Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:17 PM

19,792 posts, read 9,323,974 times

Advertisements

I didn't see a thread for this, so sorry if one already exists, but I would like to know others' opinions about statewide candidates and issues.

It seems to me that all the candidates for governor are either too liberal or too conservative for my liking, so I would especially like to know which candidate you think is the most moderate and why.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 04:30 PM

7,177 posts, read 9,304,358 times
Here are the Indy picks:

https://www.csindy.com/coloradosprin...t?oid=12663612

Old 06-11-2018, 05:38 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,859,249 times
I'll just be happy when those stupid commercials for governor are over. Anyway, it doesn't matter, the Denver liberals will elect the guy, the western slope doesn't count.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:39 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,295,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Here are the Indy picks:
So the "Indy" dissociated all the republicans right off the bat and decided among the democrats. So much for being "indy."

Old 06-11-2018, 06:57 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,688,044 times
Wrong place for this type of thread.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:00 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,544,962 times
I like Colorado Pols Big Line. The editorials on the site are left leaning, but I find them to be pretty honest about their assessment of the races.

The Big Line: 2018 - Colorado Pols

I think it’s going to be a rough year for the Republicans because of the president. This state didn’t vote for him to begin with and I expect people will be even more fired up to send a message.

Mike Coffman always seems to squeak out a victory despite seemingly doing everything he possibly can to lose. We’ll see if his luck holds this year.

Polis seems to be the front runner for the Dems and Stapleton is a shoe-in for the Reps. I would rather see Johnston or Kennedy honestly, but Stapleton did already beat Kennedy in a statewide race a few years ago. I’m very unimpressed with him as treasurer and he’s running as pro Trump in a state that didn’t go for Trump. Seems risky.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:08 PM

26,204 posts, read 49,007,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Wrong place for this type of thread.
If we stay on topic, i.e., keep it about just Colorado, then I'll leave it here. If it gets national in scope then it will go to the Election forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,786,213 times
1. I think allowing non-members to vote in a party primary is asinine. If you want to play, join the party. Party membership is literally a few mouse clicks away.

2. I struggled to choose which ballot to exercise.
a. For me, vote Dimocrat and pick the best.
b. For me, vote GOPer and pick the one that the Dimocrat could most easily beat.

3. Strawberry is always a good choice.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:44 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,872,486 times
I'm completely meh about all the major party gubernatorial candidates. There isn't a moderate in the bunch, and the front-runners are all trying to outrace each other to the lunatic fringe. If it's Polis or Kennedy vs. Stapleton or Mitchell I'm a hard no all around. I'll go third-party or write myself in before I vote for one of those clowns.

Polis wants to spend an absurd amount of money (that we don't have) on handouts.

Kennedy is openly using Trump as a wedge issue to get votes. Pro-Trump or against him that's a turn off for me. She also made a point of highlighting how she's "pro-progressive values." We're a purple state. Be willing to compromise or get bent.

Mitchell is an anti-establishment numbskull. He hates CDOT and wants to privatize state programs across the board. He also wants to penalize anybody who chooses a non-STEM degree path by diverting ALL state higher-end funding to STEM degrees. Plus who the hell is his dentist? His veneers are so obnoxious they remind me of Matt Dillon in "There's Something About Mary."

Stapleton is an arrogant jackwad who thinks really highly of himself. He's singlehandedly trying to take credit for the defeat of Amendments 66 & 69. He's also running a campaign ad claiming to be the only state treasurer who supported Trump's tax cuts. That's a blatant lie that he's been called out on by the media, but he refuses to change the ad or stop airing it.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:50 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,184,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I'll just be happy when those stupid commercials for governor are over. Anyway, it doesn't matter, the Denver liberals will elect the guy, the western slope doesn't count.
It's funny, I was discussing the primary with a friend today and I made the point that perhaps Polis is more electable because he's not from Denver, and a lot of people have antipathy towards Denver. I mean, yes, he's from Boulder, but it's not Denver.

Thank you for proving my point was on target.

and no, it's not that the Western Slope doesn't count, it's that mathematics counts more. And it's simple math that fewer people get fewer votes. Sorry if you think your vote should get to count more than mine, but fortunately that only applies to the Electoral College. When it comes to state elections, our votes remain equal. (hopefully that didn't cross Mike's line since it's a general comment about how elections work)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado