U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 09:11 AM

77 posts, read 61,710 times

Advertisements

1: I have a job there already.

2: I used to live in Montana (right on the Continental Divide).

3: I have a job there already. (Sorry for the repeat but I've read tons of threads which revolve around not having a job and wanting a job and moving anyway).

4: We are relocating sometime between end of August and end of December.

5: We will be having a child after the first of the year.

6: The wife has put her foot down (after two houses and two renovations): "I'd rather live in a double wide on 40 acres than ever have to renovate a house again. I'll paint it, but that's it"

I don't blame her.

Have a few questions, mainly revolving around neighborhoods and whatnot and hope to get some guidance because we really don't know what we want (there will be a house hunting trip in August but would like to start narrowing down our focus to maximize our time).

With that said, we have no idea what we are looking for. When we lived in Montana we lived in a 1900s Victorian in town and could walk to coffee shops or the farmer's market and to grab a cocktail and liked it, but we always wanted more yard - I wanted 20 acres, she just wants enough to be able to throw baseballs and play catch.

Here where we are currently, in WV, we have a 1970s split level we've been in endless renovations, there are no sidewalks anywhere, the streets aren't marked, and there are severe drop offs (seriously, the worst roads anywhere I've ever lived, and that includes the extremes of MT), so even riding a bike involves putting it in your car and driving 2 miles (which takes 12 minutes) to a trail...

So we're back and forth: a couple acres outside of town where I can come home from work, jump on a dirt bike and just ride around on my own property? Or a small bungalow near a downtown area (and it doesn't matter if it's Palisade, Fruita, or GJ downtown) where we can walk to get coffee on weekends and go to a farmer's market?

I heard, but not confirmed, that it's kind of "ok" to ride a dirt bike quietly through Fruita to get to BLM land and not get harassed - true?

We also are toying with the idea of a pool, not that I'd build one, but if a house popped up with an in-ground pool that would probably take my mind off of 40 acres and a mule. But then we started wondering how many months could we seriously get use out of a pool...

I know, I know, this is rambling. Let me sum up:

1: How difficult is it to get from any of the tree-lined neighborhoods within walking distance (we consider about a mile, to mile and a half each way "walking" distance) to a downtown (any downtown area) to "dirt bike riding areas"? The more I have to load them into a truck and drive somewhere to ride, the less likely I am to do that.

2: Is Clifton still that bad? I hate thieves. Thievery is the one thing I won't abide. I heard there's a lot of petty thievery crime in Clifton.

3: Is Glade Park worth considering? Looks like there are properties up there, but commuting back and forth might be a bear, and leaving a wife and baby up there...well there's not much socialization that's going to happen from the looks of it.

4: How easy is it to commute by motorcycle almost year-round? Here in WV there's no street motorcycle riding from October through April and sometimes into May due to either the ice, the salt, or the never ending 40 degree drizzling rain (and 40 degrees in WV feels like -20 in Colorado).

Anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 AM

448 posts, read 184,406 times
1. The tree lined streets are in and around GJ's historic downtown and Palisade as well, so getting out to dirt bike areas is going to take a little bit of effort. Fruita or Palisade may be closer, but there are less trees in Fruita. Much of Fruita is still considered agricultural land, so taxes are cheaper and land is more open to whatever you want to do with it. Palisade might be overall closer to rural dirt roads, but the downtown is tiny. So trade offs no matter what.
2. Yes, Clifton is an unplanned, trailer park hell hole, with a few exceptions and I am only exaggerating a little. If you want easy access to meth, or to park your car on your front lawn, Clifton is your town.
3. Glade Park is rural.
4. There are winter months that are dry, but cold. It just depends on what you want to ride in. Colorado has 300+ days of sunshine, but not every one of them is warm.

As for anything else, there are new neighborhoods being built in Palisade and Grand Junction right now. There is a construction boom out there so costs are rising and time lines are lengthening. Also check out http://www.970prop.com/ for RE.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:21 AM

77 posts, read 61,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
your post.
Thanks. Good information.

$500k is my cap (which may come down depending on how selling the house here in WV goes). For that much money I'd want the 40 acres. In town I'd prefer an older house with wood floors and character.

We definitely don't want a neighborhood where you look out of your window and see into your neighbor's window. Being from Montana we still value our space, even if it's just a bit of space.

Also just to clarify - I'm not one of those guys who goes screaming on my bikes through streets popping wheelies, when I meant "ride through town" I was thinking like when I was in MT, which was about a mile through tree lined neighborhoods, quietly, keeping the noise down, to get to dirt roads leading to BLM land. The other types give us considerate types a bad name...

Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 AM

448 posts, read 184,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneVespa View Post
Thanks. Good information.

$500k is my cap (which may come down depending on how selling the house here in WV goes). For that much money I'd want the 40 acres. In town I'd prefer an older house with wood floors and character.

We definitely don't want a neighborhood where you look out of your window and see into your neighbor's window. Being from Montana we still value our space, even if it's just a bit of space.

Also just to clarify - I'm not one of those guys who goes screaming on my bikes through streets popping wheelies, when I meant "ride through town" I was thinking like when I was in MT, which was about a mile through tree lined neighborhoods, quietly, keeping the noise down, to get to dirt roads leading to BLM land. The other types give us considerate types a bad name...
I think using the 970props link is going to be your best friend to find acreage. Have you looked down near Whitewater?

If you can, ride your motor cycle down to Gateway and Nucla. Some of the prettiest scenery in Colorado and few people ever take the time to see it.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:46 AM

4,294 posts, read 6,422,551 times
From the MC side, CO is (or used to be, I've been gone for a few years) very friendly towards dual-sport conversions. It just wasn't hard to get a plate... so, if you're willing to go that route there may be no issue with needing to trailer. I guess it depends on if you're riding a MX/SX bike or more of a trail bike.

Have you hit up ADV rider's Rockies forum? It's mostly front-range yuppies with more money than sense, , but there were always a few folks out GJ way. They can at least get you sorted on the riding aspect... and you can easily ride most of the year there. Moab was always The destination for winter riding, but we all rode in the GJ area too (cheaper, something different, slightly less drive).

Old 07-11-2018, 07:33 PM

43 posts, read 40,111 times
I live in the Redlands.

I would not live in Clifton.

I have a coworker who lives in Fruita and she was griping recently about "all the bums just wandering the streets."

$500k will get you a really nice house but the idea of a house on couple acres close in to town, well I'd be really surprised if you could find that.

The Glade Park area is interesting, but I think the commute to town would get real old, real fast.

I see people riding bikes almost year around, as long as there's not snow/ice on the road (which is really pretty rare here). That being said I don't think I would try riding a non-plated bike on the streets, sooner or later somebody will turn you in; the idea of a dual sport bike (plated) is a good one.

Real estate has always been busy here (I've been here 24 years) and there are lots of hard working real estate agents. I would just look for references and then pick one to act as a buyer's agent, tell them what you're looking for, and let them do the legwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado