Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM

8 posts, read 24,797 times

Advertisements

I live in san diego right now and where the sun shines all year round...i drive a hundyai accent and im wondering if my car will do fine out there...we are moving in like the parker area...what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean minded View Post
I live in san diego right now and where the sun shines all year round...i drive a hundyai accent and im wondering if my car will do fine out there...we are moving in like the parker area...what do you guys think?
We have a great Colorado Index Thread.

When you look through that, you'll find some threads to read to get you started:

- What's your worst Colorado winter driving experience?
- Driving in the Winter Snow.
- colorado winter + tires
- Question About Driving?
- Do you need a Jeep?
- Hey all you Colorado car guys...need your input!
- AWD or 4x4 SUV??
- Tire chains / When Do I Need Them / Where to Buy

Old 03-27-2008, 04:14 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
That's front wheel drive, right? I drove a low HP front drive car with no traction control around in the snow and ice last month when I was there and it did OK. Hills were a bit tricky though. I think an automatic would do better than a manual in situations where you need to apply power very, very gently to avoid spinning the drive wheels. My old car had a manual and a lot of power on the front wheels and I wouldn't have wanted to drive it on ice. 4 wheel drive will increase your ability to get going on ice, but its not required.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
If you look through the threads that suzco suggests, you will find the preponderance of opinion is "no". You will find plenty of my posts there, too. I am with the majority. Maybe next time you need to buy a car, whether that is next year or five years from now, get an AWD.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean minded View Post
I live in san diego right now and where the sun shines all year round...
...what do you guys think?
Better get some wax on that car because it's even sunnier in Colorado.

Parker is a really nice place by the way.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:44 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,483 times
It's FWD - its a great gas saver, it has ABS and cheap to insure. You'll do fine w/ the Accent.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,793,604 times
The car will do fine, and if you're learning how to drive in the snow, a cheaper car is better. If you put Blizzak tires on it during the winter, you'll be in better shape than a lot of the AWD cars with all season tires.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
You would be better to get the cheapest and most fuel efficient car. You do not need 4wd or all wheel drive in the Denver Metro Area--they consume more fuel. I grew up in Buffalo NY and most everyone had was a rear wheel drive car with snow tires; here you only need all weather.

OK, some of you will say, I go to the mountains to ski and I need a big muscle car---not all the time, and unless your job involves driving much for sales calls--I would stay with a small fuel efficient car. If you one of the majority who goes to remote mountains, infrequently, then you can rent those whoremobiles when you need it; there are many auto sales pimps out there who maintain a stable. Or better, yet, try to live and work, in an area, that you can use public transportation Car Free living in Denver and maybe you can save gas, use your car less, or be carfree and really be free and
Livecontent

Old 03-27-2008, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 24,797 times
Wow....Thanks guys for all your help! I really didn't think I would get this much advice so soon!! I feel much better about keeping my car around now...thanks so much again!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:17 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,793,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
here you only need all weather.
An all weather tire will get you around, but a good snow tire will stop you in half the distance when its icy out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado