Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 04:10 PM

35 posts, read 55,805 times

Advertisements

I am a 23-year-old from the Dallas/Fort Worth area and am looking to relocate to the Grand Junction area or eastern Utah. I have been in that area before and I love the Canyon/Mountain geography, hiking, and the outdoors in general. I am currently a Safety Engineer for a construction company in Dallas and would like to know what type of jobs are available in the Grand Junction/Eastern Utah area. It does not necessarily have to be safety related as I am open to other fields of work. I really want out of the metro area as I am tired of constant road construction, traffic, and the amount of people here.

What is it like living in Grand Junction?

How high is the cost of living?

What is the dating scene like? (I am a straight male)

Who is hiring?

What are some awesome things to do there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 04:46 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Grand Junction is a college town, Mesa State. I think you’ll find many adventurous young people like yourself. There is too much to mention here about things to do. There are paddle sports on the Colorado River and nearby lakes. Tons and tons of mountain and road biking and hiking. Close to Moab and Telluride. Great emerging food scene downtown.

Cost of living is relative. Lower than Denver, but maybe not as low as Texas.

GJ is attracting new companies. Some of the newer one ones moving there are RockyMounts https://www.rockymounts.com, Bonsai Design https://bonsai-design.com

GJ is also close to Colorodo’s wine region which was listed as one of the ten wine destinations to visit in the world. https://www.winemag.com/top-10-wine-...-colorado-usa/

I would visit and see if it’s right for you. I have a feeling GJ is on the verge of becoming Colorado’s next new cool zip code.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:07 PM

Nice overview of Fruita, one town over from Grand Junction.

https://www.5280.com/2018/03/first-t...uita-colorado/

Old 06-29-2018, 12:30 PM

204 posts, read 201,712 times
COcheesehead: Interesting what you say about new companies moving there, and how you think it's poised to be the next cool zip code. I love GJ and would like to live in the area, but I'm always reading that the economy there isn't good for jobs.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
COcheesehead: Interesting what you say about new companies moving there, and how you think it's poised to be the next cool zip code. I love GJ and would like to live in the area, but I'm always reading that the economy there isn't good for jobs.
They are trying to up the hotel tax from 3% to 6% and use those funds as incentives to lure more "clean" manufacturing and outdoor product companies. They also want to add more direct flights. Both of those will help the economy.

The town certainly does not feel depressed. It feels like its on an upward trend, vibrant and full of life. You can get more info here.

https://www.gjep.org/

Old 06-29-2018, 02:33 PM

A little more about GJ from Travel and Leisure mag.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/sli...ction-colorado

Old 06-29-2018, 03:34 PM

204 posts, read 201,712 times
Thanks for the links. I read another thread on here a little bit ago that said medical was hot there. My wife works in medical, and I am in finance/accounting.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
Thanks for the links. I read another thread on here a little bit ago that said medical was hot there. My wife works in medical, and I am in finance/accounting.
From what I read, there is a shortage in medical there. Good luck with everything.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:08 PM

66 posts, read 101,670 times
I've been in GJ for 24 years and have worked in a specialty private practice physicians group for the past 19 years (to maintain a little bit of anonymity I won't say which group). It has taken us 6+ months to find a halfway reliable/decent work ethic person just to answer the phones & schedule patients.

AND, I gave my employer 10 months notice that I wanted to go to part time work; 9 months later we are still looking for a person to step into my job and I think I'll be working full time for a while yet.

Given that we are the largest town between Denver & Salt Lake City, and GJ looks like it is starting once again to be an attractive retirement destination, anyone who works in health care should be able to find work here.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:36 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
I am very excitedly reading this thread and all the links given (thanks!) I am also in DFW and thinking of GJ as the next option when we are empty-nesters. My oldest is already there at CMU, so we have visited about 3 times/year for the last 3 years. My oldest who would be looking for your typical college student job, now has 2 part time jobs but it took her much longer to find them than it would have in DFW (would maybe take one day!).
I am therefore concerned about my husband and I finding work there, which is the only thing holding us back. I am an insurance underwriter, and have only found this type of job in Denver.
I think GJ is an un, or under- discovered gem. I think/hope that it will be the next hip spot in a few years.
Incidentally, housing is cheaper there than most of DFW, and certainly easier to acquire- i.e. not 10 offers above asking on the table before the sign goes in the yard like DFW
OP- if you move and meet a cute girl from DFW it's probably my angel! Best of luck and hope to join you in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado