U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 PM

16 posts, read 58,688 times

Advertisements

We live in Leadville and are looking into Montrose to relocate. What is the weather like there in the winter and summer compared to Leadville if you have been here? Are the schools great? Is there a movie theater? What is Monarch Pass like? Are the locals friendly? I just need a idea before we make the three hour drive there. Thanks for any input you may have if it is a great place to raise a family as Leadville is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:10 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
What made you think of it?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM

Just typing in different places in Colorado to relocate to and this town seems like it offers everything we are looking for except we have never been there.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Will you be requiring employment?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Husband can transfer there with his line of work. So employment won't be a issue for us.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:44 PM

5,704 posts, read 9,423,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandisboys View Post
We live in Leadville and are looking into Montrose to relocate. What is the weather like there in the winter and summer compared to Leadville if you have been here?
In winter it is warmer and less snow.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 PM

11,058 posts, read 12,406,241 times
Montrose is around 10,000 people. It has a super Walmart, super Target, City Market, Safeway, movie theaters, a theater theater, restaurants, and everyone I've met there is friendly. In my opinion it's a pretty town. I think winters are way milder than Leadville, and summers warmer. It's a little over 5,000 feet in elevation. Oh and there's a liquor store that delivers.

Montrose VCB, CO

Montrose, CO - Official Website

Montrose, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
Here's the deal on Montrose. It's a fairly nice town, but no utopia. It has a lot of new commercial development and big boxes, and most of them are really struggling financially. They overbuilt--massively. Same goes with housing. The real estate market there is massively overbuilt--especially in higher end homes. Hwy. 550 going south out of town toward Ridgway might as well be Havana St. in Aurora. Same big-box sprawl crap. Too bad that Montrose has tried to emulate suburbia--not surprising since that is where most of the transplants and developers there came from.

The schools are fairly good, but not superior. I don't have kids, but I do know a number of the teachers and administrators in the district. Like just about everyplace else, the Montrose area has some crime, drug, and gang issues--there are a fair number of immigrants that have moved into the area--many of them illegals. Olathe, a small town 10 miles north of Montrose, has been cited nationally as a place under "considerable" influence by the Mexican drug cartels.

The climate in Montrose could not be more different than Leadville. Warmer year-round in Montrose, with relatively little snow. It is somewhat colder, windier, and a little wetter than places north of Montrose--Olathe, Delta, and Grand Junction. Temperatures in the 90's are fairly common in the summer. August is the wettest month, but the area still is a desert, with relatively low precipitation in any season.

It's a good thing you have a job available in Montrose. The economy there is getting very rough--it was overdependent on construction and real estate development, and that party is over, probably for a long, long time. Like most of western Colorado, the biggest employer in Montrose is government.

I would take with a great big grain of salt the posts made by people who have lived in the area for only a few months. My familiarity with the area goes back four decades, including several decades as a western Colorado resident. I know the territory. (By the way, I've been familiar with Leadville that long, too.) I would also be wary of posters who gush about any area in Colorado when they are people who do not have to rely on the local economy for an income. Their swarmy perspective is not a very realistic assessment for use by someone who actually has to try to make a living in the area. Be equally skeptical of the "Chamber of Commerce"-type posters who usually are people with something to gain by "pimping" the area--real estate agents being a great example. If I see that description in a poster's profile, I automatically disregard most of what they say--they're trying to sell something.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 AM

16,508 posts, read 20,909,506 times
Jazzlover is right. Back when I had good health , I always envisioned living in Montrose, and that goes back to the early 70's. Even up to the late 80's, a person could buy a nice 3 bedroom ranch home and not be buried in debt. One of the areas I've always liked is just west of Starvin' Arvin's restaurant. Decent neighborhood, attractive 2 and 3 bedroom homes.

That all changed in the early 90's. Here comes Penney's, Office Depot, and Target. The times I've been in those stores I question how they make money.

I'll have to look up Leadville's elevation. I DO know it's the highest incorporated town in the States. I'm guessing the elevation is 10,500 ft. or so. Montrose elevation is a little over 5800 ft. Big difference.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 AM

11,058 posts, read 12,406,241 times
I would take with a great big grain of salt the posts made by people who have lived in the area for only a few months.

I keep forgetting I am new to the area and don't have roots dating back to the dinosaurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or