U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 08:43 AM

19 posts, read 18,597 times

Advertisements

I ran the route change by my husband, who said if we're going back down past Santa Fe to get onto I-25, maybe we should spend a night or two in Taos. If we do that, I'm not sure if we need to still get there via 550 South until we catch I-25 to Santa Fe, or if we should just take 550 South until it hits NM 96 E and some other changes (this route). Will that route be twisty & scary?

Then how is the route from Taos on to Colorado Springs? To hit I 25 sooner, we'd need to go back to Santa Fe. The shorter route is to head north from Taos on NM 522 to CO 159 N to US 160 E until we then finally get to I 25 N (this route). I'm concerned this may be twisty and scary, too.

I'm assuming the route between Santa Fe to Taos is ok if we take the low road?

The new cities also throw a bit of a monkey wrench into hotel planning, as we're paying as much with rewards points as we can, and the ones in Taos and Colorado Springs will take a lot of points. But that's a different problem I'll have to research.

Last edited by Bootser; 06-10-2018 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 10:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,468,294 times
96 is mainly valley bottom. It might be curvy and go up & down small hills but I wouldn't worry about it. You will be driving below the mountains. 550 before that is the same. Desert bottom with some curves and small hills.

Santa Fe to Taos is valley floor driving. I'd fill up gas in Santa Fe and probably not stop between though. Kinda rough area. Maybe ok to stop at art galleries but I wouldn't stop at night.

Taos to Colorado Springs by the direct route is fine too. The North La Veta pass is very mild, barely noticeable. Mountains above but not dramatic downslopes. It is just a quick jog from one westside creekbed to another on eastside.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-10-2018 at 10:56 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 12:13 PM

13,699 posts, read 21,517,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootser View Post
Thank you for the help! If I went to Albuquerque to get on I-25, I would pass through Raton as I go to Colorado. I remember reading something about a scary pass there? I've been reading so much I can't remember exactly what I read about it. Are you familiar with that area?

I have been using Google maps on satellite view like crazy, but it's hard to get a true feel. Found a video of a drive from Anotonito to Chama, and it had sections that looked like they'd be rough for me.

If it would be a dramatic difference in terms of curves and high mountain passes, I would do the route to ABQ and then on to Colorado Springs. I've never been there, so we might just visit there instead of Denver (I'm only good for usually 7 hours drive at the most, but I could stretch past that to get to Colorado Springs and get a hotel), then drive on home via Kansas.
You could maybe go from Farmington to Chaco Canyon or Grants to Albuquerque to El Paso Texas to Stillwater Oklahoma to Wichita to Hays Kansas to Burlington Colorado and on into Denver, I guess.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:37 PM

19 posts, read 18,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
96 is mainly valley bottom. It might be curvy and go up & down small hills but I wouldn't worry about it. You will be driving below the mountains. 550 before that is the same. Desert bottom with some curves and small hills.

Santa Fe to Taos is valley floor driving. I'd fill up gas in Santa Fe and probably not stop between though. Kinda rough area. Maybe ok to stop at art galleries but I wouldn't stop at night.

Taos to Colorado Springs by the direct route is fine too. The North La Veta pass is very mild, barely noticeable. Mountains above but not dramatic downslopes. It is just a quick jog from one westside creekbed to another on eastside.
Thanks, that helps. Even found video of the North La Veta pass and it's not bad, and very pretty. Looks like from Farmington to Taos would not be scary, but I'll have to weigh how curvy throughout.

A bit of curvy roads here and there I can handle, but lots of places with curves on a trip of more than an hour and the end result is wishing for death. I just bought a new Reliefband that's supposed to help with motion sickness, but haven't tried it yet (gives little shocks on your wrist up your hand). The last time we took a little day trip that had a 20-minute curvy section, I was turning pretty green and couldn't have stood it for hours. Only after we started planning this trip did I realize I'd have to plan routes carefully in northern NM and Colorado. We had no trouble going through Kansas to Denver, but that's quite a different route! I didn't realize until this trip just how flat and level most of the trips we take are.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:34 AM

23,949 posts, read 17,609,324 times
my uncle used to hang out at the beginning of wolf creek and lizard head passes and charge 5 bucks to drive flatlanders over the passes back in the 60s. he did pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or