U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 02:00 AM

73 posts, read 26,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
This morning I was at an intersection light with a full car length between me and the car in front of me. I started to gently pull forward to fill in the gap in case someone else came up to the intersection behind me, but the car in front of me went into reverse to stop me and the driver started gesticulating wildly. I don't know if it was some weird coincidence and that guy was in some alternate universe in his vehicle and his weird behavior had nothing to do with me, or if he was really having a conniption fit over someone behaving entirely normally and appropriately at a stoplight intersection. You just never know what you're going to encounter on the roads these days....

Hahahahaha! So much at one red light!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 09:22 AM

77 posts, read 60,921 times
I've never seen so many people insist on driving in the left lane on the Interstate as they do in the Denver Metropolitan area of Colorado, and I've lived all over the country (Olympia, WA is pretty bad for this too). We used to travel from Montana to Longmont to visit family and on the 2-lane section of interstate in CO the left lane would be full of cars. Then when it opened to 3 lanes all the cars would shift over another lane to stay in the left.

Once I counted. I stayed in the right lane and passed 87 cars in the left two lanes, most of them in the far left, before we got to Longmont.

That same 3 day trip we witnessed 4 rear end collisions. Not the aftermath of them, actually saw them occur in real time. It was surreal.

The number of collisions I've witnessed real time since 1986 (to include 15 years living in Washington DC, and 3 years living in San Diego, CA and often travelling to LA?) 1.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM

189 posts, read 122,075 times
Obviously you're talking about northern I-25, what I call the ColoradoBahn. It's truly perilous. Folks get the impression that it's perfectly straight (except where it isn't), so they don't show the caution they would up in the mountains. Traffic volume continues to build there. Forty years ago, the Denver-to-Ft. Collins drive passed mostly cornfields, but now there's an interchange every couple of miles. You're never out of sight of a gas well, and the drilling and maintenance infrastructure adds to the load, too. When accident delays become this common, it's tempting to drive when you can, to get it over with.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:53 PM

189 posts, read 122,075 times
Default Here's why I think this is wrong ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
As a former driving teacher, I taught people to stop far enough behind the car in front of them to see the car's rear wheels touching the road. That leaves room to maneuver around them for any reason. Common sense practice taught across the country. Certainly not inconsiderate in any way. Defensive driving requires that you leave yourself a way out of any situation. You never put yourself & your car in a situation you can't get out of.

"Thank you for your service." But you and other driving instructors were, no doubt, driving one of those low-slung compact sedans at the bottom rung of the price range. The front hood edge and the driver's eyes are both low in these cars, so your range of vision had you stopping perhaps 10 feet from that tell-tale tire ahead. Now sit in Ford Explorer, or a jacked up pickup, with a shoulder-high hood. Now your forward view of the road begins probably 25 feet away. How can one rule of thumb work for such different sizes of vehicle?

Now your 20-foot vehicle is taking up the space of two. This adds to road congestion, especially at intersections. Fewer vehicles can make the light cycles, which adds to red-light "cheating" and delays. In this way, your safety measure is indirectly dangerous to other drivers.

With the ongoing proliferation of oversized personal vehicles, the ill effects of this selfish practice will only get worse.

Sure, if you only care about keeping yourself (or, properly, your students) safe from harm, keep as far away from other vehicles as possible. Park on the far fringes of parking lots. Only drive after midnight, when roads are empty. States used to require a flagman to precede a car, to warn of the danger. But we've made compromises with safety, like raising speed limits, because we need to get places. You don't own the road, so share it!

Old 08-01-2018, 07:09 PM

58 posts, read 18,625 times
OP. If I can not see your headlights in my rear view mirror, you are too effing close and you will eventually rear end some one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado