U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 01:21 PM

174 posts, read 117,785 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I am going to be spending a week in Denver this September for work. I have never been to Colorado so thinking about taking an extra few days to explore. I figure I will get a good taste of the city with staying in Denver while I am working. Any suggestions on where to stay to just chill out for a few days, enjoy some good views and hiking? Looks like Boulder and Fort Collins aren't that far. Would those be good places to check out? Sorry I am a complete newbie to researching Colorado. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 01:29 PM

85,030 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad06 View Post
Hey there,

I am going to be spending a week in Denver this September for work. I have never been to Colorado so thinking about taking an extra few days to explore. I figure I will get a good taste of the city with staying in Denver while I am working. Any suggestions on where to stay to just chill out for a few days, enjoy some good views and hiking? Looks like Boulder and Fort Collins aren't that far. Would those be good places to check out? Sorry I am a complete newbie to researching Colorado. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Boulder is "interesting". Yes, you should go there. I think you should also try to get up into the mountains a bit; that's where you may see some fall color, especially later in September. In fact, you could go to Boulder and then up to Rocky Mountain National Park. There's hiking everywhere, including at Rocky. I'm not much of a hiker, some others will have to chime in on some other places. Ft. Collins is a little farther than Boulder, though not much really. If you have to choose due to time constraints, I'd pick Boulder.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:42 PM

20,326 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Golden is a nice visit too, like the Coors brewery, etc, and Lookout Mountain.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:51 PM

6,166 posts, read 9,468,541 times
If the weather's not too warm hit up Mount Morrison above Red Rocks. 1.8 miles each way. About 2000' of vertical gain and a little bit of scrambling. Not a lot of shade, but the views from the top are great.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7027384

Roxborough State Park, Golden Gate Canyon State Park, and Eldorado Canyon State Park all have excellent hiking and are near Denver and Boulder.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:10 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,677,913 times
What kind of things do you like to do?

Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,839 posts, read 37,540,192 times
Come late in Sept and enjoy a very nice and unique Colorado experience.
1.5 hrs nw....
1) elk bugling - plenty near Estes Park /RMNP
2) aspen fall colors. Nearby Estes Park as well. (Steamboat, Gienwood Springs, Maroon Belles if you have an extra weekend.)

Extend the stay into October and go to Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, and the excellent Cumbres Steam Railway. Very nice during fall season!

During your work week, one afternoon run to Garden of the Gods(before dark), and another day head to Boulder (for evening). Sept Friday eve is great in Boulder. (Fresh crop of college kids...). +/-

Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM

174 posts, read 117,785 times
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I live in Florida so a little heat doesn't scare me. Will likely take 3-4 days on my own time to check out the areas around Denver. Main thing I'm looking for is a chill area with some great views, easy to moderate hiking and some cool coffee shops/breweries would be nice but not a must.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 AM

6,166 posts, read 9,468,541 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I live in Florida so a little heat doesn't scare me. Will likely take 3-4 days on my own time to check out the areas around Denver. Main thing I'm looking for is a chill area with some great views, easy to moderate hiking and some cool coffee shops/breweries would be nice but not a must.
Don't underestimate the triumvirate of heat, low humidity, and elevation. You'll sweat, but it won't stick to you like it will in Florida. You'll likely feel very thirsty, and depending on how far you head up the mountain you could start to feel the affects of AMS/altitude sickness.

Be ready to change plans at a moment's notice. Depending on the part of September you're here it could be 90 degrees with RH values in the single digits or it could be soggy and damp with temps in the 50s or 60s.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 AM

85,030 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Don't underestimate the triumvirate of heat, low humidity, and elevation. You'll sweat, but it won't stick to you like it will in Florida. You'll likely feel very thirsty, and depending on how far you head up the mountain you could start to feel the affects of AMS/altitude sickness.

Be ready to change plans at a moment's notice. Depending on the part of September you're here it could be 90 degrees with RH values in the single digits or it could be soggy and damp with temps in the 50s or 60s.
And it could snow in the mountains! Here, too, but far less likely.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,839 posts, read 37,540,192 times
Quote:
For nearby... Estes Park (will be a tad sleepy for many activities, but very 'chill' hiking options (RMNP and nearby)

For a more 'expensive / Happening' place... Breckenridge or Vail would be closest. But Glenwood / Carbondale /Aspen would be my 'trendy' choice

CoS (Colorado Springs) is always good for a weekday evening (Garden of Gods hike followed by brews (Coffee or beer))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or