Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 12:51 AM

21 posts, read 29,410 times

Advertisements

We'll be driving from Missouri to Farmington, NM, (passing through Texas) to visit family this summer, and plan to drive up to Denver before heading home via Kansas. I hate heights and drop-offs, and get motion sickness pretty bad on twisty roads. What might be the least problematic for me, I think, is to take US 64 E to Walsenburg, Co, then 1-25 North to Denver (this is the route).

I'm still a bit worried, as the road before I get on I-25 looks plenty curvy, and I have no idea how it is regarding mountain passes and areas where you're feeling at the edge of a high cliff. How bad would this road be for me? Will I go over any scary mountain passes? Is there a route that would be less problematic for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 10:33 AM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Highway 17 has two 10,000 foot passes. Hwy 160 just before it joins I-25 has two 9,000 foot passes. You might be bothered by the area near the first two based on what you said. The latter two wouldn't worry as much for most. A main alternative may be to take 550 thru low country to Albuquerque to get on I-25. Will you be taking that to get to Farmington? Adds 140 miles to your Denver trip but you can drive faster and worry less.

Taking 64 all the way to I-25 would not be good idea as you'd be in low mountains a lot and the Cimarron fire may block.

Taking 64 further east and coming into Colorado by 285 would skip the mountain passes of Hwy 17. It does involve mountain driving. Might be almost as high as on 17 but not as exposed feeling if I recall correctly. Just driving thru high country trees.

Use google maps / street view and pre -drive sections and see what you can tolerate or want to avoid. I think you probably should take either the 550 or 285 alternative. 550 would be far less scary / distracting and thus probably best for you, imo.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-09-2018 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-09-2018, 11:06 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
That should be a nice relaxing and scenic drive until you get to Monument -

Then it will be stop and go for the next 18 miles on I-25.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Highway 17 has two 10,000 foot passes. Hwy 160 just before it joins I-25 has two 9,000 foot passes. You might be bothered by the area near the first two based on what you said. The latter two wouldn't worry as much for most. A main alternative may be to take 550 thru low country to Albuquerque to get on I-25. Will you be taking that to get to Farmington? Adds 140 miles to your Denver trip but you can drive faster and worry less.

Taking 64 all the way to I-25 would not be good idea as you'd be in low mountains a lot and the Cimarron fire may block.

Taking 64 further east and coming into Colorado by 285 would skip the mountain passes of Hwy 17. It does involve mountain driving. Might be almost as high as on 17 but not as exposed feeling if I recall correctly.

Use google maps / street view and pre -drive sections and see what you can tolerate or want to avoid.
Thank you for the help! If I went to Albuquerque to get on I-25, I would pass through Raton as I go to Colorado. I remember reading something about a scary pass there? I've been reading so much I can't remember exactly what I read about it. Are you familiar with that area?

I have been using Google maps on satellite view like crazy, but it's hard to get a true feel. Found a video of a drive from Anotonito to Chama, and it had sections that looked like they'd be rough for me.

If it would be a dramatic difference in terms of curves and high mountain passes, I would do the route to ABQ and then on to Colorado Springs. I've never been there, so we might just visit there instead of Denver (I'm only good for usually 7 hours drive at the most, but I could stretch past that to get to Colorado Springs and get a hotel), then drive on home via Kansas.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
That should be a nice relaxing and scenic drive until you get to Monument -

Then it will be stop and go for the next 18 miles on I-25.
So, Monument is between Colorado Springs and Denver, right? If we take the longer route through Albuquerque to miss some curvier, high roads, I was thinking we'd skip Denver and just visit Colorado Springs. Maybe (have to see how set my husband was on going to Denver! We've been before, but not to Colorado Springs). So if I don't go on to Denver, I'd miss whatever issues there are on the way to Monument. From Colorado Springs, we could get on I-70 East and head home.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:39 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Nothing scary about Raton Pass on I-25. It is Interstate highway designed to be not scary. Maybe the old highway US 87 was.
See StreetView of pass here : https://goo.gl/maps/VzrHTW8dwLw

Also this website may interest you. It shows elevation, and how flat or steep a given route is. Here is I-25 from town of Raton NM to Trinidad CO https://www.flattestroute.com/?from=...mentMode=miles

Old 06-09-2018, 12:21 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
I forgot about Raton pass but Interstate is the easiest, safest your going to get.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Nothing scary about Raton Pass on I-25. It is Interstate highway designed to be not scary. Maybe the old highway US 87 was.
See StreetView of pass here : https://goo.gl/maps/VzrHTW8dwLw

Also this website may interest you. It shows elevation, and how flat or steep a given route is. Here is I-25 from town of Raton NM to Trinidad CO https://www.flattestroute.com/?from=...mentMode=miles
Cool, thank you!

Old 06-09-2018, 07:56 PM

753 posts, read 843,236 times
I have an issue with heights and visited out there for the first time a few weeks back. So, I definitely understand where you're coming from. Thankfully, I was the passenger and could close my eyes in certain parts of our trek around southern CO and northern NM.

You're right about Raton. It was not great even as a passenger. But, as they also say. It's definitely an interstate and I didn't feel like we were ever "teetering on the side of a cliff" like I did on one tiny state HWY in NM.

There's a site that will let you put in a starting and ending location and it will take you through all of the Google Street View photos almost like a video of the drive. I find it helpful.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:14 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
I definitely have an issue with drop-offs, but Raton has never bothered me. My car struggled a bit with the uphill grade but I don’t feel it was worse than any part of I70 in CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado