U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 09:38 PM

13 posts, read 9,138 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! We're starting to look for potential places to settle down after my husband retires in a few years. Our main criteria is awesome mountain views, as we've gotten so very spoiled in Alaska. I've included a picture to see what we've got, even though I know it'll be tough to find something similar. Our families are on the east coast, so it's been tough to visit as often as we'd like.

Our other criteria is a place within a 2 hour drive from either Denver or Co Springs (or other major airport) and ability to have a decent amount of land - ideally above an acre, but half acre would work as well. Budget is kinda flexible since we have time to save, and we're only in the beginning planning stages. We don't mind being a little remote, but I would like to be less than 45 minutes to a grocery store. I also want a place with plenty of snow. We currently get around 56 inches and I'd love even more than that! Elevation is a little tricky, since I've never been above sea level, I'm hesitant to pick a place that's higher than 7500'.

We're primarily looking in Colorado, but we are also considering Utah. Or really anywhere else that you can think of that meets these criteria! Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Best mountain views-r-r.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 10:04 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,695,873 times
I think Estes Park meets most/all of your criteria, as does Boulder. The views might not be quite as great as your picture. Colorado's weather I think is more variable and in some dry years we can get a lot less snow than average - such as has happened this past year for much of the state. We are hoping this is not the new normal but with climate change it is a legitimate concern.

The snowiest city in Colorado is Pagosa Springs but it is out of your preferred area.

For most of the truly knock-out views, you might want to consider higher elevation or farther from the Springs/Denver - such as Telluride or the South Park area, etc. - although there are plenty of very nice views out there. Colorado Springs itself might meet your criteria although it would generally be lower in snow than you asked for.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:57 PM

2,777 posts, read 3,470,290 times
Estes Park might work, though I've been lead to believe snowfall in town isn't usually particularly high as it sits in a rain / snow shadow east of the big mountains.

Other possibilities include Lyons, Idaho Springs, Georgetown...

At the limit of your distance from big city preference or a bit beyond it would be Westcliffe, Buena Vista. Tremendous views available. Bailey and Fairplay are closer. Fairplay has lots of mtn view land. Bailey is more forested but some spots might have views.
Buena Vista is also in a rain shadow and might be too dry looking for some. Fairplay is out in open.

Grandby and Grand Lake might work too though they are the coldest spots in the state.

One more area might be Heeney. Remote but a drive near your limit gets you to all of Summit County's shopping, services, etc. But basically nothing closer. Great views possible.

Many of these spots at your elevation or a little beyond. Fairplay is well beyond at almost 10k. Lyons, the lowest at under 5500 in town.

What do you want in terms of house & budget? Or planning on building?

In Colorado you will usually pay dearly for a good view, even more for a great one. But super active shopping might find somewhat of an exception.

Of course check out water situation, other utilities. If you look at river or canyon properties, give serious consideration to potential flood issues. Some spots are really unwise and even deadly.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-02-2018 at 11:34 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 11:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,839 posts, read 37,528,120 times
CO Mtn Views are pretty "Bare Bones" compared to Alaska.

I can't imagine why you want to be 2 hrs from DEN or COS (DEN airport is 1/2 way to Kansas (or so it seems...)) I go to DEN frequently from Estes Park and it can be a challenge (traffic, not snow).

Thus I would
1) Fly out of Aspen and live at Maroon Bells
2) Find another location (state) (UT is nice (also arid mtns), but LOTS of people, head in the Teton direction 2 hrs from SLC
3) there are about 5 private homes within Teton National park, nice Mtn views
4) WA would have Mtns similar to AK (when you can see them) also an income tax free state, as AK, and you can live on OR border for sales tax free shopping) I like my 20 min drive to a very great international airport - Here is my view . mtn access https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...XND7YQ_AUICygC
(it rains / ices a lot in PNW, so I travel in winter... NZ and South America have very long days, Dec - Feb).
5) MT and ID have some nice Mtn views (with TREES!!!) Colorado and WY have significant patches of 'everbrown' forests (Beetle kill)

Lots of choices, come take a peak. (Peek)

Old 07-03-2018, 07:18 AM

6,579 posts, read 5,869,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I can't imagine why you want to be 2 hrs from DEN or COS (DEN airport is 1/2 way to Kansas (or so it seems...)) I go to DEN frequently from Estes Park and it can be a challenge (traffic, not snow).

