U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 PM

676 posts, read 2,538,825 times

Advertisements

Hmm Im interested to know when the last time you lived in so cal. Considering that the entire highlands ranch plan was created and built by the same company that built LA basically...its no wonder there are many similarities. There are some that are friendly down there but the predominant attitude is totally that of areas of california
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM

86,890 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
ABSOLUTELY, except the gas part. I found the gas prices to be about the same. Soccermoms are ruining the world
I'm glad my kids did not do soccer. (Well, one did briefly in middle school intramurals.) I would not want to be called a "soccermom". Seems like it is a 4 letter word.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I'd venture to say jealousy exists in the metro area, regarding HR, but would move there if they could afford to.
I heard almost the exact same words expressing the same concept from a Boulder city council candidate a few years ago. I thought it made him look naive. We all want different things.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-30-2007 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: change a word

Old 10-30-2007, 05:31 PM

I agree HR is not for everyone. Its not that exclusive of a neighborhood. I tend to think that some people that live in the area have an "Im better than you because I live in a shiny new suburb" attitude. Not to say everyone does but you do get that feeling whenever you are down in that area at the mall or elsewhere.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:35 PM

I think people that live there think its some sort of status symbol though most people see it as arrogance

Up north here, we don't think about HR much at all.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:00 PM

9 posts, read 32,711 times
Highlands Ranch is cookie-cutter, track home hell. Just another dull town with absolutely zero character.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:09 PM

I actually have some friends that live down there and when I decided to move to denver from oceanside I checked out the HR area. Although there are many transplants from ca there thats not what I wanted when moving here otherwise I wouldn't have left. I think the north side is way more relaxed and less snobish

Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM

260 posts, read 1,330,403 times
I agree with what some of your are saying. I wasn't trying to say HR was exclusive or particularly special -- but it does have its merits. Originality of the home or lot isn't one of them, for sure. You can get a nice home, but it won't be an original and it won't be on a huge lot. People often focus only on the bad to miss all the good that it actually offers. I've mentioned in a previous post some of positive things HR offers.

It depends if you want to park your RV at your home or not. It depends if you want to have a laundry line in your backyard. It depends if you want to paint your house a wild color on the outside. It depends if you can live with an HOA. Because it is covenant controlled, you can't do these things in HR.

To me, the North side (of Denver) is nice, but its hit and miss. THere are trashy neighborhoods as well brand new neighborhoods (just like HR, BTW).

There are ratty parts almost everywhere. I would just say HR really doesn't have a ratty park, IMHO. Thats all. I've heard a lot of trash talking about HR -- but bottom line, its a lot better than most people think based only on looks a drive by. My neighborhood had nice people and genuine people in it. I know there are also jerks, but I have one living next to me down here in Castle Rock. You can't pick your neighbors.

You can call my opinions Naive, but I've known plenty of folks that bad-mouthed HR ... then later ended up there and ended up loving it. I know its not for everyone. Once you get used to having nice trails, roads that can handle the traffic without backup up, basically free rec centers and parks and amenities within walking distance -- you later appreciate that, when you move and realize that thats not something you find everywhere.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,032,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Hmm Im interested to know when the last time you lived in so cal. Considering that the entire highlands ranch plan was created and built by the same company that built LA basically...its no wonder there are many similarities. There are some that are friendly down there but the predominant attitude is totally that of areas of california
i agree there may be similarities. so many that i agree as well that it is beginning to seem like LA of the 50s/60s. where do many/most of the people there hail from? colorado, the midwest, texas?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,817,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.adams View Post
I agree with what some of your are saying. I wasn't trying to say HR was exclusive or particularly special -- but it does have its merits. Originality of the home or lot isn't one of them, for sure. You can get a nice home, but it won't be an original and it won't be on a huge lot. People often focus only on the bad to miss all the good that it actually offers. I've mentioned in a previous post some of positive things HR offers.

It depends if you want to park your RV at your home or not. It depends if you want to have a laundry line in your backyard. It depends if you want to paint your house a wild color on the outside. It depends if you can live with an HOA. Because it is covenant controlled, you can't do these things in HR.

To me, the North side (of Denver) is nice, but its hit and miss. THere are trashy neighborhoods as well brand new neighborhoods (just like HR, BTW).

There are ratty parts almost everywhere. I would just say HR really doesn't have a ratty park, IMHO. Thats all. I've heard a lot of trash talking about HR -- but bottom line, its a lot better than most people think based only on looks a drive by. My neighborhood had nice people and genuine people in it. I know there are also jerks, but I have one living next to me down here in Castle Rock. You can't pick your neighbors.

You can call my opinions Naive, but I've known plenty of folks that bad-mouthed HR ... then later ended up there and ended up loving it. I know its not for everyone. Once you get used to having nice trails, roads that can handle the traffic without backup up, basically free rec centers and parks and amenities within walking distance -- you later appreciate that, when you move and realize that thats not something you find everywhere.
I understand both sides. It's the same discussions we have on the LA boards. Cookie cutter Ventura County, Orange County and Santa Clarita or soulful Los Feliz and Old Pasadena. A lot has to do with having kids. If I were single I'd like the soulful places with clubs and vibe and people watching and funk. With kids I like predictability, convenience, activities, and some conformity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado