U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM

268 posts, read 390,738 times

Advertisements

Ehhh, it's a nice town. Bigger than even most residents think it is (which could be a good thing, it feels smaller than it is).

A few downsides, from my perspective, are: Illegals. More and more you see illegals making their way into smaller and smaller towns to avoid immigration patrol. Montrose is no exception. Also, I know you said your husband can just transfer with his line of work. Would you mind telling us what line that is? Montrose industry is non-existent and I have a hard time seeing anybody transfer there. My wife works as a teller at one of the local banks and has been searching for a different job for over a year. Now, they're wanting to transfer her to Avon. You see, people are getting transferred out of town, not in. I work in the oil field and simply commute to Rifle/Parachute. Like Jazzlover said - The area was over-built and now expansion won't be necessary (especially in this economy) for years.

Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 PM

16 posts, read 58,688 times
Thanks for all the info, my husband works for USPS so he is able to transfer if and when a postion opens up.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:16 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,519,086 times
Well there you go Brandisboys!! Transfer wherever you and he wants to go!! Adjust your cost of living and, just go where you will be most happy!
I would assume that there are a lot of people that live there and, make less than your DH and do just fine!
Just think, you only have to go a few miles to the south and, you are in OURAY!!!! One of my favorite spots in Colorado!!!
You also have a very awesome City Market in Montrose ( I was very surprised when I went there!!) It is affiliated with King Soopers/Kroger.
I also agree with a previous poster who said it is a lot bigger than one thinks! It does have a ton more than I thought it did!! I assumed it was a teeny tiny itty bitty town. Not so.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 PM

16,508 posts, read 20,909,506 times
If you make the trip and decide to stay overnight there are an abundance of mom and pop motels on east hwy. 50. Starvin' Arvin's and Sun Valley truck stop are ok places to eat for breakfast and lunch.

Some development in the last several years that I DO like is the Montrose Pavilion, I've been to several concerts there. It's a nice venue. They get some name acts that might surprise you, in fact the Smothers Brothers are scheduled there tonight, I believe. I've seen other acts such as Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, the bluegrass group Hot Rize, and other music groups.

SheridanL is right about City Market, it's a little south of downtown. City Market's cover the western slope from Cortez and Durango all the up. The Montrose store IS a good one.

Monarch Pass is not a bad climb as mountain passes go. It cuts a wide path at the top, elevation is a little over 11,000 ft. Plenty of room to pull over to get out and stretch your legs, take pictures. Keep in mind it's a two laner, but at this time of the year C-DOT guys do a good job on the roads. You don't have a lot of traffic on it, and they have work yards in Salida and Gunnison so the drivers keep the road in good shape.

Regarding your question of the movie theater, yes, it is downtown. An oldie but goodie. The first run shows go for shorter lengths of time as there is just the one. Consequently a lot of people go to Grand Junction as the Regal 14 is fairly new.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-03-2010 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-03-2010, 10:58 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,424,116 times
I know Montrose and Leadville pretty well. They are worlds apart in terms of weather and environment. If you are looking to stay in Colorado, in a relatively "small" town, but one with some amenities (and Montrose has pretty much everything you will need), and milder weather than Leadville, then I imagine you will enjoy Montrose.

I lived in Fairplay, just over the Mosquitoes from Leadville for about 5 years before I moved to Grand Junction. I would of much rather moved to Montrose, which I think would have been an easier transition. While I never lived in Montrose (and some might baulk at me for replying), I have many friends who do, and I also spent quite a bit of time in the area as I worked for the big National Forest that encompasses the town. Montrose winters are extremely mild compared to Leadville, but you can and will get some snow, cold temp days, etc. Summers will seems extremely long compared with the high country and you will be able to grow a vegetable garden if you so choose. Another nice thing about Montrose is that you will actually experience spring and fall, which is so short in the Leadville area that you often don't really consider it.

I would suggest you make a trip over there and spend a few days. If you enjoy camping you can find some nice camping areas just south of Montrose near Ridgway. Of course, I would wait until summer to do that! Ridgway State Park is about 20 minutes from Montrose and would be cheap for lodging.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
As someone who has only visited the area many times over the past 22 years... I think Montrose would be a terrific change for everyone, especially family, from Leadville. A friend of mine, elderly lady, retired there from Ridgway and is very happy there. Yes, there's been a lot of overbuilding/foreclosures. If you don't want a 4,000 sq.ft. megahouse standing alone among unfinished curbs and foundations, you can get a very nice house for a decent price.
There's a nice farmer's market in the season- I think on 550 south. The town has been trying hard to fix up the downtown, and it is far from failing, although you have to have customers to do business, and that's a problem. It is not depressing/dreary.
The hospital is quite good, and added a cancer center in the past few years. My elder friend had to be driven to Grand Junction for treatment before the cancer center was built. Now she can stay right in town if she needs care. Oh, and the Black Canyon (the local attraction) is pretty spectacular!
Overall, I think it's a far cry better for daily living/family over Leadville. I would do it. (In fact, I've considered it for my own retirement).
Best wishes.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 AM

22 posts, read 74,330 times
I live in Montrose. I was raised in Las Vegas and have lived in Utah, Argentina and most recently Northern and Southern Oregon.

Let me get some facts straight:

The population in Montrose is at least 17K and approaching more like 20K.

There are 2 movie theaters here.

Crime is no worse then any small town.

Home prices are still way out of line with incomes and especially the big (well big for out here ) homes are free falling.

I am a dentist which allows me to interact with many people on a daily basis from the area. Montrose is hurting right now and I fear that it will get worse before it gets better. Commercial RE is dead. Residential RE is dead. Many people have lost their jobs and are barely hanging on. I follow the county foreclosures and the numbers go up every month.

If you are used to big city conveniences there will be an adjustment period. I know many on here abhor the big box stores here in town but my wife hates that we truly have no shopping and I wish there were some decent eateries. That is what you get for living in Vegas for so long and being spoiled with high end shopping and restaurants.

I love Montrose though. The area is beautiful. We live out on Spring Creek Mesa. As we follow the RE trends, we will eventually try and buy a distressed property on acreage. I believe that the schools are OK. Much better then Vegas schools (which is not hard to do)

People are friendly but more reserved and rough around the edges then I expected when we first moved here.

Good luck in all your decisions.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 AM

5,704 posts, read 9,423,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2dental View Post
Let me get some facts straight:
Excellent, well written, accurate post.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times
jim9251 wrote:
I keep forgetting I am new to the area and don't have roots dating back to the dinosaurs.
Don't worry Jim, jazzlover will keep reminding you when he's not busy feeding the dinosaurs in his back yard.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:16 AM

24 posts, read 62,769 times
Default Moving to Montrose within the month...what are the best areas, best elementary schools etc?

Hello, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are relocating to the Montrose area within the next month and haven't been there since 2002 so I don't remember much. We can afford a home up to $400,000 and we are looking for beautiful pastoral/mountain view land with home up to 2 acres or so, possible horse property within 30 miles of Montrose or closer. Looking to possibly start small organic flower farm in the next year as my husband can commute to the city of Montrose for his work. But most importantly, we have a 4 and 6 year old who will be attending pre-k and 1st grade...what truly is the best elementary schools in and around Montrose as we suspect we will be there for 3-5 years or so. Saw that Ridgway is rated 9, Telluride is a 10 on greatschools.org, what other schools are excellent in the area. Not really looking to live in the city of Montrose or at least I don't think so. Would like a little breathing room but in a good area for young children. Thanks, any and all feedback would truly be helpful at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or