U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 AM

6,542 posts, read 5,852,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
There's a difference between altitude sickness and being lightheaded/short of breath, and physical fitness does help with the latter. (I know you know this, Skydog, but it wasn't clear in your description.)

And for the OP, airlines are typically pressurized to the equivalent of being at 6000-8000 ft.
Fair point. The shortness of breath for sure. The lightheaded bit can be one of the early signs of AMS.

This is the generally accepted score sheet used to evaluate:

http://www.adventuremedicalconsultin...escore_001.pdf

Mild headache combined with mild dizziness and mild fatigue is enough to qualify.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 07-05-2018 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:38 AM

3,100 posts, read 1,469,173 times
It depends on the person. One of my kids needs a full 24 hrs of feeling horrible here before he can even function and I'm at 6100 ft. He gets horrible headaches even without exertion. My other two just need to be careful with alcohol and doing too much, but light hikes are fine for them on the first day. They just expect to feel a bit fatigued. They are all in their 20's and in good shape. I don't remember having any major issues when we visited here or when we moved. Just some lightheadedness at the Alpine Visitor Center on Trail Ridge Rd, and in Leadville. My husband came out for a business trip once and his group went directly from the airport to walking around Red Rocks. He was horribly sick for about 8 hours, but was the only one in his group affected. Everyone is different.

Last edited by Gorges; 07-05-2018 at 08:46 AM..

Old 07-05-2018, 08:44 AM

6,158 posts, read 9,451,530 times
Down on the flat you'll probably feel a little fatigued and thirsty. In Estes you could be a little lightheaded and possibly have a mild headache.

I personally don't notice the elevation until around 11,000'.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:00 AM

30 posts, read 9,309 times
Great information everyone and wow, all within 2 hrs! Thank you very much

It looks like the highest we'll get will be around 7,500'. Our first day (Sunday) will be around Fort Collins followed by Monday's jaunt up to Estes. Our son's want to go to CSU so it's kind of a "get to know the area" type trip. I know that's not possible in 3 days but since we're in Phoenix on Saturday (wife's GM 100th birthday!), we thought we'd fly North and spend some time together.. a not-so-often occurrence given the last 25 years

Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:04 AM

15,640 posts, read 8,764,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
Great information everyone and wow, all within 2 hrs! Thank you very much

It looks like the highest we'll get will be around 7,500'. Our first day (Sunday) will be around Fort Collins followed by Monday's jaunt up to Estes. Our son's want to go to CSU so it's kind of a "get to know the area" type trip. I know that's not possible in 3 days but since we're in Phoenix on Saturday (wife's GM 100th birthday!), we thought we'd fly North and spend some time together.. a not-so-often occurrence given the last 25 years

Thanks again.
Do you have a potential Ram in the family? One of my kids attends CSU. Loves it there!

Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 AM

30 posts, read 9,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Do you have a potential Ram in the family? One of my kids attends CSU. Loves it there!
Unfortunately no, but we're all big college football fans. Glad he/she is doing well there

Old 07-05-2018, 06:31 PM

653 posts, read 342,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
There's a difference between altitude sickness and being lightheaded/short of breath, and physical fitness does help with the latter. (I know you know this, Skydog, but it wasn't clear in your description.)

And for the OP, airlines are typically pressurized to the equivalent of being at 6000-8000 ft.
But how active are most people on an airplane, and how long are you aboard.

Drinks lots of fluids, go slow, find shade, and hopefully you donít have underlying heart or lung disease.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:05 PM

666 posts, read 651,913 times
Flying from sea level to Denver with a cold was a shocker but, for me, it mainly manifested in feeling tired and grumpy because of all the things others have stated. I'm overweight, though. It took me two days to adjust. I'll bet you all fine if you do the things they are saying.

Mainly, just don't try to "run a race" and do everything in those 3 days. It's not going to happen and you'll have a bad time because your body will be mad at you. Take in a few things, relax, enjoy, and plan your next trip.

And you may already know this being from CA, but you can't have enough chapstick nearby.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:43 AM

2,432 posts, read 3,266,779 times
I still get altitude sickness and I've lived here over 20 years. If you start to feel a headache come on start your decent. Likely you will feel bad in Estes park or RMNP if you are going to feel it. Some do, some don't. I do. You likely won't know if you are susceptible until you feel it. The easiest way to handle it is just start to drive downhill until the feeling goes away.

Don't worry about missing things. There are loads of fabulous things to see at lower altitudes such as Red Rocks Park in the Denver area.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:24 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,688,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I still get altitude sickness and I've lived here over 20 years.
Yeah I've lived here my entire life and have some family here going back to the 1860s back 6-7 generations and I still get it too. I notice it on top of a 14er for sure - almost always get a headache there - maybe timberline and above is where I most notice it. It is not just a matter of acclimatization and fitness - it comes down to basic biology and how you're put together - genetically speaking and physiologically speaking some people are better designed for altitude than others. The sherpas etc. in Nepal have a genetic mutation that makes them disposed to be able to process oxygen much better at altitude than any other humans - this mutation has been shown to derive from the Denisovans, a hominid similar to Neanderthals that we so far know very little about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or