U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 10:25 PM

731 posts, read 473,964 times

Advertisements

There hasn't been a real thread on La Junta since the one started in 2009.

It certainly is not the hottest place in Colorado but it is in the 90s for 3 months a year or so.

Is there a water shortage for farmers?

Is the town dying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 09:12 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
I don't see any evidence that it is dying. It is an average small plains town and holding its own. Yes, it is consistently in the 90s in many of our summers in the Arkansas Valley.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:50 PM

1,778 posts, read 3,478,323 times
I was just there a few weeks ago. It was 104 degrees. We were driving part of the Santa Fe Trail. I had hoped La Junta would have some neat museums but not really. There was a few but nothing about the Santa fe Trail. We hadn't realized how hot it could be. I guess I always thought of Colorado being cooler than Oklahoma but it was not.

Bent Fort was interesting but again in the 100s!! Plus we were pulling a trailer!

Old 07-05-2018, 09:32 AM

2,927 posts, read 1,429,178 times
Does anybody know the name of a very tall and well known family in LaJunta? The boys run about 6'8". Some went into ranching. Their grandfather invented a device that exterminated coyotes and became somewhat wealthy as I recall.

For some reason, I keep trying to remember the last name of Karen ________. We dated for a period in the 80's.

Last I heard, the family liked to own Mercury Cougars. Think I talked to one of the boys in a traffic jam on LaVeta Pass...then traffic got moving again. He had just taken his kids fishing in the mountains.

Small towns tend to be having a bit of a struggle. Little manufacturing and fewer numbers of farmers and ranchers. Plus the move to shut down small town post offices so we can build more weapons...

I don't know why retirees put up with scandalous costs of living in large cities when they could easily live anywhere if they don't need a job.

Hotter summers mean milder winters. Always found it interesting....the warmer weather that starts around Canon City and heads through Pueblo and east. Some call it the banana belt. I sometimes turn on my a/c when traveling through the Pueblo area while not needing it elsewhere.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:26 AM

16,163 posts, read 20,172,692 times
We had a poster here called La Junta Econ Devel who would contribute to the forum regarding SE Colorado subjects, he hasn't posted in a few years though.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:24 PM

2,927 posts, read 1,429,178 times
Seems self evident that the plains are going to have a time competing with the Colorado mountains which are simply incredible. Also - wanted to bump the thread since I can't remember the name of the prominent LaJunta family.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:55 AM

168 posts, read 96,636 times
Default The Koshare Museum

Surprised no one has mentioned the The Koshare Museum. I see there were summer performances.

My Boy Scout Troop 533 used to have a summer camp below Cottonwood Pass (much different in 1966-7 than driving to the top today). Stopping @ the Koshares Museum for a performance & sleepover. Along the way, we would stop @ a truck garden & score cantaloupe & once some blackberry juice which we scouts fermented to wine @ high altitude/attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado