Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 04:38 PM

753 posts, read 838,459 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to come out to Colorado for several years and it's finally happening.

Flying out for a week in late in April. Will be flying into Denver and renting a car for driving south into North/Central NM and back.

I'll be dropping by a parcel of land I own in Colorado City and plan to drive through the SLV to Taos. On the way back from NM will plan to spend some time in Pueblo/CO Springs/Denver areas.

I also own land in Moriarty, NM, so that's where I'll be heading there and spending at least one night in Santa Fe.

Want to possibly see Red Rocks and/or Garden of the Gods. Maybe the Sand Dunes in SLV.

Thoughts, comments, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 05:53 PM

914 posts, read 2,188,961 times
To go the most direct route entails a round trip of 900 miles.

As for what to see, that depends so much on what your interests are. As a comment, be prepared for alternate routes and plans as weather in the high country can be so variable.

I suggest you begin your trip by seeing whatever interests you in Denver. This gives you a day to begin acclimating to the altitude. Travel west on I-70 to Copper Mountain, drop down through Leadville, Buena Vista, and Salida. From there you have a choice of routes to the Great Sand Dunes and then on down through Taos, Santa Fe, and on to your destination. The scenery is spectacular, it is very nearly the shortest route anyway, and you can choose from any number of interesting things to do or see.

You can finish your trip by coming back from the SLV through Pueblo and finish up in Colorado Springs. You will then have a choice of places to stay the night before your departure on the southeast side of Denver, or at the airport itself.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,605,891 times
How much time are you going to spend on your land? Doing anything with them anytime soon? Talk with neighbors?

Old 04-01-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
To go the most direct route entails a round trip of 900 miles.

As for what to see, that depends so much on what your interests are. As a comment, be prepared for alternate routes and plans as weather in the high country can be so variable.

I suggest you begin your trip by seeing whatever interests you in Denver. This gives you a day to begin acclimating to the altitude. Travel west on I-70 to Copper Mountain, drop down through Leadville, Buena Vista, and Salida. From there you have a choice of routes to the Great Sand Dunes and then on down through Taos, Santa Fe, and on to your destination. The scenery is spectacular, it is very nearly the shortest route anyway, and you can choose from any number of interesting things to do or see.

You can finish your trip by coming back from the SLV through Pueblo and finish up in Colorado Springs. You will then have a choice of places to stay the night before your departure on the southeast side of Denver, or at the airport itself.
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to really think over what you've mentioned.

I, just recently, had considered staying in Denver for that first day to acclimate. My first thought was, since it'll be mid-week when I get there, to start my "land viewing" tour by heading down the freeway to Colorado City and then back up for a night in Pueblo. Then make my way through the SLV the next day and land in Taos for a night or drive on to Santa Fe.

But, now I'm going to think about your suggestion of I-70 west then down through SLV.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
How much time are you going to spend on your land? Doing anything with them anytime soon? Talk with neighbors?
I'll just be quickly visiting both properties. I acquired these parcels in a unique way (bartering my freelance writing and social media management services). So, mainly just wanted to set foot on them. Take some photos. Possibly meet a neighbor or two. Although, neither have a truly close neighbor.

I, actually, had a member of the forum take photos of the CO City property back several years ago when I was selecting it.

I'm not sure I'll ever use either property but I think this trip will determine more about my plans.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:26 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,446,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
I'll just be quickly visiting both properties. I acquired these parcels in a unique way (bartering my freelance writing and social media management services). So, mainly just wanted to set foot on them. Take some photos. Possibly meet a neighbor or two. Although, neither have a truly close neighbor.

I, actually, had a member of the forum take photos of the CO City property back several years ago when I was selecting it.

I'm not sure I'll ever use either property but I think this trip will determine more about my plans.
I think Aarby gave a good itinerary. If you decide you want to try to do something with the land, spend some time familiarizing yourself with water.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,505,129 times
One week
Lots to do (Majority in No NM)

the route through I-70 / Leadville / south is gonna KILL your average time / total distance (and deserves time itself (separate) trip).

Depends what time you are getting into DEN, and from what time zone.

Personally... I would SCOOT as far from DEN the first evening as reasonable, or at least to your first stop (Colo City) (I usually drive most of the night if possible, and would probably head on to Taos). Since you want to make sure you make your return flight... you will want to arrive back in Denver area with plenty of buffer time (few hours). That is the time I would allot to Denver area. You can always come back for city stuff.
1) do what needs to be done
2) do outdoor stuff during daylight
3) Drive / eat / do computer stuff / plans during the DARKNESS!

Really depends on your departure and arrival times, but I would do a loop (probably I-25 during the dark North or South). 285 during daylight. (N or S)

I have done runs from DEN to NM may times and it is a long ways!

If you have a bunch of extra time you can venture west on Ii-70, but there is a lot to do there, so enjoy the trip and plan your next! (Glenwood / Aspen / Independence Pass, Buena Vista, Leadville, Gunnison, a few days required)

Old 04-10-2018, 10:21 PM

I do appreciate all of your responses!

We arrive late on a Tuesday night. So, all I plan to do is grab the rental car and I have a hotel in Stapleton.

My plan was to start driving south the next morning down to Colorado City to see my first parcel of land. I'm pretty eager to see it! My other thought for leaving Denver pretty fast was to possibly get back to it for the last part of the weekend.

I thought we may backtrack to Pueblo for that night before driving through the La Veta Pass into SLV through Ft. Garland and San Luis down into Taos for the next night.

Here's my question at this point. I rented a mid-size car like a Toyota Corolla not really thinking about what this drive might entail. Do I need to upgrade the vehicle? I'm ignorant on this.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 AM

8,389 posts, read 8,605,891 times
At this time of year, in current weather, it should be fine. Gas mileage. Assuming you are not hauling a lot of stuff or buying a lot of stuff. Or the access roads to your properties aren't rough and long or wet. If in doubt, back off.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:12 AM

6,801 posts, read 10,431,173 times
I would stick to the Interstate to get down to Colorado City fast - you can get over to the SLV and come back via mountains if the weather is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado