worried about medical care, but you also really have to like the desert howling winds and traffic to live there. Montrose has a good regional hospital and you might find affordable rentals in town. On CL in the search box type in Montrose and it will just how listing for that town. There is also a FB Montrose rental group.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:25 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Medical care requirements will rule out much of the western slope, even if you find a rental.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:18 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
OP, you mentioned "medical care scarcity in GJ". Grand Junction is the largest city west of the Front Range, with a population of 62,000. If you can't find the medical care you need there, you certainly aren't going to find it in Montrose (20,000) or Ridgway (1,000) or any other of the towns you mentioned.

If medical care is not a priority, I'd recommend Cedaredge. It's a really cute town at the base of the Grand Mesa and about an hour from Grand Junction via Delta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado