U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 09:19 AM

32,177 posts, read 39,371,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
And so many of these type accidents these days involve people texting and talking on their damn cell phones. In my case (post#8) this happened in the mid 1970's. Heh, told ya it was in the dark ages!
The cell phone thing is nationwide. My incident that I referenced in Post #2 was in 1999.

The woman driving the car that hit the one behind me that then went into mine was doing about 60 (speed limit is 25). Never even hit her brakes. I was watching it unfold in my mirror. Fortunately I had left some space on front of me so I didn't go into that car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 AM

503 posts, read 229,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Why do Colorado drivers leave 1 or more car lengths between them and the car in front of them at a red light? It's baffling and inconsiderate.
"Colorado's" drivers (particularly along the I-25 corridor) include people from all over the place these days.

A Colorado State Patrol officer, moonlighting as a driving instructor for AAA, taught me to drive in the early 70s. I did learn to not pull up right on the tail of the person in front of me at a stop, but rather leave enough space to see the rear tires touching the pavement. The purpose of doing that was to leave adequate space in the case of a rear end collision or if something ahead happened where another driver needed maneuvering room. The distance is nowhere near even a car length though.

Why is it baffling? Where are you actually going to go? Wouldn't the traffic be stopped anyway? I see that scenario you describe happen, but rarely. I am too busy dodging the dangerous idiots on their phones to notice something that seems to be pretty harmless.

Don't let yourself get so worked up over what other people do and that you cannot control. It isn't worth it.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:26 AM

15,884 posts, read 8,847,933 times
I'd like to mention that my kids, who've all gone through a Colorado driving school in the past seven years, were taught to leave enough space to see the bottom of the front car's tires plus a foot or two of roadway when stopped in traffic. And as I mentioned earlier, I was taught the same thing thirty-five years ago in another part of the country. This is pretty standard defensive driving technique.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:34 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,636,194 times
Here's part deux, as seen from my bicycle this morning:

Car stops at red light 1-2 car lengths back from the white line - far enough that the buried sensor doesn't "see" him, so he sits through an extra cycle, until a car in the left turn lane appears and triggers the light to change. So what's the rationale for this one? No car in front of him that he has to worry about being pushed into, if rear ended.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:45 AM

15,884 posts, read 8,847,933 times
Quote:

Car stops at red light 1-2 car lengths back from the white line - far enough that the buried sensor doesn't "see" him, so he sits through an extra cycle, until a car in the left turn lane appears and triggers the light to change. So what's the rationale for this one? No car in front of him that he has to worry about being pushed into, if rear ended.
So now that a bunch of people have stepped up to inform you of the very good reasons to leave extra space between your car and the one ahead, you now change the argument? Come on. Just admit that you were wrong to criticize a very well-established defensive driving technique.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:02 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,636,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
So now that a bunch of people have stepped up to inform you of the very good reasons to leave extra space between your car and the one ahead, you now change the argument? Come on. Just admit that you were wrong to criticize a very well-established defensive driving technique.
First, it's not a very good reason. Second, this is a different scenario. There's nobody in front of you.

It's simply a poor driving technique that causes unnecessary traffic backups. Ever been on 6th Ave west in Golden during the morning commute. The the heritage Rd intersection, the left through lane becomes blocked by those in the left turning lane, backing into the through lane because of all the wasted space between the stopped cars waiting to make a left.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:13 PM

503 posts, read 229,197 times
Quote:
... far enough that the buried sensor doesn't "see" him...
A friend works for a large contractor that installs traffic signals and he says they don't bury the sensors anymore. Major intersections use a sensor-eye type system now. Granted, one would probably still have to be within a certain distance of the intersection to be detected. It's also how a green turn arrow stays on long enough to allow a long string of cars to get through.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:17 PM

389 posts, read 108,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
A friend works for a large contractor that installs traffic signals and he says they don't bury the sensors anymore. Major intersections use a sensor-eye type system now. Granted, one would probably still have to be within a certain distance of the intersection to be detected. It's also how a green turn arrow stays on long enough to allow a long string of cars to get through.
There are still plenty of in-ground sensor loops in use out there

Old 06-23-2018, 04:01 PM

4,129 posts, read 2,088,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'd like to mention that my kids, who've all gone through a Colorado driving school in the past seven years, were taught to leave enough space to see the bottom of the front car's tires plus a foot or two of roadway when stopped in traffic. And as I mentioned earlier, I was taught the same thing thirty-five years ago in another part of the country. This is pretty standard defensive driving technique.
Thank you! Leaving that much space means less risk of a rearender slamming you--a stopped car--into another car in front.

And, for the clueless who think it's OK to pull up right on someone's bumper on an uphill: How do you know that the driver in front won't accidentally let the car roll BACK and into you? Or even mistakenly throw it into Reverse? Don't poohpooh this; I know someone who had it happen to them. From a dead stop, sometimes just a few feet makes the difference between being hit or not.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:21 PM

2,297 posts, read 940,158 times
Quote:

Likely being cautious about the intersection and leaving himself a bubble in case some bozo comes up behind him while he's stopped and doesn't see him. I've seen this happen more than once in a couple of states I lived. In one I was starting to turn left and saw a car coming up fast behind another car on the opposing side of the road which was stopped. That stopped car was trapped because their left lane was full of cars and their right lane was full of cars. When the speeding car hit him, the car got knocked some distance out into the intersection and despite me stopping right before I reached the end of the left turn line he nearly hit me.

I have also seen where cars have been hit like this but have left that 'bubble' of space and did not go into the intersection.

Just part of defensive driving to leave the extra room. It's bad enough to be arse-ended but worse if you get knocked into the intersection and hit again head on/ side swiped, or whatever.

IMO it's just smart to leave at least a bit of room between yourself and other cars and your car and the white line.

Leaving a bit of space between cars is not confined to Colorado drivers :: A lot of "Colorado" drivers are from other areas of the US...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado