U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2018, 12:51 PM
 
437 posts, read 180,983 times
Reputation: 661

Advertisements

"finding a non-city, non-suburb, AND convenient fully-serviced (metropolitan burb kinda) place will be tough. Towns in CO did not develop like much of the eastern US—there is suburban development around big cities, but not many standalone towns that have more than the most basic services, like a post office and gas station. Some that used to be standalone towns become absorbed by the metro sprawl and end up as, basically, suburbs. You asked for privacy, close-by fishing and other recreation spots, restaurants, live music, and so in “within a 20-minute drive”."


Sounds like Grand Junction to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2018, 01:09 PM
 
Location: on the wind
4,214 posts, read 1,563,266 times
Reputation: 14955
If you start looking at specific properties, whatever else you do make SURE you know if you'll have water or rights to it, especially if the place isn't in a municipality. The situation is bad and getting worse because of all the CO dream seekers. Also check in to wildfire response, defensible space, and property insurance rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 09:47 AM
 
7,069 posts, read 16,003,895 times
Reputation: 4428
To let the OP know, in the Loveland area there is Boyd Lake, Carter Lake and Horsetooth Lake for fishing. We use to fish for nice rainbows in the No Wake area of Chatfield Reservoir, but we'd be in that area by 9AM. I hooked up our bowrider boat to our Durango while my wife was still sleeping. Spent many a morning, until noon, weekends at Chatfield and a few at Cherry Creek. I'm an "early bird", being that I was partly raised on a farm and spent some years in the Navy.

The lakes/reservoirs along the Front Range are rather small (Carter 1,100 water acres, Boyd 1,700 water acres and Chatfield 1,500 water acres but adding on), but for us, they would be perfect. If you are looking for huge lakes, like Powell, Mead or Havasu, Colorado don't have them. To us, we really miss the freshwater lakes of Colorado...….really. Making plans to leave Florida and move back to Colorado. We will both be retired and in our early 70's next year at the time of our move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Southern suburb of Minneapolis
21 posts, read 11,135 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No place is perfect, be sure to try out the clubs, groups, volunteer stuff once you narrow it down. (And the fishing too!). And why I usually stay with locals who share my 8ntersts

What I really like in MN, is wandering into your neighbor’s rhubarb patch if you run low... (few fences seperating yards / gardens.). There are some finer quality of life, benefits in MN... but I do encourage you to seek another spot for a season. I may end up at BECKETWOOD, ( on Minnehaha Park). But plan A is WY Pioneer Home in Thermopolis! (If I need SNF), Which my parents did since pre age 50.. I keep my application in the fruit bowl on the kitchen table. (In case I have a stroke or can’t talk. )

While amblitory, I travel a lot. (Very cheap). Thanks to SWA for free internet during flights (14 in last 5 days). Soon I will settle down. (When I am unable to GO]

Don’t forget the fishing gear. There is a very nice NoCo fishing club that will probably host you during your stay. Doc Brown passed away, but he would always accommodate me and my 95 yo friend for a trip around lake Loveland. As we walked by his home about 8am every morning on our walk around the lake.
Thanks, StealthRabbit! Yes, I do love Minnesota (and the greenery and lakes and rhubarb!) but I am getting less and less tolerant of the winters here. You may be right. We may just end up finding a warmer climate spot to call home for the winter season.
I had to look up Becketwood, which I had never heard of prior to your post and it looks lovely! A great "Plan B"!! (Although I know you are partial to WY)
Great idea to talk to the fishing club!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Southern suburb of Minneapolis
21 posts, read 11,135 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
"finding a non-city, non-suburb, AND convenient fully-serviced (metropolitan burb kinda) place will be tough. Towns in CO did not develop like much of the eastern US—there is suburban development around big cities, but not many standalone towns that have more than the most basic services, like a post office and gas station. Some that used to be standalone towns become absorbed by the metro sprawl and end up as, basically, suburbs. You asked for privacy, close-by fishing and other recreation spots, restaurants, live music, and so in “within a 20-minute drive”."


Sounds like Grand Junction to me.
Thanks, COcheesehead! My son traveled through CO last year with his girlfriend and that is one of the things that they were struck by. There seems to be very little "in between". Either you're in the middle of the hustle and bustle of a city or you are most definitely NOT in the city aka "drive at least 30 minutes to get to even a tiny basic needs grocery store". On one of their road trips, they passed a McDonalds but weren't quite hungry enough to eat so they said, "We'll wait for the next one down the road." Ha! There never was a next one (or any other restaurant for that matter). They eventually had to double back and it wasn't a short trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 05:19 PM
 
20,315 posts, read 37,820,570 times
Reputation: 18105
Here in the Phoenix area we have tens of thousands of snow birds who come down for the winter. In my gated community about a third of homes are either owned by snowbirds or by people who rent to snowbirds on a seasonal basis. Among full time residents we have some who look after vacant homes for a small fee. A 1600 sq ft 2/2 home can be bought here for $280k, or rented for $1500/month. Might want to try it for a season before you take the plunge anywhere. Website The gated 55+ area is called Trilogy and there are several of these around the country, to include the Palm Springs area. There are over 50 clubs to consider, indoor/outdoor pools, tons of golfing, bus trips, eateries, etc, and shopping nearby.

We lived in COLO SPGS for 11 years, left 2 years ago. It's an improvement over northern winters but consider AZ for wintering over.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Southern suburb of Minneapolis
21 posts, read 11,135 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
To let the OP know, in the Loveland area there is Boyd Lake, Carter Lake and Horsetooth Lake for fishing. We use to fish for nice rainbows in the No Wake area of Chatfield Reservoir, but we'd be in that area by 9AM. I hooked up our bowrider boat to our Durango while my wife was still sleeping. Spent many a morning, until noon, weekends at Chatfield and a few at Cherry Creek. I'm an "early bird", being that I was partly raised on a farm and spent some years in the Navy.

The lakes/reservoirs along the Front Range are rather small (Carter 1,100 water acres, Boyd 1,700 water acres and Chatfield 1,500 water acres but adding on), but for us, they would be perfect. If you are looking for huge lakes, like Powell, Mead or Havasu, Colorado don't have them. To us, we really miss the freshwater lakes of Colorado...….really. Making plans to leave Florida and move back to Colorado. We will both be retired and in our early 70's next year at the time of our move.
Thank you so much for the detailed fishing spots post! I can see why you would be wanting to move back as it sounds like your idea of relaxation is much like ours. Quite, peaceful time on the lake in your boat can't be beat. You would probably love the choices of lakes here in Minnesota. But, like us, you probably would not enjoy the winter months...
Thanks again for taking the time to share the great fishing info and good luck on your move next year! Oh, and congratulations on your nearing retirement!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
3,003 posts, read 1,700,797 times
Reputation: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen H View Post
I don't know much about Kentucky but really have never felt a "pull" to that part of the country.

It's either a joke, or Dave is getting a commission from the governor of Kentucky for each person he sends that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Southern suburb of Minneapolis
21 posts, read 11,135 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here in the Phoenix area we have tens of thousands of snow birds who come down for the winter. In my gated community about a third of homes are either owned by snowbirds or by people who rent to snowbirds on a seasonal basis. Among full time residents we have some who look after vacant homes for a small fee. A 1600 sq ft 2/2 home can be bought here for $280k, or rented for $1500/month. Might want to try it for a season before you take the plunge anywhere. Website The gated 55+ area is called Trilogy and there are several of these around the country, to include the Palm Springs area. There are over 50 clubs to consider, indoor/outdoor pools, tons of golfing, bus trips, eateries, etc, and shopping nearby.
Thank you, Mike from back east! Your post hits home. Our daughter who just graduated as a sonographer and works for the Mayo Clinic here in Minnesota wants to eventually move to the Phoenix area (Mayo - Phoenix). She tolerates the winters even less than I do!! Our son wants to move to Northern Minnesota. (One kid hates the cold and the other kid can't get enough of it! Just my luck....) In order to be able to remain in close proximity to both of our children it appears we may end up doing the snowbird thing!
Thank you for the info on AZ affordability (reasonable! Especially compared to CO!) and also for sharing general tidbits about living in the area. Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Southern suburb of Minneapolis
21 posts, read 11,135 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If you start looking at specific properties, whatever else you do make SURE you know if you'll have water or rights to it, especially if the place isn't in a municipality. The situation is bad and getting worse because of all the CO dream seekers. Also check in to wildfire response, defensible space, and property insurance rates.
Great things to keep in mind as we get closer to making a decision on where we will end up. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top