U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 AM

12 posts, read 43,450 times

Advertisements

I've made a few visits to Gunnison, but have never actually stopped in Montrose. Can anyone share some information on the city from both a resident and vistor's point of view? In particular, I'm interested in :
Crime rates (bearing in mind the population is 4x that of Gunnison)
Visitor attractions (I noticed a botanical garden on Google Maps)
Organic/health/bulk food stores (I understand there is a Natural Grocer - any farmers markets?)
Grocery stores selling "ethnic" foods (British especially)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:17 AM

12 posts, read 43,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebedee View Post
I've made a few visits to Gunnison, but have never actually stopped in Montrose. Can anyone share some information on the city from both a resident and vistor's point of view? In particular, I'm interested in :
Crime rates (bearing in mind the population is 4x that of Gunnison)
Visitor attractions (I noticed a botanical garden on Google Maps)
Organic/health/bulk food stores (I understand there is a Natural Grocer - any farmers markets?)
Thanks!
Looks like I could have spend more time searching and less typing
Lets skip the first two questions (I think they've been answered a few times in this thread). While I wade through the other pages, anyone care to share some inside info on these long shots:

Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 AM

41 posts, read 115,134 times
How long is the commute to Rifle/Parachute? I work in Houston currently in the gas industry, as soon as my wife graduates nursing school we are moving to the western slope? We really like Montrose but I was afraid commute to long to Rifle/Parachute.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 AM

16,508 posts, read 20,909,506 times
You're looking at a little over two hours. One hour from Montrose to Grand Junction, then take the 141 bypass road that loops east and connects with I-70, then about another hour to Parachute. You don't want to push the speed limit as the law has really been writing the tickets lately.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:10 PM

41 posts, read 115,134 times
thanks for the response, 2 hrs is a long commute, to long for me, looks like I will be looking at Mesa, Colbran area

Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 9,883 times
Default Coloradomiss

Hmmm
Thanks for your "insights" regarding Montrose...very interesting...I live in Grand Junction and am contemplating a move to...maybe/maybe not now....Montrose, Cedaredge...or maybe Canon City...
or the little towns outside of Canon City - Penrose or Florence..
I appreciate your candid remarks..
Yes, GJ has a high unemployment rate..and it's getting trashy in a lot of ways..

Old 04-02-2014, 07:37 PM

178 posts, read 488,492 times
I don't know what your employment/income situation is but Canon City might be a slightly better choice than Montrose as a place to live. I have lived in both towns and currently live in Montrose for employment/financial reasons. Both towns are great places for outdoor activities and as places to live but I find the people of Canon City are a little more friendly and the outdoors/wilderness is more quickly accessed from Canon City than it is from Montrose. Montrose seems to be the wealthier of the two with a better library and more shopping but Canon is about 35 minutes from Pueblo and 45 minutes from the Springs while Montrose is a little over an hour from Grand Junction. Canon, overall has a milder climate than Montrose but the wind does blow more in Canon and occasionally in the winter it can get an arctic blast from Canada. House prices seem to be about the same in both towns and the cost of living is close to the same. Florence has a great downtown for a town of its size with a number of antique stores and a lot of out of town visitors. Penrose has a small store and a few small businesses/restaurants but it is more out in the open and gets hit by the weather and wind more than Canon or Florence. In my opinion you are better off living in either Canon or Pueblo West than Penrose. If you visit Canon be sure to take the River walk starting just south of the bridge on 9th street heading east towards Raynolds avenue. After you are done with that go back north on 9th street and make a left on Main Street and stop at Michaels for coffee and food near 5th street. Then leave your car parked in front of Michaels and walk north 1 block on 5th street to the library or explore the downtown area.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 30,625 times
I live in Canon City for a little over a year now. We have a charming older home fully functional and updated without loss of character. But, I will say that I am not very happy here in Canon for several reasons. The overall look of the town Seems tired and run down. You may find a great looking, affordable house here in Canon but there may also be a dump/junk yard a few doors down. The streets are neglected big time...your head hits the roof of your car when diving over 20 miles anywhere in town. I'm only 5'3" but the potholes and street conditions are awful. Entering the town from the East via Rte 50 is not a very attractive entry. I will say though,the mountain backdrop is beautiful...it's just too bad that your eyes may not be focused there due to what lies just ahead. On a positive note we've met some super nice people here and there is a casual/downhome attitude that prevails. Unfortunately those who are in authority to improve the city's appearance are sleeping at their jobs. Also, shopping is limited to walmart and a couple of other less popular stores. Traveling 35 minutes to Pueblo or 45 min. to CS is a bit much for me...But bottom line I would not be so concerned about the shopping thing if I could be proud of the appearance of where my home is located.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariakay View Post
I live in Canon City for a little over a year now. We have a charming older home fully functional and updated without loss of character. But, I will say that I am not very happy here in Canon for several reasons. The overall look of the town Seems tired and run down. You may find a great looking, affordable house here in Canon but there may also be a dump/junk yard a few doors down. The streets are neglected big time...your head hits the roof of your car when diving over 20 miles anywhere in town. I'm only 5'3" but the potholes and street conditions are awful. Entering the town from the East via Rte 50 is not a very attractive entry. I will say though,the mountain backdrop is beautiful...it's just too bad that your eyes may not be focused there due to what lies just ahead. On a positive note we've met some super nice people here and there is a casual/downhome attitude that prevails. Unfortunately those who are in authority to improve the city's appearance are sleeping at their jobs. Also, shopping is limited to walmart and a couple of other less popular stores. Traveling 35 minutes to Pueblo or 45 min. to CS is a bit much for me...But bottom line I would not be so concerned about the shopping thing if I could be proud of the appearance of where my home is located.
I know both towns quite well. Don't expect Montrose to be much different that Cañon City in nearly every category. Montrose went through a building boom of suburban-type "big box" stores a few years ago that, of course, pretty much ruined the downtown business district. Rumors are now rampant (and from what I've seen, and I have a lot of business experience, the rumors are pretty well justified) that several of those big box stores will likely close within a year.

The Montrose hospital has received several pretty negative rankings in the last few years, too. If you think that going to Colorado Springs or Pueblo is inconvenient, wait 'til you have to drive from Montrose to Grand Junction (or, often, Denver or Salt Lake City) for specialized medical treatment. Been there, done that.

If I had to choose between the two, I would pick Cañon City as the better place, overall.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:59 AM

10 posts, read 30,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I know both towns quite well. Don't expect Montrose to be much different that Cañon City in nearly every category. Montrose went through a building boom of suburban-type "big box" stores a few years ago that, of course, pretty much ruined the downtown business district. Rumors are now rampant (and from what I've seen, and I have a lot of business experience, the rumors are pretty well justified) that several of those big box stores will likely close within a year.

The Montrose hospital has received several pretty negative rankings in the last few years, too. If you think that going to Colorado Springs or Pueblo is inconvenient, wait 'til you have to drive from Montrose to Grand Junction (or, often, Denver or Salt Lake City) for specialized medical treatment. Been there, done that.

If I had to choose between the two, I would pick Cañon City as the better place, overall.
Thanks jazzlover...will definitely consider your opinion. Going to Montrose in a couple of weeks to get a better perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or