U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:20 PM

48 posts, read 170,394 times

Advertisements

What can anyone tell me about Montross, Co and the surrounding area?
Are there jobs, growth, and things to do? How expensive are homes compared to Co Springs, Pueblo and other Front Range cities? Is it a more attractive city to live in compared to West Slope Grand Junction or Durango?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 21 days ago)

10,885 posts, read 29,317,265 times
I am pretty sure poster wants info on Montrose.

Montrose Colorado Online Skiing near Montrose Montrose Colorado Online is your complete source for Lodging, Activities, Real Estate, and Information regarding Montrose Colorado. ... www.montrose-colo.com

or

Montrose Visitors and Convention Bureau Home Page Montrose Colorado tourist information. Links to lodging, dining, calendar of events, area attractions, local interests, map, helpful phone numbers, ...
www.visitmontrose.net/

Old 12-13-2006, 01:20 AM

643 posts, read 2,227,832 times
Montrose was very affordable from what I saw when I was researching it ... and very beautiful and more diverse racially then other areas. I found it an up and coming place where the buying time is now. I did pull something up online about it and somehow I found this article, I guess Montrose was the place they picketed that poor mans funeral. They had pictures of people accross from the cemetary and by the high school with signs saying Gods hates ****. That poor family could you imagine trying to bury your son and having that? I didnt realize it was Montrose but I had heard of this on the news and on Glen Beck. So something to think about as far as no one stopping these people as to what the general attitude is there.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:17 AM

Those people who picket the funeral in Montrose do it everywhere. They picked a funeral in the Tulsa area. It is not a reflection of the local people. They come from some crazy cult in Kansas.

Thanks for the info on Montrose. I have driven through it one time on the way to Black Canyon of the Gunnison. I liked the small town feel of it but at that time we didn't have time to 'research' it.
How does it compare to Grand Junction?

Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 AM

129 posts, read 1,122,322 times
We've lived in Montrose for about a year, and it suits us extremely well. It is quite a bit smaller than Grand Junction, and is at a slightly higher elevation, so it tends to get a little more snow (but far less than Denver), and less extreme temps in summer.

GJ seems quite congested to me, but then again, Montrose is growing rapidly and may become just as congested in time. I enjoy Montrose's small-town feel, and being able to drive to anywhere in town within about 5-7 minutes. We don't have lots of the stores that GJ has, but we have enough of the Big Box stores to suit my taste (WalMart, Home Depot, Office Depot, and coming soon -- unfortunately, due to growth concerns -- Target and Penneys). So, once a month or so we make the 1 hour trip to the "city" (GJ) and stock up at Sams Club, REI, and/or the department stores.

Then again, now that I'm thinking about our concern about growth, I should tell you that Montrose is terrible and no one reading this should consider moving here!

Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 AM

How long would it take to drive to Co. Springs or Denver (our son lives in the Springs)? Is there job growth there? I'm a credit mgr wt General mgmt and operations experience. I also teach part time as an adjunct at a local college.
What is the population of GJ and Montrose?
Lots of questions!! I just had a good feeling about the town the one time we were there.
Thanks again.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:24 PM

643 posts, read 2,227,832 times
They actually did it in Tulsa too??? You have got to be kidding me! Oh well I guess its all over the place like you said. Sad. GJ online says:
Total population: 42225 (Urban population: 41164, Rural population: 1061)
Montrose: Population in July 2005: 15,479 (+25.4% change since 2000)
A big differance but growing repidly with the building at the same pace.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:35 AM

129 posts, read 1,122,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa Guy View Post
How long would it take to drive to Co. Springs or Denver (our son lives in the Springs)? Is there job growth there? I'm a credit mgr wt General mgmt and operations experience. I also teach part time as an adjunct at a local college.
It takes us about 4.5 - 5 hours (depending on stops for food, gas, etc) to drive from Montrose to Denver using either the northern or southern routes. The Springs should be a bit less (you'd drive the southern route for that).

I'm not sure about the job situation overall, although I'm assuming GJ would have more job opportunities than Montrose simply because it's a lot larger. Mesa State College campus is in GJ, but there is a smaller satellite to it in Montrose as well.
http://www.mesastate.edu/ (broken link)

There is also a Voc-Tec school between Delta & Montrose (closer to Delta than Montrose, but that's still only about 20 - 25 minutes from Montrose).
http://www.dmavtc.tec.co.us/ (broken link)

Old 12-15-2006, 09:16 PM

99 posts, read 459,327 times
Default Tulsa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa Guy View Post
What can anyone tell me about Montross, Co and the surrounding area?
Are there jobs, growth, and things to do? How expensive are homes compared to Co Springs, Pueblo and other Front Range cities? Is it a more attractive city to live in compared to West Slope Grand Junction or Durango?
Thanks
I was wondering why you want to move from Tulsa nd how long have you lived in Tulsa We live in Ca. and were thinking of retire there .Anything you can tell me about Tulsa would be great

Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 AM

21 posts, read 100,425 times
Smile Montrose- Great Place to Visit But No Place to Live

My wife and I moved from the Washington, DC area to Western Colorado. The San Juan mountains hypnotized us... they are stunningly beautiful! We wanted to move to Montrose but wound up buying a home in Delta which is about 30 minutes north (less expensive area). However we both got jobs in Montrose. After 15 months, we left. Here is what we learned about the region (Delta down to Ouray):

1 It's a tough place to make a living. Many (yes, many) people work two or more jobs and pay is terrible. Jobs are hard to find. Alot of people feel trapped because they can't afford to leave.

2 We found out that for every two that arrive one leaves. Real Estate Agents know this and are aware they might pick the listing back up in a few months.

3. They don't like newcomers, especially Californians and to a lesser degree Texans (the place is loaded with Texans). For the newcomer to make friends with a native... "foget about it"! If you do move here you will notice after a while that all your friends are newcomers like yourself.

4. Alot of drug usage and higher than normal suicide rate. As one woman once told me- "this is the most un-Christian place I have ever lived".

5. They are traffic Nazi's. I have never seen an area so obsessed with traffic violations. What am I talking about? Drive over the speed limit, or pass on the double yellow line, or run a red light and you will find out real quick (they have cell phones and they do use them).

6. They are chronic liars. I have never lived in a region where people lie so much (it's an epidemic here). Also, the stores owned by locals often have price discrepencies between what's labeled on the package and what's charged at the checkout counter- always in favor of the store (the only place we didn't have any trouble was in WalMart).

The number one lesson we learned, like many who move here, is that the reality of living in Western Colorado is quite different than the dream. My parents who are retired fell in love with it and now spend their summers there. Nothing wrong with that! As I'm now fond of saying... "it's a great place to visit but no place to live!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or