U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:42 PM

395 posts, read 228,572 times

Advertisements

Durango was one of the places that caught my eye on a visit to the state two years ago.
Can any locals chime in on the pros/cons of living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 03:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 3,732,003 times
The pros include close access to wild areas for a range of activities. And the area is big enough that you can get most of what you'd want in the way of goods & services. A potential con is that is not that big and isolated, so the event calendar may be repetitive and not busy or exciting enough for everybody.

What are you SEEKING? What are your positive priorities?

Old 07-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Status: "She was warned yet STILL she persisted" (set 8 days ago)

4,626 posts, read 4,204,811 times
Well, since no one has replied to your question so far, I guess I'll jump in.

So much depends on your personal situation - planning on buying a home? If so what's your price range? Looking for work? What's your field? Married? Single? Kids? Crazy for the out-of-doors or want cultural amenities as well?

I'm a Colorado native, so I can get very picky over stuff that others don't even notice. I lived in Durango for 10 years back in the 80's. Needless to say, the town has changed considerably since then. It has gotten very yuppified/ski resort chic and way overpriced. People who come from some place like Seattle or San Francisco think Durango real estate is reasonably priced, but many of the rest of us don't. The setting is very scenic and very congested. I curse the traffic every time I have to drive to Durango. Of course, if you're from the Big City, you may not even notice.

Durango is certainly a happening place with many things to do, and the presence of Fort Lewis College gives it a certain cultural ambiance that may be missing from other Colorado mountain towns. If you ski, you can choose from Wolf Creek or Purgatory or even Telluride - all great ski areas within a reasonable distance from Durango.

On the down side, the Four Corners has been experiencing its worst drought in 50 years - maybe longer. We have had two major wildfires already this summer - the Burro fire and the 416 fire which necessitated the evacuation of over 1300 homes and businesses. The San Juan National Forest was closed for the first time in its history. The American West is no stranger to wildfire and Durango is no exception. Durango has seen worse fires in the past, and it will see more in the future as the climate grows warmer and periods of drought increase.

I don't mean to depict the Four Corners as one of Dante's inner circles of hell - far from it. I live in Cortez and as I type I can glance out my window at green fields beneath a badly needed shower of summer rain. I suggest you come out for a real visit - not just a drive-by, and see what you think. Visit the towns of Mancos and Dolores - maybe even Ridgway. Housing tends to be cheaper in these towns and they are quite scenic and less congested than Durango. Like any place, there are pluses and minuses to Durango and the Four Corners in general. Only you can decide if this area is right for you. Best of luck!

Old 07-11-2018, 05:19 PM

2,520 posts, read 2,138,160 times
Speaking of Durango....when is the best time to visit Mesa Verde NP? Haven't had the chance to check it out when I lived in CO years ago.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 PM

598 posts, read 708,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Speaking of Durango....when is the best time to visit Mesa Verde NP? Haven't had the chance to check it out when I lived in CO years ago.
To avoid the crowds late fall is my favorite.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 PM

4,899 posts, read 2,478,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Winter. NO crowds. You can drive part of the way in and park, then xc ski or hike.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
The pros include close access to wild areas for a range of activities. And the area is big enough that you can get most of what you'd want in the way of goods & services. A potential con is that is not that big and isolated, so the event calendar may be repetitive and not busy or exciting enough for everybody.

What are you SEEKING? What are your positive priorities?

I'm mainly seeking a great town or city that is close to the outdoors, and I dislike urban sprawl, cookie cutter suburbs, traffic congestion, crime, and the other negatives that come with living in a big city, which is why I'm focusing on smaller or medium size cities.

I love outdoorsy activities...hiking, cycling, nature photography, kayaking, etc.

I was also looking at Colorado Springs, which might be small enough to meet my criteria.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Well, since no one has replied to your question so far, I guess I'll jump in.

So much depends on your personal situation - planning on buying a home? If so what's your price range? Looking for work? What's your field? Married? Single? Kids? Crazy for the out-of-doors or want cultural amenities as well?

Yes, I'll either buy a home or buy land and have one built.
I don't really have a price range, basically anything under 10 million. I would never spend that much on a home unless it completely blew me away. I'll just say maybe 2 million tops. Anything more would have to be extraordinary and come with a good amount of land. For the actual house, I won't need anything more than 4,000 sq ft.

Not looking for work, I can do everything online. I love the outdoors and I'm looking for a place with mountain views, pine forests, rivers, canyons, etc. But I want the place to also have decent amenities and culture. Durango is probaly the smallest of the towns I'm looking at. The largest would be Colorado Springs. Somehwere in the middle is Flagstaff AZ, Prescott AZ, and Santa Fe NM.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 3,732,003 times
Using another site that provides government data, it appears that Santa Fe has modestly higher violent crime rate than the other 3 (in a virtual tie for best) and the highest property crime rate too. Prescott safest on reported property crime rate, then Durango, then Flagstaff. On average income, it is Durango first, then Santa Fe and Flagstaff then Prescott. On % with 4 year degrees, it is Durango first, then Santa Fe and Flagstaff in middle and Prescott lowest, though well above national average. Santa Fe has the by far highest Democratic % of voter registrations, with Durango and Flagstaff well behind but in middle and Prescott as far away from the middle as Santa Fe is.

Climate, recreational and cultural ratings are out there but folks wil vary on what they value and believe.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:45 PM

369 posts, read 137,342 times
No offense to the OP ment. Durango has lost a lot of what made it attractive since I moved here in 77. Precisely due to the number of people relocating.
I don't want to see what the traffic will be in just five years. You can't efficiently move the number of vehicles that come thru the narrow corridor from the south,east,north and west. It has become a four season destination, so it's year round.
Durango is first and foremost a tourist destination. It's attractions have impacted it in ways that make it both untenable and a haven for the homeless. I challenge anyone to find more, per capita not for profits to enable any and all perceived underprivileged.
Colo. Rambler's got it right by moving to the fringe.
Looking to relocate to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or