U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:30 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times

Advertisements

mariakay wrote: Thanks jazzlover...will definitely consider your opinion. Going to Montrose in a couple of weeks to get a better perspective.

To my way of thinking, it's a good thing that you recognize that you are reading someone's opinion and not something that is set in stone. One of the best things you can do is go to Montrose to get a feet on the ground perspective. You may find that your impression matches very closely with jazzlovers, or you may find that your tastes and perspective are radically different. Very intelligent not to make a decision based on something read in a forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 11:12 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,334,860 times
^^^

But, but, but... I never do ANYTHING without consulting CD forums first. It's better than the I Ching or a ouija board! I especially like the thoughtful posts in the Politics forum.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:33 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times
^^^Consulting the c-d forum makes sense to me too, but I take it with a grain of salt just as I would with the I Ching, ouija board, tarot cards, palm readers, astrology, etc. I think any one of these things can provide SOME insight, while simultaneously falling way short of presenting the whole picture. Basing a decision exclusively on any one of these things is sheer folly IMO.

The one exception would be the politics forum and the religion forum, where anything posted there would be totally reliable without question.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:11 PM

20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^^^

But, but, but... I never do ANYTHING without consulting CD forums first. It's better than the I Ching or a ouija board! I especially like the thoughtful posts in the Politics forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
^^^Consulting the c-d forum makes sense to me too, but I take it with a grain of salt just as I would with the I Ching, ouija board, tarot cards, palm readers, astrology, etc. I think any one of these things can provide SOME insight, while simultaneously falling way short of presenting the whole picture. Basing a decision exclusively on any one of these things is sheer folly IMO.

The one exception would be the politics forum and the religion forum, where anything posted there would be totally reliable without question.
If it weren't for C-D and craigslist, how would a feller ever know the truth or find a quality date with all her teeth?

Regarding the grain of salt, these days one needs a keg of rock salt by their pc for all the bluster and bs out there.

Anyway, back to Montrose, here's our page on the town. People need to visit to get a feeling for the town, or any other city or town. If anyone has a bunch of pictures of Montrose and its environs, they can start a Photo Tour thread or post them to the Montrose page.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-07-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 3,734 times
Hello, we're looking to move to Montrose possibly in the next few months (I promise we're not annoying...) and I don't know anything about which neighborhoods to look at for housing.

I'm mostly curious if there are especially good or bad places to be in terms of neighborhood quality (maybe it's great everywhere, who knows?). I don't need fancy -- I just want a quiet, safe place to live, and I want to feel comfortable when my wife rides her bike to work (I don't know where that will be, but probably somewhere in the middle of town) or comes home alone. Friendly neighbors would be nice.

Are there any areas that especially do or don't fit that description (one side or the other of Main Street or Townsend, I have no clue...)?

I see a number of houses that have sold recently for 80-100K with about 1000 square feet of space. That's more than enough room for us, and less expensive than many other places... so I'm wondering if those are perfectly good homes (again, we don't need fancy) or maybe they need a bit of work? I assume everything outside of town is a bit nicer with prices to match.

Thank you.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:11 PM

16,508 posts, read 20,909,506 times
The area I like would be south of Montrose High School on So. Townshend, say west of Starvin' Arvins Restaurant. Somewhat older neighborhoods but nice well kept homes which for the most part are three bedroom. Most likely 120K and up though (just guessing.)

Old 11-18-2014, 06:08 PM

79 posts, read 254,683 times
In October 2014 the median selling price in Montrose real estate was $169,000 for the 73 homes that sold. Many of the lowest end homes were foreclosures. Often times these homes have extensive damage and have been stripped of anything of value (appliances).

I think it's difficult to say what's 'nice' and what isn't. It's a little subjective, and I don't want to put anyone's neighborhood down. I think you need to come visit and see what works for you. There are homes downtown -- both north and south of Main Street (i.e. South 4th Street, North 3rd Street) that vary in price a lot depending on their condition. This might be a good area if you're bicycle commuters.

Living out of town doesn't mean more expensive. Most lots in city limits are less than one acre. You would need to go outside city limits (mostly) to get a larger piece of land. Do you want to be near the public golf course? new rec center? grocery store? hospital? New patio home? older mobile home? There are a lot of options and without much info it's hard to be more helpful.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 PM

Thank you, all good to know.

I assumed in-town would be less, but maybe I should expand my view. I'm hoping to get there for a few days maybe in the next week or two to look around (the only place I've spent any time there are the motels on Hwy 50).

We live in a very small space now (and we're more or less content), but I wouldn't complain about having more room. 1000 square feet is an upgrade for us, as is a yard for a tuff shed or similar (wouldn't mind having a garage...). 120K is affordable and we could possibly go higher but I don't want to push it too much -- so I assume that limits us to smaller homes, and possibly olde ones, which is fine.

Close to the rec center and grocery sounds nice, but golf and hospital are not important at this time. I don't need a new home but newer stuff is nice and probably needs less maintenance? I'm not against modular, but I'd probably prefer not to use a single-wide mobile home (nothing wrong with them, I just don't think I'd enjoy the layout).

I imagine a house along the lines of this (not necessarily the location, just the general idea and the price tag): modest size home -- could even do a 2 bedroom -- ideally in decent shape, surrounded (but not too close) by similar homes.

I think for starters we'll rent for a while and get a better feel for things.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:46 PM

OK, had a chance to check things out, and am wondering if you'd share a few more opinions. Lots of questions, feel free to ignore any or all... and thank you -- I really appreciate your views.

I spent the most time around the hospital and in the previously mentioned area behind Starvin Arvin's. My wife's job would be just east of the hospital. I had a quick walk around the area north of Main but didn't get a great feel for things.

Questions are:

1. The neighborhood behind Starvin Arvin's: I like that area (and could probably afford something over there if my place sells for anything close to what my agent says it will). Question is about access. Is there any difficulty getting in and out of there (across Townsend), maybe when town is busy? Don't know when that would be -- busy shopping days or Telluride traffic maybe...

2. Same neighborhood: any idea what's going to happen to the west of that where the train tracks are? Any plans or talk to develop that or would you expect it'll stay as-is for a while. Just don't want to move into a construction zone. I've lived through that enough...

3. The neighborhood North of Main St (between Townsend and let's say San Juan): is that just as good as the area South of Main there? Does it get any more airport noise being a bit closer, or is it pretty much the same all over town?

Thanks again.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:35 AM

79 posts, read 254,683 times
The area behind Starvin Arvin's is nice because I don't think it gets in through traffic. You can't cut through there to get anywhere. Yes, I think it would be hard to get across Townsend at 5pm when there is the most traffic. But not impossible. Is there a traffic light somewhere along there that would help? I don't think there is.

The railroad company owns the tracks and rumor has it that they have no interest in selling or giving easements to anyone. So for now, nothing is going to happen. The City has long term goals to expand and straighten out Rio Grande Rd and connect it to the southern portion down by JCPenny. But I think this will take a while. It's not in the immediate future like Ogden Rd, which is happening now, or Woodgate Rd which will happen in 2015/2016.

The neighborhood north of Main is more residential than the neighbor hood south of Main. I think south of Main is a little nicer, but that's just my perception. And of course there are exceptions - there are some nice homes and blocks north of Main. I don't know about airport noise; I've never noticed or thought about it.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or