U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:28 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,185,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Estes Park, Nederland, Woodland Park. Hope you like extreme cold the minute the sun goes down.
Went to Estes Park, maybe 5 years ago. July 4th weekend. Pouring rain, temp maxed at 43.
LOL at "extreme cold". Definitely notice a temperature change though.
It's 77 up here now and it's not even noon. Feels hotter. I'd gladly take 43 degrees and pouring rain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,827 posts, read 37,497,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
LOL at "extreme cold". Definitely notice a temperature change though.
It's 77 up here now and it's not even noon. Feels hotter. I'd gladly take 43 degrees and pouring rain!
Ok.... you can have 43f and drizzle for 240-280 days / yr / 24 hrs / day in PNWe-t. ok:

I drop by Colorado in Jan and Feb to Ďwarm-upí.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:17 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,119,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsFarSouthAsSouthGoes View Post
For normal construction, Buena Vista
For alternative (earthship, straw bale etc) Crestone although youíll be farther out from DIA.
OP's original post said under 7,500 elevation.

Buena Vista won't work for OP. It's 8,000 elevation.

Crestone won't work. It's 7,923 elevation.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:51 PM

40 posts, read 9,392 times
Good point but I doubt 500 feet will matter.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,827 posts, read 37,497,249 times
Quote:
Good point but I doubt 500 feet will matter.
Not a deal breaker...
I'm hesitant to pick a place that's higher than 7500'.

Note that the OP has enjoyed a ‘distant’ view of the mtns in AK, looks like 30miles away. lots of choices for that in CO. But.... I would guess <10% Colo residents can sit on their couch / kitchen table. and enjoy a nice mtn view. I’m glad my CO parents taught me to situate my homes with a nice view from every room. My Laundry and 1 bath are absent territorial views on this home, I will try to do better next time. As a retiree. I finally have time to stay home and enjoy the view. It is really priceless to do so, especially if infirmed / bed ridden. (Very Probable as we age).

Nice mtn views and 2 hrs to a major airport sounds to be SLC (Ogden / Provo), Many Colorado retiree friends rent PT qtrs in UT to enjoy VACANT weekday snow skiing. (Their pics show 3 cars in the ski area lot... lift operator, ski patrol, and them,!) If AK people are ‘wilderness’ low impact and less CROWDS outdoor centric... SLC gets them a lot closer to pristine mtn wilderness. ID, WY, MT, UT, western CO.

Star Valley, WY will get OP to Mtns + income tax free domicile + ‘close enough’ to intl airport, and similar setting as AK (remote) not hoards of people seeking mtns and recreation, and fighting for limited resources. (Traffic). While in AK (and WY), I find the traffic tolerable. (on trails and highways)

Old 07-04-2018, 07:00 PM

As temperatures rise, I wonder if Colorado will get climate refugees at higher elevations. Coming from Alaska, OP may want a cooler climate and that means higher elevations.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:08 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,689,931 times
Quote:
As temperatures rise, I wonder if Colorado will get climate refugees at higher elevations. Coming from Alaska, OP may want a cooler climate and that means higher elevations.
I've thought about that too. I think it is a real possibility but water issues and altitude effects will limit the number of people who can successfully make that move. Although people live in much hotter climates than here - it may be that to a point, higher temperature is an easier thing to adapt to than lack of water and higher altitude issues.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:54 PM

I agree about the water issue. I always thought water will eventually dictate growth in Colorado. But I’m not so sure about altitude. Humans are very adaptable. I came from sea level and regularly bag passes on my mountain bike. I’m doing Monarch pass next week. Your body adjusts to the change.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:25 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,689,931 times
Quote:
I agree about the water issue. I always thought water will eventually dictate growth in Colorado. But Iím not so sure about altitude. Humans are very adaptable. I came from sea level and regularly bag passes on my mountain bike. Iím doing Monarch pass next week. Your body adjusts to the change.
Yes, I think for most that is true. But a lot of people do seem to have chronic issues with altitude if they have underlying health issues etc. There are threads in various parts of the Colorado forum about all these issues people have had and the inability of some of them to adapt over time and needing to leave, etc. Most healthy people it wouldn't be an issue, but apparently for some it is.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:26 PM

Speaking of health issues, I think Tash should worry more about access to health care than altitude. It can be an issue in rural CO. Like all underserved rural areas of the US, it might influence where you settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado