U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:53 PM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Polis seems to be the front runner for the Dems and Stapleton is a shoe-in for the Reps. I would rather see Johnston or Kennedy honestly, but Stapleton did already beat Kennedy in a statewide race a few years ago. Iím very unimpressed with him as treasurer and heís running as pro Trump in a state that didnít go for Trump. Seems risky.
This also came up in my discussion with my friend. While I think there can sometimes be merit in this type of argument, I'd say that in this case, Stapleton has done enough to his own reputation at this point that I don't think Kennedy is necessarily more vulnerable against him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
So far, so good. Keep it Colorado.

IIRC from earlier discussions when eastern rural counties wanted to secede from the state it was pointed out that rural counties get more back from the state tax man than they put in. So long as tax dollars come back to rural counties at 100% or more of their pay-in then I don't see a much basis to feel slighted. There will always be differences (like 2-lane roads in rural areas versus 6-lane roads in Denver metro) but there's only so much state money to go around, especially with TABOR limitations.

I urge people to not let media blowhards play divide and conquer games with us; we all mostly want the same things.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:10 AM

6,526 posts, read 5,834,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's funny, I was discussing the primary with a friend today and I made the point that perhaps Polis is more electable because he's not from Denver, and a lot of people have antipathy towards Denver. I mean, yes, he's from Boulder, but it's not Denver.

Thank you for proving my point was on target.

and no, it's not that the Western Slope doesn't count, it's that mathematics counts more. And it's simple math that fewer people get fewer votes. Sorry if you think your vote should get to count more than mine, but fortunately that only applies to the Electoral College. When it comes to state elections, our votes remain equal. (hopefully that didn't cross Mike's line since it's a general comment about how elections work)
If there’s anything rural Coloradan seem to detest more than Denver, it’s Boulder. I’ve met Kennedy a few times and I think she’s great. She did a fantastic job as treasurer. She would make a very competent governor. Unfortunately I don’t think she’s the best campaigner.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:29 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,618,882 times
Skydog - What do you think about Polis' ad with the teachers refuting her claims about him?

Old 06-12-2018, 07:19 AM

6,526 posts, read 5,834,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Skydog - What do you think about Polis' ad with the teachers refuting her claims about him?
I havenít seen either ad. Sounds like The pro Kennedy ad it was refuting was funded by teacher unions.

PACs backing Polis jump into the TV air war in CO’s race for governor as campaigns complain about negativity | The Colorado Independent

Old 06-12-2018, 08:07 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Quote:
I take every ad with a grain of salt. Instead, I just try to look at where they stand on issues, what their track records are, etc. Both Polis and Kennedy have some great endorsements but Kennedy clearly won the education endorsements over Polis - so she may be more in tune with where educators stand on the relevant issues over all. But any person, educator or not, has a brain to think for him/herself and an endorsement does not mean that every single member would make the same choice.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:09 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
So far, so good. Keep it Colorado

I urge people to not let media blowhards play divide and conquer games with us; we all mostly want the same things.

I personally appreciate a reasoned discussion. I moved to the Western Slope in April after vacationing here many times over 30 years and am interested in the issues, both of the state and those more local. Thank you for the moderation.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:31 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I havenít seen either ad. Sounds like The pro Kennedy ad it was refuting was funded by teacher unions.

PACs backing Polis jump into the TV air war in COís race for governor as campaigns complain about negativity | The Colorado Independent
Personally, I'm pretty annoyed by Polis over this.

Here are some more details

Truth Check: Polis on the attack against Kennedy following PAC ads | FOX31 Denver

While I think Kennedy could have disavowed the initial ad - said something about being factually accurate but presented in a negative manner that went against the spirit of the pledge blah blah blah, it still was not an ad she ran, which is what Polis is claiming.

And now he's used it as an excuse to go negative - and by that I mean his own campaign, not just a PAC supporting him.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
Are people relying on campaign ads in lieu of information?

What would you suggest for actual information, a site, a news source, something besides ads?

Old 06-12-2018, 09:53 AM

865 posts, read 422,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Are people relying on campaign ads in lieu of information?

What would you suggest for actual information, a site, a news source, something besides ads?
I usually start by looking at their platform on their website and then I look at their experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or