U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:58 AM

872 posts, read 426,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I take every ad with a grain of salt. Instead, I just try to look at where they stand on issues, what their track records are, etc. Both Polis and Kennedy have some great endorsements but Kennedy clearly won the education endorsements over Polis - so she may be more in tune with where educators stand on the relevant issues over all. But any person, educator or not, has a brain to think for him/herself and an endorsement does not mean that every single member would make the same choice.
Polis isn't bad from an educator perspective but Kennedy is stronger. Kennedy seems to be much more focused on teacher pay, fixing teacher shortages, and funding... Polis has been associated with the charter movement in the past and seems to focus on full day kindergarten and free Pre-K when talking about education. Kennedy is focused on education from a teacher perspective by fixing institutional problems while Polis is primarily trying to appeal to parents of young children and doesn't seem to have a grasp on the types of local education issues that interest educators.

I'm going to vote Kennedy in the primary to send a signal to the party but I fully expect I will be casting my ballot for Polis in the general. He is a much more talented camaigner and has to the bigger war chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 11:11 AM

19,067 posts, read 10,093,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Are people relying on campaign ads in lieu of information?

What would you suggest for actual information, a site, a news source, something besides ads?
I'm not relying on ads as a source of information about the history and policies of the candidates, but given what has transpired, I do feel like they have been a source of information about the candidates' characters. To me, it's a slight negative mark against Kennedy but a bigger one against Polis. I'm not saying I won't vote for him in November if he's the Democratic nominee, but I'm leaning against him in the primary now, where I was pretty evenly split before.

Personally, I have ruled out Johnston and Lynne, just based on electability concerns so that's cut the amount of research down a bit.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 AM

302 posts, read 240,882 times
I haven't followed the ads much. I have gone to websites and looked. I really like Mike Johnston, but I have a couple of concerns and sent an email. As of yet, I haven't received a response. If that's any kind of indication, he won't stand a chance. I know we could get him quite a following. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards Polis. Kennedy seems too bought for me.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:29 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,695,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Are people relying on campaign ads in lieu of information?

What would you suggest for actual information, a site, a news source, something besides ads?
Most candidates have websites for their campaign in which they give their stances on issues, etc. That's a good place to start, to see how their stated issue positions align with your own priorities. I do look at who endorsed them, who is financing their campaign, etc. Then, I start looking to news sources that did some kind of analysis or endorsement process of candidates etc., like those others have linked elsewhere in this thread.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:02 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,041,895 times
For Governor, I've been torn between Polis and Kennedy. They seem rather evenly matched, for the most part. I did act as district delegate for one, and sent in my mail-in ballot the other day, so my choice is set, but if the other makes it to the ballot, I won't be unhappy about it.

I looked at Johnston, but I didn't think he had much chance.

I didn't even bother with Lynn.

I'm very much hoping Jason Crow can push Mike Coffman out of his seat. He (Crow) actually called me when I did the delegating thing to talk to me, which I thought was good, so I got the chance to speak with him about some of the issues that I was concerned about (I have many, but I had focused on veterans' care primarily in my conversation with him.)

I watch little TV nowadays, so the ads aren't impacting me as much, which is a relief after the 2016 elections. I go on the websites and look for the candidates' pages, and political analysis sites that cover these, when I can find them.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:36 PM

13,142 posts, read 18,764,721 times
Dog invented the mute button so I don't have to listen to any commercials.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 PM

85,031 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Kennedy and Johnston seemed very focused on education. I know that's a big part of the Colorado budget, but I'd also like to hear what they think about health care, transportation, etc.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:27 PM

2,442 posts, read 3,271,560 times
I thought Kennedy was the least dangerous to Tabor. But it was a quick perusal of the candidates and not an in-depth study. I think Tabor is the only thing keeping our taxes in line. I also want someone pro environment and anti fracking and she seemed to match there also.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:39 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,695,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Kennedy and Johnston seemed very focused on education. I know that's a big part of the Colorado budget, but I'd also like to hear what they think about health care, transportation, etc.
Go to their websites. Tons of stuff there.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:08 PM

6,579 posts, read 5,869,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I thought Kennedy was the least dangerous to Tabor. But it was a quick perusal of the candidates and not an in-depth study. I think Tabor is the only thing keeping our taxes in line. I also want someone pro environment and anti fracking and she seemed to match there also.
Tough spot. No Dems like TABOR and are all actively against it. No Republican is pro environment or anti fracking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or