U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:50 AM

6,527 posts, read 5,838,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not a deal breaker...
I'm hesitant to pick a place that's higher than 7500'.

Note that the OP has enjoyed a ‘distant’ view of the mtns in AK, looks like 30miles away. lots of choices for that in CO. But.... I would guess <10% Colo residents can sit on their couch / kitchen table. and enjoy a nice mtn view. I’m glad my CO parents taught me to situate my homes with a nice view from every room. My Laundry and 1 bath are absent territorial views on this home, I will try to do better next time. As a retiree. I finally have time to stay home and enjoy the view. It is really priceless to do so, especially if infirmed / bed ridden. (Very Probable as we age).

Nice mtn views and 2 hrs to a major airport sounds to be SLC (Ogden / Provo), Many Colorado retiree friends rent PT qtrs in UT to enjoy VACANT weekday snow skiing. (Their pics show 3 cars in the ski area lot... lift operator, ski patrol, and them,!) If AK people are ‘wilderness’ low impact and less CROWDS outdoor centric... SLC gets them a lot closer to pristine mtn wilderness. ID, WY, MT, UT, western CO.

Star Valley, WY will get OP to Mtns + income tax free domicile + ‘close enough’ to intl airport, and similar setting as AK (remote) not hoards of people seeking mtns and recreation, and fighting for limited resources. (Traffic). While in AK (and WY), I find the traffic tolerable. (on trails and highways)
Dude. I ski Utah. There isn’t a ski area around that could stay in business if there are only 3 cars in the parking lot on weekends. Sorry that’s just not true. You’re ignoring facts to continue with your “nobody should move to Colorado” agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:24 AM

4,066 posts, read 2,055,040 times
Quote:
Not a deal breaker...
I'm hesitant to pick a place that's higher than 7500'.

Note that the OP has enjoyed a ‘distant’ view of the mtns in AK, looks like 30miles away. lots of choices for that in CO. But.... I would guess <10% Colo residents can sit on their couch / kitchen table. and enjoy a nice mtn view. I’m glad my CO parents taught me to situate my homes with a nice view from every room. My Laundry and 1 bath are absent territorial views on this home, I will try to do better next time. As a retiree. I finally have time to stay home and enjoy the view. It is really priceless to do so, especially if infirmed / bed ridden. (Very Probable as we age).

Nice mtn views and 2 hrs to a major airport sounds to be SLC (Ogden / Provo), Many Colorado retiree friends rent PT qtrs in UT to enjoy VACANT weekday snow skiing. (Their pics show 3 cars in the ski area lot... lift operator, ski patrol, and them,!) If AK people are ‘wilderness’ low impact and less CROWDS outdoor centric... SLC gets them a lot closer to pristine mtn wilderness. ID, WY, MT, UT, western CO.

Star Valley, WY will get OP to Mtns + income tax free domicile + ‘close enough’ to intl airport, and similar setting as AK (remote) not hoards of people seeking mtns and recreation, and fighting for limited resources. (Traffic). While in AK (and WY), I find the traffic tolerable. (on trails and highways)
Yeah, well, the southeast AK tourism brochures show nothing but nonrainy, blue skies. My travel companions and I noticed this even before we went there. Even though we visited during a long hot, dry spell during its driest season, the blue sky propaganda is just that: propaganda. We had plenty of cloudy days and rain even during the dry season.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 AM

424 posts, read 176,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Dude. I ski Utah. There isn’t a ski area around that could stay in business if there are only 3 cars in the parking lot on weekends. Sorry that’s just not true. You’re ignoring facts to continue with your “nobody should move to Colorado” agenda.
LOL. I agree with you.