Thus I would
2) Find another location (state) (UT is nice (also arid mtns), but LOTS of people, head in the Teton direction 2 hrs from SLC
4) WA would have Mtns similar to AK (when you can see them) also an income tax free state, as AK, and you can live on OR border for sales tax free shopping) I like my 20 min drive to a very great international airport - Here is my view . mtn access https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...XND7YQ_AUICygC
(it rains / ices a lot in PNW, so I travel in winter... NZ and South America have very long days, Dec - Feb).
5) MT and ID have some nice Mtn views (with TREES!!!) Colorado and WY have significant patches of 'everbrown' forests (Beetle kill)

Live at Maroon Bells? Lots of housing there? Same goes for the odds of getting 1 of the 5 residences at Teton.

Flying out of the mountain airports like Aspen or Telluride would certainly add to the expense of traveling but it is doable. Telluride has some of the most scenic mountain views in the state but 1/2 acre will put you out of town a little ways.

Sticking to the original request of being within a couple hours of Denver I do think maybe Lyons looking up at Longs Peak.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:16 AM

2,677 posts, read 1,677,913 times
Woodland Park, Divide, Florissant, Cripple Creek, or Victor areas. These are all on the north or west side of Pikes Peak. All have numerous sub divisions with a wide variety of acreage and home sizes, styles, and ages. All will be within 2 hrs of COS Airport. Woodland Park is the largest of the bunch and has several grocery stores and is within 40 minutes of the smaller towns. All will have more snow that Colo Spgs. All may have views of Pikes Peak, Rampart Range, or Sangre De Cristos depending on locale.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:58 AM

4,098 posts, read 2,069,721 times
Gorgeous views of high peaks will mean $$$$$$$$$$$$ in places that have the other wish list items.

For example, acreage in Telluride with a view...do a search to get a dose of sticker shock.

Might be some fire sales (no joke), the way things are going firewise. And after major snowstorms, the For Sale signs in high foothills locations sprout like forests.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:09 AM

6,579 posts, read 5,869,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Woodland Park, Divide, Florissant, Cripple Creek, or Victor areas. These are all on the north or west side of Pikes Peak. All have numerous sub divisions with a wide variety of acreage and home sizes, styles, and ages. All will be within 2 hrs of COS Airport. Woodland Park is the largest of the bunch and has several grocery stores and is within 40 minutes of the smaller towns. All will have more snow that Colo Spgs. All may have views of Pikes Peak, Rampart Range, or Sangre De Cristos depending on locale.
Great call and under 2 hours to Denver. Cripple Creek is right at 2 hours last I drove it.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 AM

4,098 posts, read 2,069,721 times
It could be worse. You could seek high snowcapped craggy peaks AND a fjord immediately adjacent. There is literally no other U.S. state that has that combo. Maine has a fjord but the mountains near it are small and gentle.

Yes, AK can really spoil you. I knew it after spending a month at sea there.

Leadville or Fairplay will get you the high mtns and snow, but they won’t meet your other criteria. High altitude would need to be checked out with a visit first.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:16 PM

447 posts, read 183,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Thus I would

How does one live at Maroon Bells? Its a protected park.
I also would beg to differ that Colorado mountain views are bare bones. Why would you say that?

We lived along the front range south of Denver and had 180 degree views of the front range. If you want land, close to the city, but having a feeling of being miles away, I would look at Monument, Palmer Lake, Sedalia, the Black Forest and Perry Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado