U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 10:01 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,625,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
It is also worth mentioning that in CO, even in places that are hitting 80-90s during the summer days, will still cool down to the 50s overnight.
Not lately. Lows have been 62-65. Just got back from biking. Left home at 7:15. Ugh!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 06:34 PM

157 posts, read 34,469 times
I understand it's a very narrow slice of data, but I just averaged out the highs, lows and humidity of a bunch of places loosely on my list over the next 15 days. Here's the data:

Average high:
Spokane WA - 91.6
Portland OR - 90.9
Boulder CO - 87.1
Lake Tahoe CA - 84.9
Burlington VT - 83.8
Minneapolis MN - 83.3
Durango CO - 82.4
Santa Fe NM - 81.9
Flagstaff AZ - 75.8

Average low:
Minneapolis MN - 65.8
Burlington VT - 62.9
Spokane WA - 61.8
Boulder CO - 62.0
Portland OR - 60.7
Santa Fe NM - 58.1
Flagstaff AZ - 53.4
Durango CO - 52.9
Lake Tahoe CA - 51.6

Average dew point:
Minneapolis MN - 68.6
Burlington VT - 65.9
Portland OR - 64.9
Boulder CO - 60.8
Durango CO - 60.2
Flagstaff AZ - 57.3
Spokane WA - 53.8
Santa Fe NM - 53.6
Lake Tahoe CA - 52.8

Admittedly, there were a lot of thunderstorms in the southwest and rocky mountain areas which inflated their dew points and possibly brought their average high temperatures down a bit - but from my reading, this isn't terribly unusual for July. Just going off of the next 15 days:

-Spokane WA and Portland OR are the least pleasant places to spend an afternoon outside, due to heat. Portland isn't even dry.

-Minneapolis has the worst nights of anywhere I'm considering by far, and would be a step in the wrong direction from Burlington.

-Flagstaff is borderline too cool in summer. Looks like there are days I'd want to dress warm there even in July. I'd visit though and see.

Going by these numbers alone, Santa Fe, Durango and Lake Tahoe look most pleasant to me (climate-wise), with Tahoe having a few borderline too warm days but extremely low humidity on them.

I don't think I'll be able to find a decent job in Tahoe and possibly not Durango. Living in Colorado closer to the mountains (or a bit up into them) is a distinct possibility. Santa Fe / Los Alamos is a distinct possibility.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,835 posts, read 37,517,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I...
Going by these numbers alone, Santa Fe, Durango and Lake Tahoe look most pleasant to me (climate-wise), with Tahoe having a few borderline too warm days but extremely low humidity on them.

I don't think I'll be able to find a decent job in Tahoe and possibly not Durango. Living in Colorado closer to the mountains (or a bit up into them) is a distinct possibility. Santa Fe / Los Alamos is a distinct possibility.
Stick with the best (4) on each list.

There are plenty of great jobs near Tahoe in income tax free Carson City and between there and Tahoe.

Yes, keep SF and LAlam, NM on your list

Add some smaller college towns with climates you highlighted (Wenatchee, WA, ID Falls or Pocatella, / Sandpoint, ID comes to mind.)

Old 07-11-2018, 08:01 PM

9,175 posts, read 16,540,278 times
I haven't seen Laramie, WY mentioned. It sets at 7,100 so is fairly cool, and housing prices are pretty reasonable. University town, so it's not quite as politically conservative as most of Wyoming. It's a very small city, but jobs can be found anywhere if you hit the timing right. It does get windy there. High elevation (usually) = high winds.

Jackson Hole is always cool (or cold) and might be a nice place to live, but housing is generally very expensive, and you'd have to be lucky to find the right job. Still, if you like an area, it doesn't hurt to explore the job situation.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 AM

6,578 posts, read 5,865,569 times
Quote:
I understand it's a very narrow slice of data, but I just averaged out the highs, lows and humidity of a bunch of places loosely on my list over the next 15 days. Here's the data:

Average high:
Spokane WA - 91.6
Portland OR - 90.9
Boulder CO - 87.1
Lake Tahoe CA - 84.9
Burlington VT - 83.8
Minneapolis MN - 83.3
Durango CO - 82.4
Santa Fe NM - 81.9
Flagstaff AZ - 75.8

Average low:
Minneapolis MN - 65.8
Burlington VT - 62.9
Spokane WA - 61.8
Boulder CO - 62.0
Portland OR - 60.7
Santa Fe NM - 58.1
Flagstaff AZ - 53.4
Durango CO - 52.9
Lake Tahoe CA - 51.6

Average dew point:
Minneapolis MN - 68.6
Burlington VT - 65.9
Portland OR - 64.9
Boulder CO - 60.8
Durango CO - 60.2
Flagstaff AZ - 57.3
Spokane WA - 53.8
Santa Fe NM - 53.6
Lake Tahoe CA - 52.8

Admittedly, there were a lot of thunderstorms in the southwest and rocky mountain areas which inflated their dew points and possibly brought their average high temperatures down a bit - but from my reading, this isn't terribly unusual for July. Just going off of the next 15 days:

-Spokane WA and Portland OR are the least pleasant places to spend an afternoon outside, due to heat. Portland isn't even dry.

-Minneapolis has the worst nights of anywhere I'm considering by far, and would be a step in the wrong direction from Burlington.

-Flagstaff is borderline too cool in summer. Looks like there are days I'd want to dress warm there even in July. I'd visit though and see.