This may come as a shock, but some folks on here exaggerate and gasp, even lie.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:55 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,439,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It's more like a "nobody should move to the Front Range (esp. Denver)" agenda. The notion that the Colorado of 50 years ago was somehow better than the Colorado of today is laughable. Look at Wyoming. THAT is Colorado 50 years ago. Largely rural and stuck in the mud with a crappy undiversified economy which is almost completely dependent upon one sector (energy). When coal finally goes belly-up completely, Wyoming's economy is gonna fall into the toilet.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:47 PM

732 posts, read 474,351 times
We have spent 10 days in Alaska last month and 5 in Colorado this month. Alaska has more isolated mountains and rivers (duh) and the 24 hr summer days make exploring fun. We both like Colorado better- easier to get there - cheaper- more variety and no mosquitoes.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yeah, well, the southeast AK tourism brochures show nothing but nonrainy, blue skies. My travel companions and I noticed this even before we went there. Even though we visited during a long hot, dry spell during its driest season, the blue sky propaganda is just that: propaganda. We had plenty of cloudy days and rain even during the dry season.
Of course... I Have not seen any Colorado tourism brochures that promote the ominous Brown Cloud, and perpertual Everbrown Forests. Heaven forbid the OP from AK shows up during the 8 months of Brown-out (grasses / trees / fields)

Worked in AK several summers, saw the mtns a few times (Summer is not the BEST time to be in AK, and NO time is guaranteed clear. )

I'm just responding to the OP... (not the Chamber of Commerce Welcoming Committee from ANY state.)
We're primarily looking in Colorado, but we are also considering Utah. Or really anywhere else that you can think of that meets these criteria! Thanks so much!
no love lost for destruction of CO
Enjoy your 'prized state' (I enjoy the very little revenue if provides me, but at least it's a decent tax loss!)

(Just sharing a little REALITY, without the "Rose Colored glasses" )
Let to OP come and be 'Impressed' There are still a couple redeeming qualities in any state.

No Fear or fantasy needed ! ( read 36,238,587 times, only (2) of which is on the 'ignore list'

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-06-2018 at 12:48 AM..

Old 07-06-2018, 06:11 AM

Ok, I think most people get what’s going on here. Don’t feed the trolls.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:14 AM

13,309 posts, read 7,290,471 times
When I lived in Lone Tree (Douglas County), I had an unobstructed view of the mountains from my deck, and back yard. Mt. Evans was the centerpiece, but I could almost see from Pikes Peak to Long's Peak. It was nice having a cup of coffee at my kitchen table, or deck and seeing that view. Priceless!

Old 07-06-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
When I lived in Lone Tree (Douglas County), I had an unobstructed view of the mountains from my deck, and back yard. Mt. Evans was the centerpiece, but I could almost see from Pikes Peak to Long's Peak. It was nice having a cup of coffee at my kitchen table, or deck and seeing that view. Priceless!
That’s pretty much what we have today. Same area.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:15 AM

4,066 posts, read 2,055,040 times
Quote:
Of course... I Have not seen any Colorado tourism brochures that promote the ominous Brown Cloud, and perpertual Everbrown Forests. Heaven forbid the OP from AK shows up during the 8 months of Brown-out (grasses / trees / fields)

Worked in AK several summers, saw the mtns a few times (Summer is not the BEST time to be in AK, and NO time is guaranteed clear. )

I'm just responding to the OP... (not the Chamber of Commerce Welcoming Committee from ANY state.)
We're primarily looking in Colorado, but we are also considering Utah. Or really anywhere else that you can think of that meets these criteria! Thanks so much!
no love lost for destruction of CO
Enjoy your 'prized state' (I enjoy the very little revenue if provides me, but at least it's a decent tax loss!)

(Just sharing a little REALITY, without the "Rose Colored glasses" )
Let to OP come and be 'Impressed' There are still a couple redeeming qualities in any state.

No Fear or fantasy needed ! ( read 36,238,587 times, only (2) of which is on the 'ignore list'
IF you read the posts I made right in this thread, it would be very clear that I have no rose-colored glasses on. I returned to CO after living in it for many years, have lived through a mandatory long evacuation due to fire, and fully know the state’s positive and negative points. Just because I pointed out propaganda in AK tourism brochures doesn’t mean I have not seen it in CO and other states. I would bet money EVERY state puts out “exaggerations” in their promo. Including your friends’ photos of only 3 cars in a UT ski resort parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado