U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 AM

42 posts, read 24,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
So this ad says that it is right next to the owner’s house so you can use the bathroom there.

Where would your guests poop? ‘Bucket and shovel provided’?
composting toilet
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 09:22 AM

42 posts, read 24,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Keep it mobile (on wheels and licensed and able to MOVE (as often as the county requires) Buy 2 lots and move 2 buses back and forth (as legal)...

You will need 'certified' septic (I have my own Septic installer's license, saves ~$6-$10k per parcel)
You will need 'verified' water (I do many 'Small community water sources' on my adjacent properties, I often buy a place JUST because it has a strong well... then I buy neighboring places and set up 'Shop'.

Best bet... Build a Barndominium (as allowed based on county)
even a RV shop with living qtrs...

BUT all the above searches show far more elaborate ($100k+++) than what I do...for under $60k
40 x 60 pole barn with 14' eaves for RV (each side)+ septic and apartment / Laundry and Showers and a kitchen in the pole barn.

I do these on pristine view lots, so I can eventually sell the land to someone who wants to build their dream house. (Better them than me... BTDT too many times!)

I have my own formula for finding / building / renting. (and it works VERY well! and finds me very good deals). I never bother buying something that is listed For Sale, I find my props BEFORE the sign goes up!

Shop with Apt, Works nice for me, as I have multiple living locations in USA and soon international (I stay for free) (and 2 + living qtrs in each location. I am never in one place long enough to raise concern for zoning.) and I would NEVER consider land in an HOA. My tenants watch the place, keep them maintained, do repairs, provide $1000 income, and are paying my (small) mortgage, ALL my property taxes and all my utilities.

I prefer to rent the main home FT and visit (cabin / shop / RV) myself whenever the weather is nice! I keep A cheap CAR at each location and fly between (Been In each... CO, WA, and TX in the last 6 days, back to CO for the weekend) Spring means LOTS of work on rural properties. My (3) personal places in USA all add up to be LESS than one place for most people (and conventional 'thinkers / owners' are not getting $3k+ / month INCOME from their ONE place). USA federal tax law allows $500k FREE capital gains every 24 months(MFJ) , so that is another option I have exercised as often as it makes sense. One friend did it (9) times before he retired (pre age 50). He just bought one 50 acre parcel and built a new dream home and split 5 acres off every 24 months (not allowed everywhere). He did this in his 'free time' (while working a very demanding FT job). I did the same a few times, but don't like building homes for others... (You have to do that CHEAP and fast. I like stone (indoors and out), woodwork, custom built-ins...)

Just my formula, certainly would not suit most. (That's fine)

International should be very ez, as many rural places around the globe come with multiple residences and usually a caretaker! A Homeschool family from Oregon wanted a Vineyard, and were priced out in USA, so they bought one in France, It came with a caretaker, Vine-dressor, Equipment, and 3 other residences (so the family sold 'equity shares to 4 other families. ) They ended up getting their share for free. (and had a very nice Vineyard that actually PRODUCED! (good for tax planning + Deductible business trips to France to attend to the details)

Don't think and act conventionally, or you will be stuck in a RUT!

By far the BEST bus / camper conversion ideas I have found, are in NZ!!! Everybody has one.. (for 'steampunk events)
https://buslifenz.com/vlog/2017/8/4/...ing-episode-44 Our campground hosts had an wonderful bus conversion and been in ONE spot for 29 yrs of retirement on a beautiful highland lake. I highly recommend it!

Thanks for all the info. How do you find the land before it goes up for sale. Also, how much do you typically spend on the land when you buy it, and how much do the taxes cost per year?

Old 06-15-2018, 09:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,824 posts, read 37,497,249 times
I use on-line tax information for property search.

I pay between $12k and $100k for rural land (depends where / what you want, and who else wants it)

Taxes! varies... A LOT!!!! thus you ALWAYS talk to the county assessor (and planners) BEFORE you start looking.

I have properties across the street from each other that are double the taxes. <1 mile apart 10x the difference (with same property cost basis) Different county / school / EMS / library district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or