U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 01:59 PM

67 posts, read 93,438 times

Advertisements

I've read many threads on GJ and it seems to be a mixed bag. Good/ bad economy. Not safe. Thriving community. Drugs.

Would like info from people who live there regarding any of these ^^^^ topics. Are there certain neighborhoods to avoid?

Also, given they don't get much snow, what do ppl do for activities in the winter? Besides skiing at Powderhorn or trailering sleds to areas with more snow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:46 PM

3,757 posts, read 4,444,789 times
While it has been a few months, I lived in Grand Junction for a while and can answer many of these.

The economy is pretty heavily tied to oil and gas and to a lesser extent ranching. IF those 2 are doing well Grand Junction is booming, if it goes bad than Grand Junction struggles. There is a limited job base out there, if you are in the medical field the demand is huge, retail jobs are plentiful, there are some government jobs, but outside of that it is pretty limited when things are slow. Right now with gas prices improving and some regulations being cut, things should get better for gas and some ranchers I know believe they are going to have some good years coming.

Drugs are around and in some areas worse but no worse than many rural areas. I would avoid the city of Clifton and areas immediately around that area, and of course the college area as you will find the college kid crimes that you find in many college towns.

Many of the people that are in Grand Junction are there because they do not want to live in an area with a ton of snow. Glenwood Springs was a popular day trip with the people I met there, and they will travel for an occasional weekend trip to the big name ski resorts that are often within 3 or 4 hours, but believe it or not there are plenty of people in Colorado that want nothing to do with the snow on a daily basis. They live in places like Grand Junction to avoid the worst of winter while still having access to great summer activities.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 AM

513 posts, read 217,803 times
We love Grand Junction. So much of its reputation is based on experiences of 20 - 30 years ago when it was a boom or bust oil town. Today it has taken on a flavor that my wife likes to call a nice blend of northern California, Arizona and Colorado.

Good food scene emerging in downtown with Bin 707, 626 on Rood, Taco Party, Kannah Creek brewing. Thursday farmers markets. Lots of concerts. New concert venue right down by the river. Palisade was recently named a top 10 destination by Wine Enthusiast Magazine https://www.winemag.com/top-10-wine-...-colorado-usa/

You are within an hour or two of at least 4-5 national parks and more BLM land than any other county in Colorado. In fact the BLM lands are almost as spectacular as some of the parks.

A couple hours or less to Telluride, Moab, Aspen. 40 mile bike trail along the Colorado. Lunch Loops trails right out of town. Paddle sports. One of the only wild horse regions in the US. Tons of native American petroglyph trails.

All this with little or no traffic jams.

I am with JWiley in that I would avoid Clifton. Nasty part of town. But south, north and west all have nice areas. There is a cool historic district near downtown and a top rated golf course community to the south, Redlands Mesa. Probably the nicest neighborhood in the area with views of the Bookcliffs, the Monument, Mt Garfield and Grand Mesa.

Then you have the Grand Mesa to the east. Probably one of the most pristine areas left in Colorado.

GJ is still a big secret to front rangers, but I have a feeling in the next 10 years it will be "discovered".

Old 06-22-2018, 06:30 AM

I just read that the GJ Economic board is going to increase the hotel tax from 3% to 6% to have more business incentive funds and to attract more direct flights. They had a nice win recently by attracting an outdoor products company from Boulder. Boulder's RockyMounts moving to Grand Junction - Longmont Times-Call

Old 07-03-2018, 01:50 PM

Colorado is trying land the new HQ for the Bureau of Land Management - BLM and have it located in Grand Junction.

https://www.gjep.org/news-and-views/...rand-junction/

Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 PM

Colorado Public Radio has a good podcast on Grand Junction development.

Front Range Companies Move To Western Slope; Cooking With Palisade Peaches | CPR

Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 AM

3,160 posts, read 1,510,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Colorado Public Radio has a good podcast on Grand Junction development.

Front Range Companies Move To Western Slope; Cooking With Palisade Peaches | CPR
Yes! I heard this yesterday. Definitely worth a listen.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Yes! I heard this yesterday. Definitely worth a listen.
They are supposed to have another podcast about GJ tonight after 7pm.

Colorado Matters Podcast | CPR

Old 07-14-2018, 01:17 PM

The Redlands area of Grand Junction ranked number 1 for tax friendly places in Colorado for retirees.

Study: Local places top list of 'Tax-Friendly Places in Colorado for Retirees'

Old 07-19-2018, 10:18 AM

News article regarding the potential increase in the lodging tax to help obtain more direct flights, boost tourism and help with national events.

https://www.gjsentinel.com/news/west...04b9f6eda.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or