The afternoon showers are pretty normal, but the highs recently have been very high. I hope this doesn’t become normal.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The afternoon showers are pretty normal, but the highs recently have been very high. I hope this doesn’t become normal.
We've been having a freak heatwave in Burlington as well. Typically summer highs are in the upper 70's to low 80's and peak in the upper 80's, and we had a solid week of mid to upper 90's.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:02 AM

6,578 posts, read 5,865,569 times
Quote:
We've been having a freak heatwave in Burlington as well. Typically summer highs are in the upper 70's to low 80's and peak in the upper 80's, and we had a solid week of mid to upper 90's.
Yuck. The afternoon showers are awesome on the Front Range. It will usually get hot, then an afternoon thunderstorm will roll through and drop the temp by 15 degrees. Then it passes and we have an awesome, cool evening.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:26 AM

369 posts, read 115,865 times
Just comments on Cripple Creek and Durango.
I live at 7k ft. Very near Dgo. It gets into the 90's most summers, very dry, shade can make a huge difference.
I kinda doubt the Vantage operation here wil disappear, it's a huge facility. More tech companies are considering moving here as well as the Fed. BLM main headquarters.
Kinda a one off on Cripple Creek. I would not want to make that commute to the springs, tourist traffic creates a parking lot in Woodland Park. The road 24 just above Manitou is very curvy and everyone is trying to make time, including big trucks. You will be driving into the sun both AM and PM. Road from Woodland Park to Cripple Creek will get old real fast. Not fun in the winter. However, best friends live in Cripple Creek and don't even have a kitchen. They hit up the 99cent to three dollar breakfasts,Cheap lunches and diners, free cocktails. So that could offset some cost of living.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
Just comments on Cripple Creek and Durango.
I live at 7k ft. Very near Dgo. It gets into the 90's most summers, very dry, shade can make a huge difference.
I kinda doubt the Vantage operation here wil disappear, it's a huge facility. More tech companies are considering moving here as well as the Fed. BLM main headquarters.
Kinda a one off on Cripple Creek. I would not want to make that commute to the springs, tourist traffic creates a parking lot in Woodland Park. The road 24 just above Manitou is very curvy and everyone is trying to make time, including big trucks. You will be driving into the sun both AM and PM. Road from Woodland Park to Cripple Creek will get old real fast. Not fun in the winter. However, best friends live in Cripple Creek and don't even have a kitchen. They hit up the 99cent to three dollar breakfasts,Cheap lunches and diners, free cocktails. So that could offset some cost of living.
Good to know.

Some "cultural" information which might be relevant:

We're both vegetarians, and seasonally grow a lot of the food we eat. Regular fast food put my father in the ground before age 50 so I'm going to pass on that idea. I think if we found some place more permanent we might move to an indoor hydroponics system to keep growing year round. We're big into making things ourselves in our free time after work and don't participate in night life whatsoever, so access to big retail and bars is a non-issue. We just need to be able to pay the bills and maintain her health.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:09 AM

4,273 posts, read 3,961,324 times
I only just now read through your post...

Quote:

I don't mind snow. Vermont is a lot colder than Colorado. Cold isn't an issue for her health, just heat and humidity.

With all due respect, if heat is an issue and Vermont is a lot colder than Colorado, why move here? My housemate is from Maine, so I asked him which place has the cooler summers - Maine or Cortez? After he got over his astonishment at my question, he said, "Maine, no question." I would suspect that Vermont is more like Maine than it is like Cortez.

Quote:
This is extremely helpful. I'm going to start throwing in some applications in the Durago, Cortez and Farmington areas.

Good to know 7,000ft is the elevation to aim for.
I actually live in the Four Corners which includes Durango, Cortez, Farmington, etc. Durango is the only city of the three that might work for you temperature wise. However, it is a very expensive town, and the job market is highly competitive. I suggest that if at all possible, you visit Durango (in the summer) before you set your heart on it.

DO NOT MOVE TO CORTEZ OR FARMINGTON FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR WIFE'S HEALTH!

You need to consider latitude in addition to elevation. A community at 7,000 feet in the area of Colorado Springs is not the same as Cortez which is 130 miles further south than the Springs. Montezuma County (where Cortez is located) averages from 6,000 - 7,000 feet in elevation, yet the average July temperature here is 89 F. That's the average - here in the real world of climate change, Cortez's daily temps have been 4F - 10F ABOVE average. The summer monsoon which usually arrives in July cools things down to some extent. However, the trade-off is the increase in humidity. There are days when the humidity is so high that I think I've been transported back to Kentucky.

Farmington is worse. Their historical high temp for the month of July is 90 F. I just glanced at their 10 day forecast, and the average high for the next 10 days will be more like 95 F. Plus Farmington gets the monsoon as well, so the humidity will be fairly high for around here. You have the best chance of finding work in Farmington - it's a big oil and gas town where Kinder Morgan reigns supreme, but forget having any mountain views or greenery. The Farmington metro area sprawls all over the place and you need to be careful which area you decide to live in. Some places have high gang activity and/or are hostile to outsiders. I have a friend who grew up in Aztec (basically a suburb of Farmington), and I was astonished when he gave me the insider's tour on one of his visits back home.

The Four Corners is a wonderful place to live for many, but come here expecting it to be something that it's not, and it can turn into a place that you want nothing more than to escape from. Again, come out and visit in the summer before you decide on any town out here.

Me, I'd look into northern Idaho. The climate is cooler, it's as scenic as Colorado and probably cheaper.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 07-12-2018 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: kitten on the keys ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado