Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM

19 posts, read 62,043 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I was reading through the "Pueblo and Southern Colorado" thread and I found a lot of valuable information in there. Great job, Josseppie.

I'm currently attending Kansas Wesleyan University in Salina and my girlfriend and I are wanting to move to Colorado once we finish up school in December. We've looked into areas like Fort Collins and Boulder, but it seems like it would be tough for a young couple to make it in either one of those cities because of the extremely high cost of living.

Neither one of us are big on living in big cities, so we've ruled out Denver and Colorado Springs. Pueblo seems to be a perfect fit for us, but the only thing we're concerned about is the job market.

With that said, what is demand like for someone with an accounting degree (my girlfriend) and someone with a general business degree (me)? Neither one of us has a great deal of experience in our fields, so we'll likely have to start at the bottom and move up.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 PM

138 posts, read 339,794 times
Not going to find a job in Pueblo in either of those fields easily and if you do you'll probably be making just above minimum wage. I would look elsewhere.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:12 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
I have to admit the job market in Pueblo is tough. That is why I constantly support new developments here but that does not help you now. My advise is come out for a visit and look for a job if you find one then move. I know there are some hiring going on in the industrial park and some in downtown. Hopefully as this recession ends the tech park that was put on hold will be started again then things should change. Until then I think it will be tough here but form what hear its like that everywhere.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
From what I've experienced, since it's the only large Front Range city I'd considered living in, trying to get a good job or a professional job there has always been tough for outsiders.

Nice city, good chili but not like Hatch or Chimayo though! wink-wink Josseppi...

Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I'd heartily recommend the nicer parts of Denver and it's metro area to anyone. I'd urge you to look at the service area of the Denver light rail system, find a nice area near one of the stops and give urban living a try. You're only young once. Give it a go, you might come to like it. Find a job and come on out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'd heartily recommend the nicer parts of Denver and it's metro area to anyone. I'd urge you to look at the service area of the Denver light rail system, find a nice area near one of the stops and give urban living a try. You're only young once. Give it a go, you might come to like it. Find a job and come on out.
With all due respect this comment makes no sense. "You only young once." Sure, Pueblo is smaller then Denver and unfortunately finding a good job be a challenge and that is why I am always supporting the new developments that are proposed for Pueblo. That being said living in smaller town does not mean having to cut back on your standard of living as Pueblo has a great downtown, restaurants, sporting events with CSU Pueblo being the flag ship school for southern Colorado, great events like the State Fair, Chili festival and the Wild Wild West Fest among others. On top of that we are not afraid to invest in our community to make it better for future generations, not all Colorado cities can say that. Plus we are close to great skiing yet have mild winters. That is why Pueblo is picked at one of the most livable cities in the United States and one of the best food cities.

Sure Pueblo will never be the size of the Denver MSA with its endless sprawl. However, it will be a nice size MSA of 250,000 to 500,000 people with a nice urban core with a Riverwalk, university, cultural activates, restaurants, great weather, and great fairs.

Last edited by Josseppie; 09-21-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 06:17 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,126 times
Pueblo also has a fabulous Workforce Center... they have really extensive job seeker services there.

Check them out here:
Pueblo Workforce Center

Old 09-21-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Pueblo also has a fabulous Workforce Center... they have really extensive job seeker services there.

Check them out here:
Pueblo Workforce Center
Is that unusual? I figured every major city had one why I never talk about it but maybe I should.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:49 PM

138 posts, read 339,794 times
I make $8 in Pueblo. I could easily be making $16 in Denver right now since I did have some job opportunities up there but I'm stuck down here. Fact is cost of living is cheaper in Pueblo but you can live better in Denver.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 PM

^

I fully admit Pueblo needs a tech park to help bring in more high paying jobs. Sadly Pueblo is about to get one but this recession has put it on hold. Once Pueblo gets one then the same kind of jobs that are found in the Denver MSA should be found here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado