U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,741 times

Advertisements

LRanzolin, I'm very sorry you had some bad experiances with montrose and I can see were your coming from, having lived in montrose for about 12 years now.
I'm 21 and currently going to school in grand junction, but I've lived in montrose long enough to see it change from a charming little town into a little city. The information eagleaye needs is this: monrose is a nice bigger town and getting bigger, plenty of work opportunity, and realy nice schools(I should know!), for the most part realy nice people, like and town it has it's flaws that LRanzolin was more than willing to point out. I am married with a 14 month old little boy and montrose will be our home for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 09:23 AM

31 posts, read 161,230 times
I lived in Montrose for a little over a year. It is a nice place in many ways but also has some drawbacks. The job market isn't great but if you will be transferring that wouldn't really be an issue for you. The locals are mostly nice and people will actually wave at you as you drive by them.

As far as the locals going slow to force you to make traffic violations, I've never heard such a thing. First of all, I don't care how slow someone is going I can't imagine why you'd pass on a double yellow. I have a lead foot that has got me tickets in other areas of Colorado (Denver and Grand Junction) but never in Montrose. As far as the population not being Christian enough, I totally disagree. The area is very church-going and to be honest many of the people were a little too zealot for me.

I found the "two people move out for every one that comes in" comment really funny considering the population in that area is increasing rapidly.

Personally I would not move to Olathe and it has nothing to do with the hispanic population. The Mexican population likely isn't any higher in Olathe than it is in Montrose. I simply don't like the overall feel to the town. I also don't really like the feel to Delta. Personally I'd look for something near Montrose or Ridgeway.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:53 PM

21 posts, read 100,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigirl View Post
I found the "two people move out for every one that comes in" comment really funny considering the population in that area is increasing rapidly.
That would be funny, if I had really said it (you reversed what I said).

OK, which of you ladies wants to take another shot at criticism... I'm ready for you!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:38 PM

7 posts, read 43,392 times
Question Montrose?

Hi There,
Can anyone give me some info on Montrose,Co. My Hubby & I just came back from visiting Grand Junction and surrounding area which was beautiful but didn't past Delta. We're looking into moving to a cooler climate that AZ.
Thanks
Taximom

Old 05-20-2007, 07:20 AM

129 posts, read 1,122,322 times
Hi Taximom,

A few suggestions:

1) Do a search on Montrose on this forum. There is a lot of information posted in earlier threads.

2) Tell us more about what topics you are interested in about Montrose. Jobs? Housing? Schools? Entertainment? Climate? Recreation? Clubs? Your question was so broad, it's hard to know where to begin to answer it.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 43,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winglady View Post
Hi Taximom,

A few suggestions:

1) Do a search on Montrose on this forum. There is a lot of information posted in earlier threads.

2) Tell us more about what topics you are interested in about Montrose. Jobs? Housing? Schools? Entertainment? Climate? Recreation? Clubs? Your question was so broad, it's hard to know where to begin to answer it.
Hi Winglady,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm very interested in Entertainment and the Climate year-round. What is the shopping like? Would I have to go to GJ to get my Mall fix? Walmart/Kmart doesn't always do it for me.LOL
Also how's the water? I know it's a strange ? but here where I live in AZ, we have to buy drinking water. Ground water has so much iron in it you don't want to drink it!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 AM

129 posts, read 1,122,322 times
Entertainment: We have a remarkable number and variety of performers come here -- although you're extremely unlikely to get a huge name band here. In recent months, the Montrose Arts Council and other organizations have brought performers from the Central City Opera, a world-renowned Flamenco guitarist & dancers, a percussion ensemble, Carlos Nakai (Native American flute), Tim O'Brian (Celtic / Irish), and the Denver Symphony Orchestra will be here next month. We have a local small playhouse, an auditorium with excellent acoustics, and plans are being made for a nightclub/dinner club type of facility.

Shopping: GJ has quite a bit more. We currently have WalMart (no KMart), but Target & Penneys will be opening by October. We have a new mall, but it mainly features restaurants, furniture, a party store, and the like -- no Big Box stores.

Water: Tastes fine to me, although there's a slight chlorine odor when I first turn on the tap. Less than I noticed when I lived in Littleton (suburb of Denver)

Montrose is growing rapidly --- in my opinion (and that of many others), far too rapidly. I'm actually wishing we would NOT get more Big Box stores and the like. I'd rather look at ancient Cottonwood trees growing by the river than huge parking lots and the same stores you can see in every city in America.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 AM

63 posts, read 309,761 times
Talking Growth...

You are correct Winglady,
I have been in Montrose for 25 years, when we only had a couple of street lights and a couple good places to eat.
Our growth is what many begged for at the time and the Time is now.

I love this place and the view of the San Jaun Mountains (Shinny Mountains) cannot be beat!

HM

Old 06-24-2007, 11:08 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
I agree with Winglady. Montrose is growing way too fast. I still have family in that area and the growth is disheartening. I actually was considering moving back to that area at some point, but it's no longer on my "top 10" list--and the rate of growth is the main reason why.

As for the water, most of the towns in the Uncompahgre Valley (Ridgway, Montrose, Olathe, Delta, etc.) get their water from "Project 7," which was built in the 1970's. Water is diverted from the Gunnison River just below Crystal Dam and is tranported to a large treatment plant east of Montrose. So, the water you get in most of the valley is the same, no matter which town you're in. It is treated river water, so they do chlorinate the heck out of it.

That whole area in western Colorado is suffering from escalating real estate prices and relatively stagnant local salaries. If you expect to make a living off of the local economy, it can be tough. That's part of the reason I left the area several years ago. The people paying big prices for fancy houses are almost always bringing their money with them.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,508 times
Wink decisions, decisions

We are planning on moving to Montrose. Can anyone tell me if the drop in temperature every day affects arthritis? How much snow does Montrose get, and how do the residents feel about newcomers? Will we fell welcome or not? I hear the south side of town is growing. Are there any new apartments there? Thanks for your help, hope to see ya soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or