Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:25 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,389 times

Advertisements

In reading the Colorado posts I have to laugh because that is where I was just five years ago. Colorado, in my case Boulder, seemed perfect on paper. Liberal, beautiful, lower cost of living than my former residence in Massachusetts, lots of outdooor activities, biking, which I am very fond of, etc. etc.

Well five years later I am ready to move back East. Prior to moving to Colorado I was biking two hours a day, very fit and basically never sick.

I moved to Boulder four years ago. The first six months here, I was hospitalized with pneumonia twice, had bronchitis twice and whooping cough that lasted two months. I have since developed asthma, and high blood pressure, never having either before, and have basically been plagued with respiratory problems the entire time I have lived here.

I haven't been able to bike or enjoy most of the outdoors because I am either sick or recovering from being sick.

In my case I am alergic to dust, and Colorado is REALLY dusty. I can dust my house and just a few days later the furniture is covered in a fine layer of dust. I installed a whole house HEPA fiilter a few years ago but it hasn't helped too much.

I am not a young person and perhaps that is the key. If you are healthy and young I doubt if you would have the same issues that I have, but you have to keep in mind that Colorado is not for everyone. The climate here is very arid and the summers to me are brutal. I would rather have the winters in New England than the summers here. And I am not a winter person.

Prior to moving here I visited many times but never developed any of the symptoms that I have now.

Colorado is a wonderful place, but not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
The climate here is very arid and the summers to me are brutal. I would rather have the winters in New England than the summers here. And I am not a winter person.

Prior to moving here I visited many times but never developed any of the symptoms that I have now.

Yes, the extremes--and the aridity--can get to a person. We had a friend who moved to Colorado as a young adult who was fine for many years, but later in life she developed constant bronchial as well as sinus trouble and eventually moved to Washington state, where there is a bit more humidity.
My husband never had allergies in his life until he moved to Colorado, once we moved away, he's been fine ever since--but now I get allergies every January/February when the pine trees pollinate.
There is no perfect place.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewillowplate View Post
yes, the extremes--and the aridity--can get to a person. We had a friend who moved to colorado as a young adult who was fine for many years, but later in life she developed constant bronchial as well as sinus trouble and eventually moved to washington state, where there is a bit more humidity.
My husband never had allergies in his life until he moved to colorado, once we moved away, he's been fine ever since--but now i get allergies every january/february when the pine trees pollinate.
There is no perfect place.
amen

Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 PM

19 posts, read 79,790 times
Living in Boulder will make any person sick!

Old 09-17-2008, 12:50 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,580 times
Usually, when people say they are allergic to dust, they actually mean they are allergic to dust mites! Dust mites need @ 70% humidity to live and reproduce. I'm wondering if you were reacting to pollen, instead?

Dust Mites

It is however very dusty on the front range and can aggravate asthma!

Old 09-17-2008, 12:54 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,659 times
I know what you're going through. When I first moved here, I developed some sort of allergy, and I swear, I couldn't see for 6 months, until I adjusted. I'd visited many times before, for weeks at a time and never had those issues.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:55 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post

In my case I am alergic to dust, and Colorado is REALLY dusty. I can dust my house and just a few days later the furniture is covered in a fine layer of dust. I installed a whole house HEPA fiilter a few years ago but it hasn't helped too much.
Sorry to hear of your health issues! That really stinks.
I did not have allergy problems until I moved to CO but since I moved to the mountains I don't suffer from them. I had to chuckle at your dust comment. I can dust my furniture in the morning and by afternoon I can see the dust! Yes, Colorado is dusty! I've learned to live with it. But then, I am not allergic so I can.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:36 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Dusty house? Gee, I'm ahead of the curve. I live in eastern Mass., and my house is always dusty. And dog hairy. I could live in Colorado and not notice!
The guy who built my house suggested I hire Brazilians to come in and clean. That's the local immigrant group right now who start small cleaning businesses. I don't mow my lawn. I'd love to have a personal chef. Jeez, I've got to do *something* myself.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:17 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Viruses thrive in low humidity, so upper respiratory infections like those you describe are very common in arid places like Colorado. Sorry to hear you're suffering.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
As I've always been a thorough slob and rarely dusted or vacuumed wherever I lived, the increase in dryness and dust hasn't affected me at all. That's the trick - start out disgusting and you won't suffer . I actually improved when I moved here and the persistent and agonising sinus problems I had in Minnesota have left me entirely. The only allergy I have is to flouride!

Sorry to read of all your trials though - I hope things clear up for you when you move and better luck in your new location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado